BajaNomad

La Paz June 2012

acadist - 6-6-2012 at 06:05 PM

Wish I had a better report, fished Monday out of Las Arenas. Was worried about the wind but although breezy in town it was nice and calm at the beach. In a nutshell, slow scratchy day: farmed the first bite that looked like it was a wahoo, caught a small white Bonita, fished for bait and the boys enjoyed catching something, that was about it. Tried for roosters and bottom fish, got out the light tackle with a krocodile and got a couple of good bites, one to the bottom lost in the rocks and one that took about 150 yards straight out and surfaced and spit the hook, definitely overpowered.
Went out Wednesday again, started by trolling for wahoo and bam! My first wahoo about 25#

Also the boys caught 2 brute Bonita that we gave to the shark guys for bait. Bought baby needlefish for bait and proceeded to bouy jump looking for dorado. The gouty bouy produced a couple of peanuts, great for the boys. Tried some more, saw a huge boil (tuna?) but by the time we got there the had dove and trilled the area for nada. Worked our way back to the bouy that produced and got a couple of more small ones.

AJ caught one completely by himself, set the hook and all. They maybe small but these 2 will never forget catching Thier first dorado....in 10 years you know they will be bigger, lol. We then tried trolling for roosters ending jogging the reef but nothing else.
Not the most productive trip but a great time fishing with the boys in Baja.
Tomorrowthe beach and maybe I can get in a little surf fishing.

Udo - 6-6-2012 at 06:20 PM

Terrific report, Dave.

No one on BLOODYDECKS could have done better!@

acadist - 6-6-2012 at 07:59 PM

Ty Udo, probably post it there tomorrow. Too full now of dorado tacos

BajaBruno - 6-6-2012 at 08:12 PM

Way to go, Dave. You are right, those boys will not forget this trip, and I doubt you will, either.

I wish, however, that you had better news about the dorado. I was just thinking about making the trip down there from Loreto, where things are pretty slow right now (except for yellowtail).

Keep having fun.

Christopher

chuckie - 6-7-2012 at 02:42 AM

Very slow in Mulege as well..going out in about an hour...report later

acadist - 6-7-2012 at 07:45 AM

Water is murky and too cool, even trolling near the beach for roosters could not see the rocks clearly. Wish I wAs fishing today, first day of dead calm and the bay looks like glass.

shari - 6-7-2012 at 08:53 AM

nice to see the kids again with fish in their hands!!! Stop in here on your way home...Juan is getting "a fish every drop" these days bottom fishing...the kids would love it..plus the halibut are now back at the town beach in Asuncion.

Fishmagician - 6-7-2012 at 11:51 AM

Great to see the little ones out there. Fishing should pick up when the moon shuts down a little.

[Edited on 6-7-2012 by Fishmagician]

acadist - 6-8-2012 at 04:08 AM

Yesterday we did not fish but heard they killed the yellowtail, limits up to 50# by 10:30 on the La Paz. Good thing that thanks to Coochie and Stan in Ansuncion in Nov we still have a little yellowtail in the freezer.

BajaBruno - 6-8-2012 at 01:31 PM

Dave, is that your boat, or did you rent a panga?

acadist - 6-12-2012 at 06:47 PM

Panga, In La Paz I book through Tailhunter. May cost a little more but I like the service and have used the same captain for 3-4 years now. They really work hard to make me happy. He asked me if I had a boat and I told him 'if I had a boat, no Pancho!'