BajaNomad

The Mexican Carriage

bajacalifornian - 7-27-2012 at 10:11 AM

Willing to travel anywhere in Mexico, I searched Mexican websites for a Ford f 350, to be modified as a carriage for animal transport, here called a plataforma or a ganadera. Requirements in part . . . manual, dual rear wheel, a big diesel and long bed crew cab. The diesel would already be imported. This truck also carries National plates. No extra fees or forms at the ferry if one day I ride my animals in Durango.

After weeks watching, the truck would be in Reynosa, Tamaulipas . . . other side of Monterrey, N.L.

The voyage is of no significance here, but rather . . . reality of passing through a war zone.

I met my son Zane in Mexico City and continued on to the airport in Reynosa. While visiting, our airport cab driver explained there had been killings the night before . . . where we were headed. Further the driver explained, bogus checkpoints on our way, bad guys wear tennis shoes and baseball caps along with the uniform. We already know it would not be us for kidnapping but rather, the dang truck is the target.

At the hotel in Raynosa and across the street from our truck, Zane and I agreed to stop always before nightfall.

Following truck service for the trip and paperwork, we wouldn´t leave Reynosa before four in the afternoon.

Changing papers on the truck at the police station, one person was admitted with guard per transaction. My son explained I did not speak a word of Spanish and with fair delay, we entered and remained together, along with our guard. Outside, the street was blocked at both ends. Before blockage, dead bodies were cast at the front entrance by taunting drive by gangs.

We hit the road late, as I say, hoping for a stop short of Torreon, Coahuila. At dark and 30 minutes short of Torreon, the checkpoint kid with a sad and apologetic look on his face, answered Torreon was violent . . . best go ahead 30 minutes to a hotel. He explained the Zetas were concentrated where we are headed.

A hotel was hard to find. Finally, the first we found had lights out and a huge number of military vehicles along blocks around it. Slowly passing the auto entrance, the place was consumed with armed personal we could see in the darkness.

Along highways, multiple . . . multiple caravans of military personnel transport vehicles were present. Always in groups of four, lead truck with eyes peering ahead and a large gun mounted on the rear vehicle.

Next day we slid down the Alpine slopes and through villages in the State of Durango, with logging mills, log cabins and wood smoke rising from roof top chimneys. With sons in school in Monterrey N.L. previous years, I´ve made this trip several times. Durango should be experienced when you visit Mazatlan. In particular Mazatlan as far as the town of Durango.

Cell Photo of the truck on the Malecon in Mazatlan, Sinaloa. Stayed at a hotel I will forever stay when there . . . Hotel La Siesta.

Presently, in Loreto, I found the owner of this platform to be installed on the truck. The box has been laying in a field for 8 years. Platform is shown here with Fili Diaz of Fili´s Automotive Shop in Loreto. An exceptional mechanic, Fili first dialed in the truck and will make modifications and install the thing with paint.

The truck, ready for removal of the bed at Fili´s.

The Mexican Carriage . . . still under construction.

Final note. In Mazatlan at the ferry landing we learned the computer had barfed our reservation.

We drove through Nebraska type corn field landscape the five hour ride north to Topolobampo to catch our ride.

Subsequent to the Loreto return, I crossed seven truck tires in my wife´s SUV at San Ysidro. Caught a green light.

[Edited on 7-27-2012 by bajacalifornian]

Curt63 - 7-27-2012 at 10:58 AM

She's Beaut!

Loretana - 7-27-2012 at 11:10 AM

Love your new Troqua, Jeff. Que Carrocha!!

TMW - 7-27-2012 at 11:19 AM

An adventure for sure, thanks for sharing.

Durango

durrelllrobert - 7-27-2012 at 04:03 PM

A MX friend just returned from Durango. While there he was having dinner with his mother and other family members in a VERY UPSCALE restraurant when a drug jefe showed up with 3 body guards. They temporarily confiscated cell phones and cameras from every patron then made them go outside and wait while the jefe had his meal. After he left the bodyguard returned all of the cell phones and cameras and everyone went back inside to finish their meals. The restraurant gave everyone new dinners, compliments of the jefe.

plataforma / ganadera

El Vergel - 9-18-2012 at 12:37 PM

What a handcrafted beauty of a truck that is! Thanks 4 the share and hope the carriage is working well.