BajaNomad

What happened? The big pond dried up.....

Fishmagician - 6-14-2012 at 04:57 PM

I know someone fished this week and over the next weekend...We need photos and data.....don't let us down:tumble:

BajaBruno - 6-14-2012 at 11:31 PM

I fished Loreto last week and Mulege the week before. When I left Loreto a couple days ago the yellowtail bite was still on at San Bruno (the one just north of Loreto, rather than the one just south of Mulege) though I did catch a nice one off of Punta Lobos on the surface. The water temp was cool (mid 70's) so the pelagic fish had not shown up yet, though I caught a decent 25# dorado (weighed by Bill Erhart on his new digital scale) about 35 miles straight off the harbor. I also saw a billfish or two, but they were not interested in my offerings. There were some weedlines and the occasional small paddy, but nothing was underneath them.

Mulege was very slow. No dorado, sailfish, etc., though the inshore fishing was decent. The weather was varied in both locations. Mornings often were smooth and flat, afternoons were nearly always rough and windy.

That's all, folks!

bill erhardt - 6-15-2012 at 04:55 AM

Chris (BajaBruno) with keeper dorado at the marina in Loreto......

bruno.JPG - 41kB

Hook - 6-15-2012 at 05:04 AM

The fishing is REALLY good over here. One friend of mine caught 13 dorado yesterday with three of them over 30#. They had live bait that they had been given offshore, found a paddy, and were fly-lining for about 2 hours. The paddy was only about 5 x 5. The boat that gave them the bait had about a 25# YFT.

Basically, it's the best start to the dorado season I have seen in the four years I have lived here in San Carlos. Every day YFT come in, as well as lots of released stripers, sails and blues.

But that pales in comparison to a friend who fished the Bahamas last month. He SAYS in one day they caught 26 dorado, all over 30#, 4 YFT and two wahoo. All of that from a 19 foot Whaler. All on the troll. Best day of fishing from a private boat I have ever heard.

shari - 6-15-2012 at 08:09 AM

Hook...I'm sure your friend released those fish right? The limit per person to keep is 2 a day for dorado.

Fishmagician - 6-15-2012 at 08:09 AM

:wow: Nice lookin dorado, even better on the grill.

thank you shari !!

captkw - 6-15-2012 at 08:10 AM

BajaBruno - 6-15-2012 at 08:20 AM

Hook, I was reading about the great days you and the other San Carlos folks were having as I was burning petrol for naught on the wrong side. If my little boat could have gotten me over there I would not have hesitated. It is easy to see why the fish are along the mainland--water temps are much higher over there.

Bill, thanks for the photo and all your help in getting familiar with Loreto. I still can't fathom why there is no fish cleaning station at the Loreto harbor. Sounds like a good project for the launch ramp fee money!

Hook - 6-15-2012 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hook...I'm sure your friend released those fish right? The limit per person to keep is 2 a day for dorado.

Yeah, tell that to the MEXICAN skipper who insisted on keeping more than limits. My gringo friend knew. The skipper insisted. I'm sure he sold some of it, commercially.

Actually, I dont know how many were on the boat and IF they were over limits. It was a 42 footer. I know there were at least five persons on board. But my gringo buddy was not happy that they were keeping small females. He brought it up........and they poo-pooed him. He was only a guest.

In my experience over here, it's the gringos that observe the limits. The Mexicans are out to take as much as possible. It's a cultural thing that needs to change. We talk to them about it but often run into a "it's our country" mentality.

The whole illegal long lining also plays into it. The sportfishing captains look at all that illegal take and feel they must get their share.

And so, it becomes an endless circle.............

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by Hook]

woody with a view - 6-15-2012 at 01:57 PM

yeah, too bad we can't all see the world thru each other's eyes, collectively. i hate to think what it would look like! we have friends on the central coast who observe the daily limits=the limit is what the ocean provides them, some days better than the next. it is their country....

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by woody with a view]

Hook - 6-15-2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
yeah, too bad we can't all see the world thru each other's eyes, collectively. i hate to think what it would look like! we have friends on the central coast who observe the daily limits=the limit is what the ocean provides them, some days better than the next. it is their country....

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by woody with a view]

But the limits are also THEIR rules, Woody. They arent showing respect for their own country.

Of course, they can legally take females. No restriction on that.

The suggestions have hit home on some skippers. I do know some that observe limits and release the chicas. The killing of billfish is pretty rare over here, now, or maybe just better hushed up, as they know many gringos look down on it.

msteve1014 - 6-15-2012 at 04:09 PM

The limits are their governments rules, and many people are ok with cheating the government. Drive 80mph on Mex 1, never stop at the stop sign, cheat a little on your income tax,don't record real estate transactions...... It goes on and on.:o