BajaNomad

US registration needed for inflatable to cross the border?

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2012 at 09:46 AM

I bought a new 9' rib inflatable and 6hp motor as a tender for my new boat. The boat is a USCG documented vessel so it has no US state registration, the tender is new and I hadn't planned on registering it in the US as it will probably not be coming back to the US. I will have a MSO and sales receipt for the inflatable. The inflatable and motor will be deflated in the back of the pick up. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of bringing tenders to Baja?

edit: only the boat will be deflated, not the motor:lol:

[Edited on 6-9-2012 by dtbushpilot]

gnukid - 6-9-2012 at 10:08 AM

Registration is not required for a boat that is a tender to larger documented vessel, hard to imagine the little dingy is documented unless it is accompanying the larger vessel. Do you have the CG documents? Do you have a title? That would help.

It is not required that the dingy or I believe boats under 12 feet to be registered, unless they are motorized, and yours is not, necessarily motorized since the motor is not mounted. The motor could be for another purpose. Bring copy of the title if one exists.

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2012 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Registration is not required for a boat that is a tender to larger documented vessel, hard to imagine the little dingy is documented unless it is accompanying the larger vessel. Do you have the CG documents? Do you have a title? That would help.

It is not required that the dingy or I believe boats under 12 feet to be registered, unless they are motorized, and yours is not, necessarily motorized since the motor is not mounted. The motor could be for another purpose. Bring copy of the title if one exists.

The big boat is documented, the dingy is new and I will have the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that you need to get a title and registration along with a bill of sale. If I were to say that the motor was for a different boat they might want me to pay taxes and importation on it.

Has anyone brought a tender into MX with a trailerable mother ship?

dingee

captkw - 6-9-2012 at 03:55 PM

do you have a bill of laden ?I dont know if worst marine can follow the paper trail but that will work with regard to no reg.I used to be a boat dealer and sent some out to guys going to mex and canada..K & T :cool:

JZ - 6-9-2012 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid

The big boat is documented, the dingy is new and I will have the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that you need to get a title and registration along with a bill of sale. If I were to say that the motor was for a different boat they might want me to pay taxes and importation on it.

Has anyone brought a tender into MX with a trailerable mother ship?

I have many times and no one ever asked me about it. Although I can't tell you they ever saw it for certain or what the exact rules are. I never had my registration however.

But my next trip down I'll be without the big boat and carrying it on the roof. I'll take my registration just in case.

Udo - 6-9-2012 at 06:38 PM

My kayak was on the roof, and the Mexican customs were working very hard to try to make me declare it (@Otai Mesa).
They would not have done that @ Tecate.

Bob and Susan - 6-9-2012 at 07:13 PM

i think this means you should import it since it's not coming back and its new:light:

Quote:
...I bought a new 9' rib inflatable and 6hp motor as a tender for my new boat.... the tender is new and I hadn't planned on registering it in the US as it will probably not be coming back to the US....

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2012 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i think this means you should import it since it's not coming back and its new:light:

Quote:
...I bought a new 9' rib inflatable and 6hp motor as a tender for my new boat.... the tender is new and I hadn't planned on registering it in the US as it will probably not be coming back to the US....

That may be the right thing to do, I would rather not spend money unnecessarily but I don't have an issue with following the MX law. I'll see what it would take to register it in CA before I leave, if I can get it done in 2 days for not much money I might do that or just go to TJ and roll the dice......thanks for all the advice.....dt

ncampion - 6-10-2012 at 06:28 AM

Quote:

That may be the right thing to do, I would rather not spend money unnecessarily but I don't have an issue with following the MX law. I'll see what it would take to register it in CA before I leave, if I can get it done in 2 days for not much money I might do that or just go to TJ and roll the dice......thanks for all the advice.....dt

AAA, 15 minutes, in and out, registration in hand. Only problem is they will want to collect the DMV graft, er... tax on the purchase price of the boat, which will be significant on a new RIB.

durrelllrobert - 6-12-2012 at 09:10 AM

The motor could be for another purpose.