BajaNomad

Mexican Ceviche..can't get any better than this...

EnsenadaDr - 8-2-2012 at 06:46 PM

What a great snack or meal..Mexican style Ceviche...my neighbor recommended Ceviche 3 tostadas for $20 pesos in Valle Verde, Ensenada...freshly made every morning...cheap...but fit for a king (or a queen!!). A little avocado on top crowns this delicious gastronomic delight!!! Where is your best bet for Ceviche??

DavidE - 8-2-2012 at 07:02 PM

Nostalgia...

Ceviche de camaron on board the shrimper San Pedro Cuarto (San Pedro IV) anchored in bahia sta inez, near pta chivato. Tostadas mounded with impossibly high piles of shrimp. Pacificos so cold the necks froze up, snatched from the brine solution next to the hold. The tang of salt air. Pelicans perched on the davits.

Ensenada is one of "the" spots in Mexico IMHO for seafood. Guaymas, Mazatlan, and Veracruz are the other places so precious.

As far as I'm concerned, fresh cebiche is one of the healthiest foods on earth. Cebiche taught me that tostadas, not totopos (corn chips) are better for "everything" because they have little salt. I use the word cebiche because the other spelling is so uncommon. I used it above to avoid confusion.

Now...

Where is Valley Verde? Yum yum!

make your own

bajaguy - 8-2-2012 at 07:06 PM

It's easy

EnsenadaDr - 8-2-2012 at 07:10 PM

Valle Verde is closer towards the center of town and has its own little strip mall of segundas. I have really grown to love the place. Its about a 10 minute drive to the beach, and about a 5 minute drive to downtown Ensenada. Yet, it doesn't get the traffic or the riff-raff of the downtown area. And the rents are cheap, cheap, cheap!! Want to go for a latte at 9 pm at night? NO problem. That's the problem with Punta Banda/La Joya. Everything closes up so early. Not as close to the US as Tijuana, but I wouldn't live in TJ at gunpoint (which you probably will have to do if you live there). But in an hour you are at the border, and with your Sentri pass, its fast flyin' to San Diego!!

dtbushpilot - 8-2-2012 at 09:09 PM

Ceviche de camaron, I make my own....it's legendary, like a party going on inside of your mouth.....and yes, definetly tostadas, not totopos. Serve it with a jar of mayo on the side in case you want to go all the way........

[Edited on 8-3-2012 by dtbushpilot]

BornFisher - 8-2-2012 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
It's easy

I don`t think it`s that easy........ very time consuming with all the chopping into fine bits. But what is easy and cheap, is buying it, especially the shrimp and lobster ceviche!!

bajaguy - 8-2-2012 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
It's easy

I don`t think it`s that easy........ very time consuming with all the chopping into fine bits. But what is easy and cheap, is buying it, especially the shrimp and lobster ceviche!!

Buy yourself a hand chopper........experiment with ingredients.

Then you will have the satisfaction enjoying it twice....once when you make it yourself, knowing what is in it and once when you are enjoying the eating!!!!!

EnsenadaDr - 8-2-2012 at 09:54 PM

I saw a recipe for vodka ceviche with mango...sounds really good!!

vivaloha - 8-2-2012 at 10:00 PM

Most things cooked in lime are tasty

DanO - 8-3-2012 at 12:42 PM

La Guerrerense, at Calle Primera and Alvarado, Ensenada. Bourdain ate there on his recent Baja show. The shrimp, crab, octopus and bacalao ceviches are awesome. Next trip I'm trying the sea urchin.

Mateo-Feo - 8-3-2012 at 09:24 PM

At the estero in La Bocana, with Joaquin and some fresh scallops. He'll make it happen

redhilltown - 8-3-2012 at 11:22 PM

For someone stuck in downtown Long Beach with the police helicopter overhead as we speak, this conversation is painful!!!! ;D

DavidE - 8-4-2012 at 12:07 AM

There is an arc-shaped "rocking" chef's knife that can mince shrimp, fish, and tomatoes so fast it is scary. Handle on both ends.

Bob H - 8-4-2012 at 12:53 AM

no photos?

durrelllrobert - 8-4-2012 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
There is an arc-shaped "rocking" chef's knife that can mince shrimp, fish, and tomatoes so fast it is scary. Handle on both ends.

It's called a Mezzaluna which means "half moon" in Italian, after the curved shape of the blade, and is the most common name used in the UK. Other names used include herb chopper or hachoir, which is its French name.

bajadock - 8-4-2012 at 08:39 AM

Sweetwater - 8-4-2012 at 12:03 PM

It's even better when served up by the very friendly crew by the side of the road.....

Calle Primera y Alvarado..

EnsenadaDr - 8-4-2012 at 12:06 PM

You got my curiosity up...I'm headed over to La Guerrerense right now to see if it is as good as you say it is!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
La Guerrerense, at Calle Primera and Alvarado, Ensenada. Bourdain ate there on his recent Baja show. The shrimp, crab, octopus and bacalao ceviches are awesome. Next trip I'm trying the sea urchin.

Went over there to La Guerrerense

EnsenadaDr - 8-4-2012 at 12:57 PM

It was good...but no place to sit down...my place on the corner is better and has a place to sit in the shade!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

Udo - 8-5-2012 at 07:40 AM

This is my idea of a gourmet meal!
Thanks for sharing Doc!

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Lindalou - 8-5-2012 at 08:42 AM

Hey guys, how about some recipes. I have some nice yellowtail and some shrimp from Jessies. Will yellowtail work?

woody with a view - 8-5-2012 at 08:47 AM

yes! big pieces work best. i tried this one from BDOutdoors.com and it was epic:

Recipe calls for wsb but ive used, Yellowtail, Dodo, Shrimp, Tilapia, Rock Cod, & rarely use scallops:
white sea bass (cut into 1/2 inch cubes or smaller) 2 pounds
scallops (cut into 1/2 inch cubes) optional 1 pound
juice of 4 limes 1 cup
juice of 1 lemon 1/2 cup
large tomatoes (1/4 inch dice) 5 each / +
red onions ( 1/4 inch dice) 1 cup
green bell pepper ( 1/4 inch dice) 2 each
fresh jalapeno peppers (whole / minced) 2 each / +
seranos 2 each
celery sticks ( 1/4 inch dice) 2 each
fresh large garlic cloves ( minced) 4 each
olive oil 1/2 cup
fresh parsley (minced fine) 1 bunch
fresh cilantro ( minced fine ) 2 bunch
ripe avocado ( peeled & 1/4 inch cubes ) 1 each
corriander seed ( crushed ) 1 tablespoon
kosher salt 2 tablespoon / +
ground black pepper 1 tablespoon

Preparation of ceviche: carefully prepare all ingredients according to instructions. Place everything into a glass, ceramic or non-reactive mixing bowl & allow to marinate for 5 - 7 hours before serving.

Personally Ive found it always taste better after the second day after a long soak, but it makes a huge batch so you have plenty of ceviche eating days ' dont wait till day 2 !!!!'

Dont forget the tortilla chips, enjoy!!!!

Lindalou - 8-5-2012 at 12:59 PM

Sounds really good. I need to get the other ingredients and give it a try. Thanks Woody.

Cypress - 8-5-2012 at 02:01 PM

Would prefer my seafood cooked in hot oil, baked, boiled, or grilled. Been sick one time too many from eating raw seafood , no matter what it's soaked in.:biggrin: