BajaNomad

bringing a boat across the border

yakyak2010 - 6-8-2012 at 05:09 PM

I've read a bunch of posts lately about needing some sort of license for your boat when you cross the border. So many different opinions, but I need facts. I'm taking a 16' 8" boat from Cal. thru Mexicali to Puertocitos and going back to Cal. 3 or 4 days later with the same boat. What is required? Your best guess isn't much help, I need to know what I need to make this trip. In the past they checked ATV registration and ignored the boat. Any help will be appreciated.

Bob and Susan - 6-8-2012 at 05:23 PM

registration for trailer and boat...i watched it in tj for about 45 minutes while waiting for the import guy...i was in line

for the usa side...you need registration only sometimes but if you dont have it they can be a little testy

Facts????

bajaguy - 6-8-2012 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yakyak2010
I've read a bunch of posts lately about needing some sort of license for your boat when you cross the border. So many different opinions, but I need facts........... What is required? Your best guess isn't much help, I need to know what I need to make this trip............

You are asking for absolutes.......there are NO absolutes in Mexico.

Bring your current boat AND trailer registration. Don't forget to insure your boat trailer as well as your car/truck

Skipjack Joe - 6-8-2012 at 06:18 PM

They always ask me for the boat registration and now I always have them. They let me slide the first time and let me pass without the documents.

Nan&D - 6-8-2012 at 06:23 PM

Is there still a 10 year import permit issued?
D

BajaBruno - 6-8-2012 at 06:27 PM

I just drove through a week ago. The Mexican border fellows only wanted to see the boat registration--they didn't ask for the trailer or truck. The U.S. side has never asked me for anything but a passport.

That's the status as of "now," but that doesn't mean it will be valid next week. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Mexican side had never asked me for a boat registration before, so that changed. I have never been asked for insurance by anyone, even the Federal Camino Police on the rare times they have stopped me. But, maybe next time--one can never know.

Just have all your paperwork available as if you were preparing to be stopped by the police in the states and I doubt you will have a problem.

When dealing with officials, I live by the mantra to smile, be nice, give what's asked and no more, volunteer no information that is not requested, and just keep it businesslike, i.e. shut up until a question is asked.

Hook - 6-8-2012 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nan&;D
Is there still a 10 year import permit issued?
D

Yes, it is still issued.

Nan&D - 6-8-2012 at 06:53 PM

What's needed for the 10-year?
Current registration?
D

boat and reg

captkw - 6-8-2012 at 08:55 PM

myself I also bring my pinks !!! K & T :cool:

thebajarunner - 6-8-2012 at 09:16 PM

Just wondering- why in the world would you bring pinks?

That is never part of documentation on either side, in my experience

And all it would take would be for a guy with an attitude to just "disappear" your docs and you are having a serious problem.

Cannot imagine that pinks add anything to the solution- maybe a copy that has been notarized??? (Mexicans love notary since it has a much greater legal standing in Mexico than in US)

pinks

captkw - 6-8-2012 at 09:32 PM

Hi bajarunner,roger on the notary in baja/mex..hope your brother inlaw is doing good !! about pinks..I have dragged a boat from santa cruz calif. to alaska and south to panama and dont get any grief about ownership and if I want/need to sell !! and I keep the pinks in their own litte stash !!K & T

pinks

john/gerda - 6-8-2012 at 09:51 PM

about having "pinks"....wasn't there a few months back, a lady who saw/found her truck, going down hwy 1 that had been stolen. All good but unless she produced her ownership title the police would not return vehicle. Seems like as good as any of a reason to carry it,,,,,,,

I personally would not not keep it in the glove box.....

pinks and boats

captkw - 6-8-2012 at 09:58 PM

Hola,, ya keep them well hidden and you never know when you might need them !! K & T :cool:

Bob and Susan - 6-9-2012 at 05:47 AM

you dont need the pinks or cert of titles...only current registration

leave them home

in baja no need for the 10 year import permit anymore UNLESS you plan to leave the boat in baja for extended periods of time

bob and susan

captkw - 6-9-2012 at 06:23 AM

having the pinks leave you the freedom of selling if U decide or if said vessel gets damaged and you want to off it..for me its a no brainer of keeping the pinks with you as they do nobody any good kept in a safe !! ps did you read the post I put up about soldering and crimping ??K & T :cool:

bill erhardt - 6-9-2012 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
in baja no need for the 10 year import permit anymore UNLESS you plan to leave the boat in baja for extended periods of time

No need for the TIP to get a boat across the border, but more and more facilities, such as the marinas at Puerto Escondido, south of Loreto, and the new marina at San Jose, require both a TIP and proof of on the water liability insurance to use the launch ramp or boatyard. It matters not whether you plan to be in Mexico for only a week, or indefinitely, to launch you need a TIP.....

tip

captkw - 6-9-2012 at 06:46 AM

HOLA,is a tip the import permit and when did this crap start ?? K & T:?:

bill erhardt - 6-9-2012 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,is a tip the import permit and when did this crap start ?? K & T:?:

The TIP requirement is not new, but enforcement is increasing. Ten years ago I had to get a TIP to use a boatyard in Cabo.
It is easy to get a TIP online and the cost is about $5/year.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports...

boats and a tip

captkw - 6-9-2012 at 07:08 AM

wow!! times are a changing !! so does this apply to trailer boats ?? and is it enforced now ??:?:

shari - 6-9-2012 at 07:15 AM

People are being asked for their TIP by fisheries who check for licenses too...there is increased enforcement everywhere these days so it would be wise to get it....I believe it is only for boats over 15'.

suffering suckatash.. more rules !!

captkw - 6-9-2012 at 07:22 AM

bill erhardt - 6-9-2012 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
wow!! times are a changing !! so does this apply to trailer boats ?? and is it enforced now ??:?:

Again, what is changing is enforcement. The TIP requirement has been the same for at least ten years.
When you apply for a TIP on a boat you can opt to include a trailer, or not.
The online process is very easy. When I bought a new boat in August, 2010, before I closed on the boat I got from the builder the hull number, motor serial number, and VIN for the new trailer. I submitted the application online and had the TIP sent to the factory in Florida. When I went back to get the boat the TIP was there waiting.

Pinks- safe place?

thebajarunner - 6-9-2012 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Hi bajarunner,roger on the notary in baja/mex..hope your brother inlaw is doing good !! about pinks..I have dragged a boat from santa cruz calif. to alaska and south to panama and dont get any grief about ownership and if I want/need to sell !! and I keep the pinks in their own litte stash !!K & T

OK, I think I understand and agree,
the bad part is that most folks think a "safe place" is a glove box stash, and if your truck gets heisted, likely the boat is attached and going down the road with its ownership papers.....
So, stash them out of the rigs, and I would agree.

Short note on Alec, second surgery Thursday, drained a liter of "junk" out of his lung sac, still in ICU but off the ventilator,
hoping he can walk a bit today- 8 days is a long time to not walk or stand! More on that when it is definitive, but thanks for asking...

Nan&D - 6-9-2012 at 09:04 AM

Shari, do you know if I need a TIP on a 14' boat to get Biosphere boat permit?
D

shari - 6-9-2012 at 03:15 PM

I'll have to check...I doubt it.