BajaNomad

An Expat's woes in Guanajuato

makana.gabriel - 8-2-2012 at 09:07 PM

The author laments the gringo takeover now of Guanajuato.

http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Guanajuato--The-New-San...

Mula - 8-3-2012 at 06:14 AM

Thanks for this article.

bajaguy - 8-3-2012 at 06:48 AM

If he doesn't like Americans moving in and ruining "his" city, maybe the guy should quit writing articles directed at Americans extolling the virtues of living in certain Mexican locations

[Edited on 8-3-2012 by bajaguy]

Osprey - 8-3-2012 at 06:51 AM

I've written articles like this myself. Now, almost with 20 years of retirement here in Baja Sur, I have a broader perspective about the subject and would not paint the situation with such a broad brush.

On this side for example I see many villages where the gringos act in ways that make them welcome and wanted, where they have done much to help those who could not help themselves. I think there exists a rainbow of towns in Baja California -- one where expats have tried to change the culture entire, one where they stay out of the way, one where they meld and aid in all the right ways. It's a chore to move once you're settled down here but the author seems ripe for the venture to another, more purely Mexican venue.

Pescador - 8-3-2012 at 07:29 AM

I always tell new people to Baja Mexico to travel and spend time in each community that they might choose to live in. I know that I could have moved to places like San Javier or San Jose de Magdelena but then the road was too long to get to the water. Without the influence of developers and Real Estate people, the little towns that I love and prefer have pretty much developed at their own pace with an interesting mix of locals and North Americans. Given enough time, they get used to me like I am able to get used to them. It happened slowly for me, but now I get lots of visitors who like to talk about fishing, politics, local happenings, and the like. I can only hope that things stay pretty much the same in whats left of my lifetime.

durrelllrobert - 8-3-2012 at 07:54 AM

If American Tastes is what they wanted, why didn't they stay in America where they could taste America all day and night? Why did they come here?

Exactly, but in the case of Punta Banda they want it to have rules and amenities just Orange County. Not what I moved here for :fire::fire:

805gregg - 8-3-2012 at 08:07 AM

Sounds just like Mexican ex pats living in the US.

lizard lips - 8-3-2012 at 09:17 AM

It's those damn American's that organized the Gay Pride Parade? Celebrating American holidays? Having a Mexican Attorney change the culture and laws of Mexico to conform to Americans? If this BS keeps the author up at night then MOVE AWAY! Just trying to sell his books......

chippy - 8-3-2012 at 11:21 AM

What a lame article. Some newbie gringo whining about gringos. Guanajuato has had a large gringo community for decades.

He will probably move to Patzcuaro thinking he is the only gringo there and find out later that Patz has a bunch of gringos there also.Then he can write another long whiney article.:rolleyes:

desertcpl - 8-3-2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Sounds just like Mexican ex pats living in the US.

exactly,, its no different, some assimilate and some dont its a matter of taste,, it works both ways,
and I agree that all he is doing is whinning
,, just like I have my place in paradise and I dont want to share it,, he needs to get a life

Lee - 8-3-2012 at 01:30 PM

Every community that has ex-pats, and p/t ex-pats, has whiners like this. It's easy to blame other people for your unhappiness. This guy needs to move -- anywhere where there are less people.

Bet most of the ex-pats in this community are happy with the way it is.

This rant might be meant as a joke, too. Beyond lame.

TMW - 8-3-2012 at 02:05 PM

Interesting read but the guy does contradict himself. He says Americans are leaving the U.S. because they can't afford to retire there but he goes on the say with their money and lawyers they are changing things to become more American style. I think if they can afford a lawyer they should be able to afford to live in the U.S. I think the guy's just venting and to say his town is becoming more like the American towns he may just have done an Ad to get more to come down.

capt. mike - 8-3-2012 at 02:34 PM

total putz...

lizard lips - 8-3-2012 at 03:26 PM

300,000 Americans leaving to live abroad per year and most leave for Mexico? I don't think there are that many living in all of Mexico. I read another story about the author and it mentioned that he and his wife have lived in GTO for two years. Yep, thats enough time to really know Mexico and be an expert and write a book about it. A legend in his own mind!

Hook - 8-3-2012 at 08:01 PM

It's like the complaint about "all the jobs" going overseas or "all the gringos" moving to a foreign enclave and "ruining" it.

In both cases, it was locals who sold to gringos or Americans who decided to move jobs overseas for more dollars.

DavidE - 8-3-2012 at 08:03 PM

There are thousands of towns in Mexico. Some do not speak either Spanish or English. San Miguel de Allende has been gringolandia for forty years. Sort of like Cabo San Lucas with cathedrals, ambiance as far as I see it. Two years? Takes me that long to find the oficina de correos.

thebajarunner - 8-3-2012 at 08:16 PM

Reminds me of the old Don Sherwood show on KSFO, in SF.
(Now that will ring a few old bells)

He had a somewhat mystical character on the show named Parkey Sharkey,
and Parkey wrote a famous tome that Don quoted often,

"I seen California ruined by progress"

sort of says it all, does it not???

Mexray - 8-3-2012 at 08:55 PM

runner...Do you remember when Don Sherwood would fly down to Mulege with his Bay Area traffic reporter buddy (whose name escapes me-he flew out of San Carlos) back in the 60's?

The great stories old Don could tell! I'm sure Don and his friends had tons-o-fun there in Mulege...It's a wonder they could find their way home in those days...;)

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by Mexray]

willardguy - 8-3-2012 at 09:06 PM

douglas bower: the quintessential nomad. look around.:O

DavidE - 8-3-2012 at 10:00 PM

Sherwood ended up at KTHO in South Lake Tahoe. But before that...

"Hey everyone! You wanna get home real fast? Roll down your windows and turn your radio way up!"

(Sound Of Police Siren)

He and Herb Caen, FED the Bay Area.

thebajarunner - 8-3-2012 at 11:12 PM

Rats, I cannot recall the traffic dude's name.
But I do remember their studios were in the basement of the Fairmont on top of Nob Hill.
In the evening it was Al "Jazzbo" Collins, broadcasting "From the Grotto"

And then in the daytimes we had Giants besbol with Russ and Lon. Very few night games back in those days.

When I was in college I could get those night games on KSFO up home in Tacoma. You would park with a chick on a hill and make out to the pitching of Gaylord Perry and the slugging of Willie, Willie and Orlando.

movinguy - 8-4-2012 at 10:03 PM

If he wants "another town where no gringo would dare tread" he could try Juarez :o

DavidE - 8-5-2012 at 09:45 AM

Warren Boggess?

Cessna Sky Knight? Got my pilot's license in that critter. KSFO "Flying Demonstration Ten Dollars" Buchannan Municipal Airport. Went to school with Boggess' son.

But that may not have been whom you were referring to.