BajaNomad

Big fish eats little fish

baitcast - 7-12-2012 at 08:49 AM

Right in your back yard:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuYjDR2tSg&feature=youtu...

Russ - 7-12-2012 at 09:00 AM

I think I P'd my pants!

Skipjack Joe - 7-12-2012 at 09:19 AM

There's a big old bass at Coe State Park that does that to bluegills when you're reeling them in. Always a jolt. It was hard to get the fly (we fish with nymphs) from the bluegill to the bass during the fight. But we did manage to land him a couple of times.

He stayed in that pond for several years until someone decided he was a trophy. Others had all been releasing him as well.

[Edited on 7-12-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

baitcast - 7-12-2012 at 10:12 AM

Many many years ago when the the northern Cortez was full of sharks this would happen all to often,one special place was the Willard back bay in the evening,Corvina would move in on in-coming tides and we would be waiting for them so would sharks mostly smaller guys.

Name of the game was who gets that fish us or them? I will never forget the time,as I was bringing in a little bass not paying any attention when the water right in front of me exploded it was very shallow couple of feet at most,he was maybe 5'and determined to get my bass,started teasing him which really got him going,just as he made a grab I would pull it away then he just disappeared/

O-well started to bring in the bass when out of nowhere here he comes again straight at me and lit right at my feet:o teeth snapping,he was peeed:lol:........Ton of fun and just another great day on the gulf.
Rob

Cypress - 7-12-2012 at 01:08 PM

Bull sharks get big and aggressive. Big and aggressive, with a a healthy appetite. You might be on their menue. The Great White get's a lot of publicity, but the Bull Shark is a killer. Hammerheads are speedsters, fun to watch 'em slashing through schools of bait fish. Will cut your catch off in a heartbeat, but they're not man killers.:yes:

This shark was 'playful'...??

Pompano - 7-12-2012 at 03:45 PM

A couple years ago while fishing off Pta. Teresa south of Conception Point, this shark followed my jig right up next to the boat...and actually hovered there while I danced the jig off it's head and back several times..(see pic)...before Co-pilot reminded me that I might miss having two arms.

She was probably right...as is often the case. :rolleyes:

htnfool - 7-12-2012 at 07:16 PM

Roger,

What kind was it? Looks like a blue shark to me but I am no expert from that picture. Lost several baits to small hammerheads cruising around.

Pompano - 7-12-2012 at 07:54 PM

Hola Scot,

From the longish snout and placement of the dorsal fin further back on the body, I do believe it was a blue shark, but then we did NOT stay at the Holiday Express last night, either...so that could be wrong.

Her name. Co-Pilot said it was a 'beautiful animal'...but then, she says that about all creatures...even including you.... so you can see where that is going. :wow:

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by Pompano]

AmoPescar - 7-12-2012 at 08:15 PM

Always had more trouble with SEA LIONS than sharks...but have lost a couple to them too!

The Sea Lions around Catalina and San Clemente can be very aggressive. It can really ruin your day when all you have is head on your line!

Miguelamo :yes: :lol: :yes: :rolleyes:

sea lions SUCK !!

captkw - 7-13-2012 at 06:08 AM

AND The worst part about them is the pity they get from the land lubbers that dont have a clue about problem on the the west coast !!! J & T:cool:

Lots of photo hams/sea lions at Newport, Oregon

Pompano - 7-13-2012 at 07:12 AM

These sea lions have got it made in downtown tourist section at Newport, Oregon.

Snack city for them! Plus plenty of Ohhs and Ahhs from visiting Disney types.

Last winter I had a tug of war with a lobo that tried to make off with my gunnel-hung 30lb. yellowtail. I won. ;)

They are very common in the Mulege area. I spot several sunning and 'sailing' on the surface almost every time I'm outside.

ITS PAST CRITAICAL USE

captkw - 7-13-2012 at 07:25 AM

ITS A PROBLEM THE FEDS DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH..INSO MUCH THAT 4 YEARS AGO A NOAA BOAT HERE IN MONTEREY BAY (CA) POOPED ONE OF ITS OUTBOARDS POWER HEADS AFTER WITH SO MANY FURBAGS (SEA LION) HAD CLIMBED ONBOARD :lol::lol::lol: WE NEED MORE GREAT WHITES AND ORCAS !!!!

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by captkw]