BajaNomad

Cast Nets,

Fishmagician - 6-4-2012 at 11:11 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong! I was told some time ago that gringos were not allowed to use cast nets to gather bait or to fish, if this is not correct, I would like to know. Yesterday while looking at some old articles written by a gringo fisherman, fishing the east cape, he described using his cast net to gather live bait. This was in contradiction of what I had been told.

Idont think so

captkw - 6-4-2012 at 11:43 AM

I dont know the current laws on that but I bought onei n la paz 20 something years ago and convinced the wife that it would save us money because I could catch my own bait...Not !! I never could get the hang of tossing that damn thing and also learned not to buy a big one to start as beginner and have never heard that a non local cant use one..but hopefully someone has a rulebook..LOL K & T :cool:

Cisco - 6-4-2012 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I dont know the current laws on that but I bought onei n la paz 20 something years ago and convinced the wife that it would save us money because I could catch my own bait...Not !! I never could get the hang of tossing that damn thing and also learned not to buy a big one to start as beginner and have never heard that a non local cant use one..but hopefully someone has a rulebook..LOL K & T :cool:

You can get the "swing" of them quite easily after a few hours practice. (don't be wearing false teeth).

Cheap and easy. Wal-Mart should have them for $30 or $40. For bait get the 3/8" mesh.

classicbajabronco - 6-4-2012 at 11:56 AM

It is illegal for any sport fisherman to use a cast net in mexico regardless of nationality, only commercial guys are allowed. It is written on the back of the sportfishing license too if I recall correctly.

That being said...everyone uses them. and they are readily available for purchase.

Fishmagician - 6-4-2012 at 02:19 PM

;);) Sounds like we plenty of law and no enforcement. I used on in Florida for a short time to catch my bait. Geeezzzzzzzzzz I just sent my cast net to Florida to my youngest fisherman.. ;D;D;D

Oso - 6-4-2012 at 03:01 PM

You're not supposed to dig for clams either, or dive for them or lobster, or drink beer while driving. But hey, it's Mexico not the great nanny state of California.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by Oso]

BajaJeeper - 6-6-2012 at 06:28 AM

I have been told that while illegal, it is considered OK unless there are local panga guys selling bait. Then you are expected to buy from them.

So it depends upon place and time.

cast nets and baja

captkw - 6-6-2012 at 06:31 AM

the only thing that is consistant in baja is that its inconsistant !! LOL..K & T..:lol:

chuckie - 6-6-2012 at 08:34 AM

Gringos who use cast nets are easily identified by their missing front teeth..

Hook - 6-6-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaJeeper
I have been told that while illegal, it is considered OK unless there are local panga guys selling bait. Then you are expected to buy from them.

So it depends upon place and time.

This, more than anything I've ever seen written, may be the essence of Mexican law enforcement. :smug:

Cypress - 6-6-2012 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Gringos who use cast nets are easily identified by their missing front teeth..

Good one!!:biggrin:

Fishmagician - 6-6-2012 at 12:11 PM

Your humor is appreciated and on target

surfdoc - 6-8-2012 at 12:41 PM

Learned to throw one in South Carolina and will have a 5'r on the boat this coming season...
Carnada Viva in BA :D