BajaNomad

Road North of Santo Thomas

bajachris - 7-23-2012 at 03:57 PM

Loved the road North of Santo Tomas through the hills.
Rock hit our windshield and broke it. People in San Quitin just laughed when we asked about a repair kit.

DanO - 7-24-2012 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris
Loved the road North of Santo Tomas through the hills.
Rock hit our windshield and broke it. People in San Quitin just laughed when we asked about a repair kit.

If you mean the new cut through the big hill that drops down into the Santo Tomas valley, I'm not surprised. Massive sheer rock walls on both sides of the road with nothing to protect vehicles from the rocks that are bound to come loose. Quite an engineering marvel.

Mexitron - 7-24-2012 at 01:50 PM

Speaking of which---anyone know if the road from Santo Thomas/Bocana south is open to the Punta San Jose lighthouse? There's another connector road from there to the south of San Jose which I used in eh, 2001 or so, but the road going north up the canyon from the lighthouse was washed out.

DanO - 7-24-2012 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Speaking of which---anyone know if the road from Santo Thomas/Bocana south is open to the Punta San Jose lighthouse? There's another connector road from there to the south of San Jose which I used in eh, 2001 or so, but the road going north up the canyon from the lighthouse was washed out.

Don't know. The last time I took that route was on a bike, Christmas 2010, before the heavy rains in early 2011 that I suspect would have washed parts of it out. About a month ago I ran up the first few hundred yards of the cutoff from the La Bocana road and from what I could see from the bottom of the hill, it was not heavily traveled.