BajaNomad

Strange creatures at Playa Tomatal

shari - 6-27-2012 at 11:20 AM

Juan & I took a mini beach combing holiday and as always my favorite beach for finding strange things did not disappoint me. As usual in this mystical place, the truck inexplicably shut off approaching the beach...doo doo...doo doo

Also as usual, I found something strange the first minute of my walk... maybe one of you are responsible for this?

The beach was littered with jellyfish of the most incredible colours, sizes and shapes...glowing.

I enjoyed giving them names....here are a few more
this one I called Big Foot

this is the jelly family...pappa jelly, mamma jelly and baby jelly

this one has a goblin face in it...scary dude

this is a purple ribbon guy in a mummy bag

a peac-ck jelly...what amazing colours eh!

this one I call SCREAM

and here is a self portrait in the eye of a baby dinosaur

I found 4 dolphin bodies too

there is just something so special about sand dollars that always make me smile.

hope you liked beach combing with me amigos!

capt. mike - 6-27-2012 at 11:22 AM

Aliens?? hell they are already here!!

BajaSerg - 6-27-2012 at 12:20 PM

yup they are :lol:

Skipjack Joe - 6-27-2012 at 12:36 PM

SCREAM is my favorite. Great color composition. It's just amazing what treasures you can find.

At Pt Lobos (Carmel) they would say that the spirit of Weston would arrange the rocks every night for us photographers. Of course there is no evidence of that.

AlanDow - 6-27-2012 at 12:42 PM

Hi Shari,
I did enjoy beachcombing with you – those are some great shots and amazing colors of jelly fish.

Your sand dollar picture raised a question - My wife likes to collect sand dollars wherever we go beachcombing, and if I recall correctly we didn’t see any on the beach near Asuncion or San Roque when we stayed at your beach house in March, which got me wondering if the time of year is maybe as much a factor as location regarding where you find them?

Thanks again for some really nice beachcombing pictures

Mexitron - 6-27-2012 at 12:42 PM

Nice pics shari!

willardguy - 6-27-2012 at 12:46 PM

damn, all we have up here are car tires and plastic bottles!:no:

AMEN !! GREAT SHOTS !!!

captkw - 6-27-2012 at 12:46 PM

tripledigitken - 6-27-2012 at 12:49 PM

great jellyfish shots, self-portrait is my pick.

shari - 6-27-2012 at 02:09 PM

Scream was my favorite too....when i was photographing the baby dinosaur, i noticed my reflection in his eye...way cool!

thanks everyone and I'm glad you liked our beach walk...thank goodness for pocket cameras!

good question about sand dollars...they seem to just appear and I really dont know if there is a season but I have found them in Asuncion and san roque too on occasions.

EL TOMATAL: BAJA'S "E.T." !!

David K - 6-27-2012 at 03:46 PM

How many remember M's famous posts on Amigo's de Baja of her trying to find out why there were weird stone circles and lines just above the high tide line at El Tomatal... ?

About what she and her friend discovered, that when speaking at the stones, their voices were AMPLIFIED!

Why there were FRESH animal organs placed at the stones, yet no human was in sight... and the 'meat' was fresh under the blazing sun???

When they tried to start the van, the battery was dead as was a spare (fully chrged) battery!

This was so fascinating, I made a web page with M's photos (that survived when her van mysteriously caught on fire, while parked, shortly after the Baja trip).

SEE THEM (and another who submitted photos from the area after reading M's posts: click 'more on ET'): http://vivabaja.com/et

bajachris - 6-27-2012 at 03:53 PM

Is tomatel the beach south of The Wall?

windgrrl - 6-27-2012 at 04:04 PM

Cool pix, Shari! When we were in your general vicinity this spring, we saw a lot of lobster tails scattered along the beach with no bodies or heads attached. I am still wondering how they lost their heads! Lots of cool dead stuff on the beach up near Campo Rene, too!

Skipjack Joe - 6-27-2012 at 04:16 PM

"M"was one of my favorite writers on the board. Anybody know why she doesn't post any more?

vgabndo - 6-27-2012 at 04:21 PM

Trippy. :lol::lol::lol:

Eli - 6-27-2012 at 04:44 PM

Great pictures, thanks for the walk on the beach with you Shari.

woody with a view - 6-27-2012 at 05:02 PM

i'll be in the area fri-wed. where do you refer to as Tomatal? we went from the big house south about 5 miles once looking for trouble but couldn't find it.

[Edited on 6-28-2012 by BajaNomad]

David K - 6-27-2012 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris
Is tomatel the beach south of The Wall?

Yup... here it is at the bottom... (map from Mike Younghusband's walk):

shari - 6-27-2012 at 06:20 PM

the entrance to El Tomatal is right at the military checkpoint south of Jesus Maria.

