BajaNomad

Why do I fish?

acadist - 7-16-2012 at 05:43 PM

Seems like a loaded question, let me start by saying that this train of thought was brought on by the new book I purchased for my kindle. The title is 'In Pursuit of Giants: One Mans Search for the Last of the Great Fish'. The sample I downloaded began with a wordy prologue but as I began to read the first chapter (all in the sample) I was hooked. It begins with fishing for marlin in Cabo and immediately started me thinking and made me realize my inner thoughts about the ocean were maybe not mine alone.
I am by no means an expert fisherman, I barely consider myself much more than a beginner. My first trip was because of work, one of my customers every year would charter one of the SoCal fleet fir a day trip to Catalina. I caught a couple of barracuda and a small Bonita, I remember that 4-5 small yellowtail were caught by the 30+ people on the charter. It was fun but not life changing. A couple years later we bought the house next door to Doug, my wife's cousin. Soon after he and Bill from around the corner went on a trip to La Paz towing Bill's 24 ft cabin cruiser. The stories they brought back were like bait to me. They started taking me on day trips in Long Beach harbor and soon I bought my first gear, I was ready for my chance to go to to this enticing land called Baja.
That was 15 years ago and since that time I have gone as much as I can. When I lived in SoCal it was more and now being in CO I only get to go once ore twice a year. Since the first trip to Loreto I have gone to many places and someday hope to have time to explore more. Without Baja I do not think I would have ever wanted to fish as much as I do now.
Doug and Bill no longer travel with me, my daughter was my traveling partner a couple of years but decided to grow up and now has her own life to take care of. My boys are now going with me and have made me realize that helping them learn to fish is just as much fun as fishing myself.
Inner peace, that is the reason!

baitcast - 7-16-2012 at 06:33 PM

Most all of us have inner thoughts about the ocean,a connection maybe from the beginning,some of us realize it but most don't,you made that connection and now you will never be the same you and the boys,I envy you.

You and your boys are making memories that you can draw on when you get to be my age,I,m in the twilight of my life and its hard to form anything,my trips down south came to a end 3 years ago I now fish for planter trout in shallow lakes a huge come down.

So what I,m saying is spend a much time with your kids as you can there nothing better than fishing for the bonding of a father and kids,and reminiscing ain,t all that bad:biggrin:
Rob

Frank - 7-16-2012 at 06:57 PM

Rob, if you can make it out to San Diego, my son and I would love to take you out fishing.

woody with a view - 7-16-2012 at 07:00 PM

^^^atta boy^^^

captkw - 7-16-2012 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Most all of us have inner thoughts about the ocean,a connection maybe from the beginning,some of us realize it but most don't,you made that connection and now you will never be the same you and the boys,I envy you.

You and your boys are making memories that you can draw on when you get to be my age,I,m in the twilight of my life and its hard to form anything,my trips down south came to a end 3 years ago I now fish for planter trout in shallow lakes a huge come down.................................................................................................................................................. .......................................WELL SAID !! after taking 100's of folks out and setting kids up on their first big fish is price less !! but the days I spent with dad fishing,,well..brings tears to my eyes !! K & T

[Edited on 7-17-2012 by captkw]

Why do I fish?

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2012 at 11:06 PM

That's an excellent question. And it has many answers. And the answers will change with the age of a man.

But here is one you will rarely hear. It was something that struck me on one of my first trips as a young lad when I thought about it. I have remembered it ever since because it would only come to the mind of a child and I didn't want to forget how it was in the begining.

There is a miracle in fishing. Something is produced out of nothing. And that mystery is somehow special.

It came about while fishing the socal piers in the early years. You cast your bait into the watery unknown. It sank and disappeared. And as you retrieved your line a living thing would visually appear out of the blue darkness and silence. It seemed almost supernatural.

I believe that this miracle is one of the great pleasures in fishing. But it's experienced by most of us at a subconscious level.

