BajaNomad

Fishing time

Osprey - 7-16-2012 at 08:06 AM

Fishing Time

I don’t know if this is an “only me” thing or if it is happening to others. If I haven’t caught on to the Mexican time thing by now, there’s no hope. Fifty long years of coming/living down here in Baja Sur has taught me to be patient, to roll with the cultural time thing.

Just this morning I had to call to find out a plumber who I had an appointment with this morning can’t make it and we will try again tomorrow. I know most of the “mas tardes”, “mananas”, “temprano”, “mananitas”, “un rato” etc. meanings and can plan to be late or disappointed.

But, a big but, it might be harder for fishermen to adapt and adopt the time thing because of the other severe punctuality involving charter outings in boats. I shall explain.

For some reason (money comes to mind) Mexicans seem as punctual as the Swiss when it comes to waking one (me) from a sound sleep at one second before or after 5:30 by knocking on my door to get me moving toward the beach to catch the boat.

When I traveled down here to fish in Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, East Cape, Los Cabos sometimes I would stay in hotels, resorts or motels. I remember the pounding at La Serenidad, Oasis, Los Arcos, Tropicana, etc. etc. What really stands out are the times the pounding went on and on; 5:30, 5:45, 5:50, etc, etc. when they got the wrong room, when the knocking was meant for somebody with a charter in room 204, not 203.

Once, in La Paz, when I went down for a leisurely breakfast in the hotel restaurant I passed the front desk in the middle of a row between two gringos and the clerk regarding a missed fishing date for room 806 (I was in 808 and was rudely awakened several times very early).

I have not discussed this cultural oddity with my Mexican fishing pals. Language fails me when I think I could make clear my theories about

A. bait won’t wait
B. no bait no bite
C. no fish no pesos for the crew

You’ll make me feel better if you post similar experiences. The other “wrong red and white cooler” on the boat which is filled with Gucci water and organic salads situation should also be open for discussion if you have the time.

[Edited on 7-16-2012 by Osprey]

shari - 7-16-2012 at 08:29 AM

you are so right about fishing time Osprey...but sheesh amigo, I would have thought you'd have learned that Monday mornings rarely produce workers...after all...sunday was yesterday. It is a rare monday when all the workers show up...I've learned not to expect them till tuesday and am delighted when one does show up on Monday. (The exception is our favorite building crew, Manos Frios headed up by Roberto!!! who generally show up every day)

But alas...the fishing frenzy is an early show...sleep in a bit and you may miss it...and they may miss the money they live on the rest of the week! undale mano...llevantate pues!

Osprey - 7-16-2012 at 09:14 AM

It's Monday already? Now you tell me.