BajaNomad

Giant green turtle saved and released!

bajajurel - 7-20-2012 at 08:44 AM

We were fishing off Isla Ceralvo earlier this week and last out of El Sargento, and I am happy to report we successfully saved a giant green turtle. We were cruising / trolling the shark buoys for Dodos in the channel and came upon one that looked like a turtle was lounging on top. I had the Captain cruise back by and we found the turtle was HOOKED up on about a 9/0 hook. He must have been feeding off the bait and gotten hooked in his mouth. No telling how long the poor creature had been hooked there but he was clearly in distress.

With my buddy piloting the boat and keeping it right on the shark buoy, the Captain and I hauled the 100 pound plus monster onto the deck of the Panga. We had to beat the hook out of his mouth with a bat as we couldn't get it out with pliers. He was definitely hurting and will have a sore mouth for days but he is alive!

We released him back to the SOC and with a look back to us and a wave of a flipper to us he swam off on his own.

I felt great all day even though the fishing sucked. We were going to take pics but our Captain was insistent that we didn't so we respected his wishes.

bill erhardt - 7-20-2012 at 09:54 AM

Jerry......Good deed on the tortuga. Have you been putting in time around Roca Montana? Prime time and place for some hoo action......

Cypress - 7-20-2012 at 12:55 PM

bajajurel, Thanks!!!

Bravo, fellers!

Mulegena - 7-20-2012 at 01:52 PM

Opportunity appeared and you stepped up.
Can't do better than that in life.

Thanks a million!

bajajurel - 7-20-2012 at 03:57 PM

Hey Bill,

We tried everything but not one wahoo bite. There were some divers in that area but they had not seen any either.

Bob and I are headed to Loreto next month via Santa Rosalia for some fishing. Maybe we can hook up and I'll buy you a beer. I'd love to see your new boat.

Regards,
Jerry

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Jerry......Good deed on the tortuga. Have you been putting in time around Roca Montana? Prime time and place for some hoo action......

[Edited on 7-20-2012 by bajajurel]

bill erhardt - 7-20-2012 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajurel
Hey Bill,

We tried everything but not one wahoo bite. There were some divers in that area but they had not seen any either.

Bob and I are headed to Loreto next month via Santa Rosalia for some fishing. Maybe we can hook up and I'll buy you a beer. I'd love to see your new boat.

Regards,
Jerry

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

[Edited on 7-20-2012 by bajajurel]

Jerry.....I'll be happy to both drink your beer and show you my boat. Let me know if you don't have my phone number......

redhilltown - 7-22-2012 at 11:04 PM

Good job...I love "fishing reports" such as this!!!!!