The mystique of bottom fishing. A world of feeling, anticipation, and intuition. You explore your senses ... and that's very rewarding.

baitcast - 7-17-2012 at 03:21 PM

Thanks Frank,that's a fine invite and I really appreciate the offer,I have never missed one of your postings over the years,enjoyed everyone,luved your taste in musica also:biggrin:
Rob

acadist - 7-17-2012 at 04:08 PM

:D

mulegemichael - 7-17-2012 at 05:40 PM

i ask myself that question constantly and still don't have an answer....once in awhile i THINK i have and answer then after pondering it, i realize, i really don't....

my idle life, my "me" life, beyond our family and work, is, "to fish"....that's what i want...fishing, to fish, has fished, fishing for, fished over, etc...it's all about just that..."fishing"....now...this has nothing to do with "catching"..completely different subject there, that "catching" part...so let's keep fishing separate.....and i mean, TOTALLY separate!

because fishing, in my world, is a spot that i go to to leave you folks for awhile...just a spot in our world where i can simply be man against fish and not care who wins......boy, this is a question that should really test this group, i would think.

Cypress - 7-18-2012 at 12:36 PM

I've fished for fun, fished for dinner, and fished for money. Why do I fish now? Definitely not for the money.:D

Skipjack Joe - 7-18-2012 at 02:55 PM

This one's for you, Rob.

The best passage from the book and the best scenes from the film.

I sat there and forgot and forgot, until what remained was the river that went by and I who watched. On the river the heat mirages danced with each other and then they danced through each other and then they joined hands and danced around each other. Eventually the watcher joined the river. and there was only one of us. I believe it was the river.

acadist - 7-18-2012 at 04:51 PM

I come to wonder sometimes if I in some distant past life was a sailor living on seas, because now it feels so much like home. When I was in the Navy I did not fish, not having started fishing untill I was in my 30's, I often regret the opportunities that I did not take advantage of, fishing the south pacific and Austraila. Don't get me wrong, I had fun times and many great memories but did not chase Wahoo in Austraila. In my youth we spent many days on Asateague Island, Virginia and never once put a pole in the water, it was not my father's passion. Am I less of a man now because of it? NO! I just still have much to learn.
I am not usually long winded like this but is coming from deep in my soul.
Thank you Nomads! You help me feed this need!

watizname - 7-18-2012 at 09:30 PM

Ya just never know. It's always a surprise, that tug, the line singing, the battle joined. Doesn't matter the winner. It's the contest. That gets your blood rushing. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

baitcast - 7-19-2012 at 06:32 AM

Again its the genes we were hunters and gathers in the beginning,some of us feel this and others don't,I to am haunted by water be it the noise of a small stream,river,a lake,the ocean,I have never passed a body of water without thinking I wonder what kind of fish lived there,its been that way since I was very young,some of my earliest memories was following my father down bushy streams to catch pan sized trout in northern Wash. and Ida.

We are lucky you and I because we have experienced this feeling,guess I will have to break out Dads pic's again:lol:

Thanks Igor love that movie and yes that scene.
I know that old man for he is me.
Rob

[Edited on 7-19-2012 by baitcast]

acadist - 7-20-2012 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Ya just never know. It's always a surprise, that tug, the line singing, the battle joined. Doesn't matter the winner. It's the contest. That gets your blood rushing. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Well Said:yes:

one reason of several.....

bill erhardt - 7-21-2012 at 07:02 AM

A couple of mornings a week I get to watch the sun rise up out of the Sea of Cortez.

[Edited on 7-21-2012 by bill erhardt]

Optimized-f3126957.jpg - 47kB

bill erhardt - 7-21-2012 at 07:04 AM

Or, the Pacific.

S&S1.JPG - 41kB

Russ - 7-21-2012 at 07:54 AM

Fantastic sunrises Bill!

baitcast - 7-21-2012 at 08:45 AM

No question about it this time of day is special.many people go all thru life thinking 8:00 is early and never see such scenes which shows there is more to fishing than the hook-up,there is much more to it,sharing the day with a good friend,love watching a bro hooked up and gabbing all day,fishing alone has its rewards.

Every Time I pitch a bait out there I imagine big fish is about to inhale it,last cast of the day sometimes last for a hour,teaching my kids to fish was wonderful an on and on:lol:
Rob

acadist - 7-21-2012 at 03:01 PM

Great pictures Bill. I hope one day I grow up and get to spend as many days on the water as you do:coolup:

baitcast - 6-26-2015 at 09:30 AM

This one rates a repeat BUMP
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2015 at 09:56 AM

There's also the attraction of scoring, of winning big. A gamblers attraction.

