BajaNomad

Man did I blow it!

CortezBlue - 6-28-2012 at 01:39 PM

My tire, that is.

Coming down to San Felipe for 10 days of cool air, well cooler than Fenix?:fire:

We were in our 4x4 Chevy tooling down the road, that seems to extend forever, and just past La Ventana, about 30 mins from the military stop, I noticed that my front end seemed to feel funny.
I told the wife, "we either have a flat or blew a shock."

Sure enough a sidewall blow out.

It was only 107 and no shade

I was able to get the lug nuts loose and the spare lowered down from the back storage area and ready to dig out the jack.

To my rescue a green angel. He grabbed his floor jack had it off the ground and the new tire on before I could say "I think I can get it."

I gave hims a few hundred pesos and I figured he could use it for a drink. He smelled of Boooooooze something terrible.

Oh well when in Mexicoo.....................

capt. mike - 6-28-2012 at 02:08 PM

i'd drink too if i had to change tires in 107 no shade WX!!
Blue - what made you think SF was going to be cooler than phx?? with their humidity the heat index has to be off the chart!!

David K - 6-28-2012 at 03:44 PM

Mike, the air is much cooler on the beach than just a few miles away in the desert... Humidity is never bad until August. Is it different this year?

Hook - 6-28-2012 at 06:46 PM

Heard the latest detour, headed down to SF is 50km or 50 miles. Which is it?

El Vergel - 6-28-2012 at 07:13 PM

Whew! Thank goodness U R ok!

We would always blow out shocks and tires in the maxi-van laden with moto's. 107-112 degrees in the shade. But that was on the old road, south of SF to about Puerticitos (sp)...every weekend in '72! Unpaved and totally fun, but treacherously risky if unprepared. I would have welcomed that "green" angel then! That heat will get to ya!

Thank goodness for the Mar de Cortez, especially San Felipe! It's refreshing climate and fun base was always a draw. I like it in August, where the Heat factors in with 99% humidity and 109-112 in the shade....I think it equals about 120??? Oh, NO breeze.

Never gonna give you up, no matter how you treat me!

bajachris - 6-28-2012 at 10:41 PM

Remember having fuel filter issues in the summer at Catavina, something like 110 F. That mechanic was horrible. Husband had to crawl under car, drop tank, take a bus to San Quintin to get part, take bus back and install. Then the mechanic wanted to get paid for really doing nothing... Car smelled of fuel the whole way home. So glad to get rid of that lousy Chevy Blazer. Nothing but car problems.... I feel your pain. Nothing worse than a car issue on a hot day. We found out later that the "mechanic", and I use that term loosely, at the Gazaga turn off poked a hole in our fuel filter to unclog it.... :fire:

CortezBlue - 6-28-2012 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Heard the latest detour, headed down to SF is 50km or 50 miles. Which is it?

I heard 35 miles or 35 km

I would say it is probably 20 miles or so. I am going back through Ensendada, so like the Tootsie Roll Pop, we may never know????

CortezBlue - 6-28-2012 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i'd drink too if i had to change tires in 107 no shade WX!!
Blue - what made you think SF was going to be cooler than phx?? with their humidity the heat index has to be off the chart!!

So all of you California folks think of AZ as a "dry heat" which is true most times of the year, however, starting June 15, the monsoon starts marching in from Mexico and we do get humid, granted 40-60%, but none the less, it is humid.
I sat in my pool at about 3 in the afternoon under the shade of my pallapa and it was marvelous.

If I were in Fenix, I would be doing the same thing, but it is so much cooler, in a non weather way, to do it in Baja.

PS, since I have had a few margaritas at my amigos casa this evening, I can add, that we have been truly blessed in our lives to be able to have a wonderful house in Fenix and a really nice casa in San Felipe. Sometimes I can't believe we are so fortunate.
Hopefully, if all works out well we will be spending Jan or Feb in Baja Sur with Bob and Susan and in many other sports on the Baja road.

[Edited on 6-29-2012 by CortezBlue]

my experience

capt. mike - 6-29-2012 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mike, the air is much cooler on the beach than just a few miles away in the desert... Humidity is never bad until August. Is it different this year?

as soon as the monsoon begins, mid june sometimes, and until the dew point goes below 50 constantly, all of the SW deserts incl baja along SOC gets way to muggy. From SF south even on the beach it is wet sweaty. Actually i find it more humid at the ocean than away from it like here in phx.

your mileage may vary!

at my old digs in mulege i was on the water, by july it was being constantly wet if you were out side of AC, miserable.

i simply don't like it. for some its ok and that's ok.

i hope to go to todos santos.

Marc - 7-4-2012 at 08:05 AM

Whatever he was drinking; buy him a case:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 7-4-2012 at 10:03 AM

"Coming down to San Felipe for 10 days of cool air, well cooler than Fenix?"

I like the way Cortez spells Phoenix... I get it! :lol:

viabaja - 7-6-2012 at 09:23 AM

I'll second Marc, I would have paid him with Tecate and quite frankly in 107 deg, I'd have joined him!!!!!