Woody, it is the same beach that Campo Esmerelda is on with that big yellow house. Rumour has it that it has an indoor swimming pool???? where the heck do they get the water? the bathroom is tiled in onyx from Rosarito too...sheesh. It sure looks strange in amongst the shacks there.

I used to like to go to this beach when I lived in Guerrero Negro...but now with more houses there, Here are some photos of the cabanas Samuel built...pretty funky!

I wouldnt want to camp there anymore...that big yellow house kind of spoils the rustic fish camp feel IMHO.

but it is a cool beach to drive on at low tide

in the middle there are some abandoned palapas that have now become osprey condos

We drove the coast road from Rosalillita to the Wall...pretty bumpy couple hours....and rested up at a Flintstone house..the bed is a bit hard though!
Had a nice little visit with our pals at the place that shall not be named Woody....it was a ghost camp.

Cisco - 6-27-2012 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
the entrance to El Tomatal is right at the military checkpoint south of Jesus Maria.

Woody, it is the same beach that Campo Esmerelda is on with that big yellow house. Rumour has it that it has an indoor swimming pool???? where the heck do they get the water? the bathroom is tiled in onyx from Rosarito too...sheesh. It sure looks strange in amongst the shacks there.

I used to like to go to this beach when I lived in Guerrero Negro...but now with more houses there, Here are some photos of the cabanas Samuel built...pretty funky!

I wouldnt want to camp there anymore...that big yellow house kind of spoils the rustic fish camp feel IMHO.

but it is a cool beach to drive on at low tide

in the middle there are some abandoned palapas that have now become osprey condos

We drove the coast road from Rosalillita to the Wall...pretty bumpy couple hours....and rested up at a Flintstone house..the bed is a bit hard though!
Had a nice little visit with our pals at the place that shall not be named Woody....it was a ghost camp.

Bet Juan enjoyed the rock work especially.

Shari, is "The Great Wall of Juan" completed now or does he have more planned???

Can it be seen from space?

shari - 6-27-2012 at 06:54 PM

oh good question Cisco...the great wallS of Juan will never be finished...we have miles of it dreamed about not to mention all the planters and benches and babbling brooks....I digress

I'm sure you can see them from space and the beyond

(amigo...maybe dont hit the quote button in your reply so it repeats all the photos...again...thanks) prolly takes up more space on Dougs thingamajigger.

[Edited on 6-28-2012 by shari]

BajaRat - 6-27-2012 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanDow
Hi Shari,
I did enjoy beachcombing with you – those are some great shots and amazing colors of jelly fish.

Your sand dollar picture raised a question - My wife likes to collect sand dollars wherever we go beachcombing, and if I recall correctly we didn’t see any on the beach near Asuncion or San Roque when we stayed at your beach house in March, which got me wondering if the time of year is maybe as much a factor as location regarding where you find them?

AlanDow, Playa Santa Maria south of San Quintin will meet your sand dollar needs any time of the year and the hotel there is well worth the new los Pinos prices.

P.S. Shari, I like the Dinosaurio self portrait. :cool:

rts551 - 6-27-2012 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanDow
Hi Shari,

AlanDow, Playa Santa Maria south of San Quintin will meet your sand dollar needs any time of the year and the hotel there is well worth the new los Pinos prices.

P.S. Shari, I like the Dinosaurio self portrait. :cool:

What new prices?was just there a week ago and it was the same as its been since they opened.

BajaNomad - 6-27-2012 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
(amigo...maybe dont hit the quote button in your reply so it repeats all the photos...again...thanks) prolly takes up more space on Dougs thingamajigger.

Nope. Not at all.

:biggrin:

shari - 6-27-2012 at 10:05 PM

good to know Doug thanks....I do worry about overloading the site with too many photos.

El Jefe - 6-28-2012 at 06:23 AM

Hey, great post Shari. The photos are awesome. Amazing how many kinds of jellies one sees.

David K - 6-28-2012 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
"M"was one of my favorite writers on the board. Anybody know why she doesn't post any more?

Here she is (and her last posts, too): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44932

BajaBlanca - 6-28-2012 at 09:34 AM

are those jellies poisonous ? they sure have intense coloration and look deadly. we recently saw a show (national geographic ???) on deadly attackers and a certain type of jellyfish were number 1.

AmoPescar - 6-28-2012 at 10:27 AM

SHARI...

VERY interesting pics!!

Thanks for sharing with us. I always enjoy the pictures of your trips and little jaunts!

Miguelamo :bounce: :spingrin: :tumble: :D

woody with a view - 6-28-2012 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
are those jellies poisonous ? they sure have intense coloration and look deadly. we recently saw a show (national geographic ???) on deadly attackers and a certain type of jellyfish were number 1.

they will sting but anaphalactic (sp?) shock would be your worst outcome.

box jellyfish and man-o-war's are the ones that can do real damage and they are far from baja.