In Death of a Salesman Bengie's older brother tells him 'I went into the jungle and came out with millions'. That's Bengie's professional dream. To strike it rich. To hit the mother lode.

Many guys have similar hopes on the way to the fishing grounds. Even before they get into the car and drive to Baja.

Martyman - 6-26-2015 at 09:58 AM

People ask me "why do you go to Baja? for the fishing?"
I respond with yes I go fishing but that is not the reason I go. It's more about getting on the water, seeing something you've never seen before. Having that feeling of being fully alive..
Don't get me wrong, I love fishing but for me it's being out and taking it all in.
If I catch something that's just a bonus.

55steve - 6-26-2015 at 10:31 AM

This is why I fish - I'm driving the boat & Brice is tossing a jig into breaking BFT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFO62Zm9Ps

[Edited on 6-26-2015 by 55steve]

woody with a view - 6-26-2015 at 02:14 PM

when the surf's flat it's another way to be on the ocean and sometimes come home with something for dinner.

Kgryfon - 6-26-2015 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  
Again its the genes we were hunters and gathers in the beginning,some of us feel this and others don't,I to am haunted by water be it the noise of a small stream,river,a lake,the ocean,I have never passed a body of water without thinking I wonder what kind of fish lived there,its been that way since I was very young,some of my earliest memories was following my father down bushy streams to catch pan sized trout in northern Wash. and Ida.

We are lucky you and I because we have experienced this feeling,guess I will have to break out Dads pic's again:lol:

Thanks Igor love that movie and yes that scene.
I know that old man for he is me.
Rob

[Edited on 7-19-2012 by baitcast]

Yes, haunted by water. Well said. I am the same. It brings me peace and quiet joy to be near water - lakes, rivers, the ocean.

Some of my first memories are of fishing streams in Washington and Idaho with my dad as well. Trout. Ice cold waters. Camping in remote areas, way up in the mountains off logging roads. Picking wild blueberries with my brothers and sisters. Butter-fried fresh caught trout for dinner.

Great times. I've loved fishing since I was a child.

Cliffy - 6-26-2015 at 11:13 PM

Fishing-
That shot of electricity that goes through your body the instant the connection between fish and fisherman happens, as the yet unseen adversary unexpectedly pulls on the line, for the first time, .

My Dad taught me to fish over 65 years ago, trout in the Sierras.

Trolling, with the motor turning over ever so slowly, putt putt, putt putt, putt putt, as the mist rises off the calm water and a fish splashes on the surface.

Fishing is images, sounds and memories, not necessarily in that order.

65 years ago, as a very young lad, it was exciting. Today, it's still as exciting but more memorable with the thoughts of where the memories come from.

4Cata - 6-27-2015 at 12:14 AM

THIS is a great thread, so full of memories and that old man in the river, Rob, that was my dad, frequently at June Lake or in Colorado. I still have his lures and tackle and they will be going with me to Baja.
Another, more recent (35 years ago) I was the galley cook on the Pescador (the old Red Rooster) out of Long Beach. Due to it's age, it was mainly a day boat but oh, I loved that year when I spent about 6 months getting up at 3 am to drive from Pomona to Long Beach to stock the galley, make the coffee, some soup or chili, and cook breakfast burritos, then hamburgers. I loved turning the disappointed guys that only caught bonita into happy campers by sauteing them in white wine & butter. Yes, I know boneheads are not a big catch but they sure could put up a fight. We had some many newbies that one of the crew would be assigned to running up and down the decks, cutting fouled lines and helping others get their fish aboard. When I later worked at Dodger Stadium I was surprised to be recognized as that great cook from the boat, more than once.

baitcast - 6-27-2015 at 06:25 AM

I fished on the old Red Rooster in 63 :lol: out of San Diego...........We made one of the early runs to Guadalupe 50+ years ago, my how time flies:o.
Rob
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/BAITCAST/media/IMG_0001-2.j...
Red Rooster in all its glory and Baitcast doing his thing

[Edited on 6-27-2015 by baitcast]