BajaNomad

Normally I Would Drop Dead Before I Would Cut And Paste A U2U Without Someone's Permission

DavidE - 7-31-2012 at 08:18 AM

But in this one single (solitary) case I am going to risk BajaTripper's wrath.

And post his response to a question I posed on this forum a while back, that was and is important to me.

My question had to do with the import-duty allowance given by ADUANA to items shipped into Mexico by common carrier. Duty can take a horrendous toll on the price of non-restricted items. I am on the path of assembling a how-to article that attempts to accurately cover this subject and when it is done, I shall offer it to Nomads, if the interest is there.

Some personal comments and non-essential information has been omitted for obvious reasons.

"David E

Mil disculpas for being so late on giving you an answer for a question that you've probably already forgotten, but here it is anyway.

I finally came across the local DHL office in La Paz (they've moved from Abasolo to Bravo street) and was able to ask about the $49 free import limit. The employee said that the limit had been bumped up to $99 for importing things duty-free. But there appears to be some exceptions and since I don't know what it is you are intending to send I wasn't able to find out if your particular item is "on the list."

BajaTripper, Thank you so much! Two ears and a tail. I just had to share this.

bbbait - 7-31-2012 at 08:33 AM

Informative! Thank you!

Bob and Susan - 7-31-2012 at 03:10 PM

hahaha that changes DAILY ...it is mexico

DavidE - 8-1-2012 at 09:01 AM

Bob and Susan,

Please explain. If you have examples of ADUANA exempting this rule, please let me know by U2U. My question deals with DHL and ADUANA and is important to me. Better yet, make you reply public. I am sure others may be interested.

Thank You

capt. mike - 8-1-2012 at 11:35 AM

Bob is right as usual.
the one thing that is static in mexico is that it is instatic.

David - you are seasoned enough to know that.
the price is what you get when you get there.....

DENNIS - 8-1-2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

Please explain. If you have examples of ADUANA exempting this rule,

I don't think Aduana exempts too many rules. For my experience, it's more like a reinterpretation to fit the moment. :light:

DavidE - 8-1-2012 at 03:35 PM

Jeez, 22 DHL shipments (some to Zihuatanejo, some to Barra de Navidad, and others to Morelia over a nine year period and ADUANA always adhered to the fifty dollar and under rule, always taxed me correctly, I always paid the DHL driver or the DSL cajero in the office and got a receipt. But with an eighty-eight dollar shipment and the increase on limit I'd better not chance it with folks advising that things may have changed. The new Baja package delivery service quoted me forty eight dollars TAX, to get it (an eighty eight dollar package) into the country. A made-in-USA permissible item. Shipping was extra. Total adds up to more than the worth of a lightweight item.

[Edited on 8-1-2012 by DavidE]

Bajatripper - 8-2-2012 at 02:36 PM

Well, DavidE, now that I'm over my wrath, I am able to control myself enough to include this tidbit. The local DHL office gave me this phone number in case there were more questions that needed answering:
01-800-765-6345. They also have a website: www.dhl.com.mx.

Perhaps that info may be of further use to you.

Steve

Bajatripper - 8-2-2012 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

Please explain. If you have examples of ADUANA exempting this rule,

I don't think Aduana exempts too many rules. For my experience, it's more like a reinterpretation to fit the moment. :light:

Gawd damn it's nice to see "DENNIS" once again on the Nomad board (and I do mean that!).