Santiago - 8-3-2012 at 01:46 PM

Edit: Spelling

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by Santiago]

ABS.JPG - 25kB

chippy - 8-3-2012 at 01:48 PM

Thatīs funny.:yes::bounce::bounce::yes::spingrin:

NOw THATS FUNNY TO ME!!!

captkw - 8-3-2012 at 01:49 PM

HOLA:lol::lol::lol:AS THE THIRD PERSON IN THE USA TO BE ABS CERTIFED!! THATS FUNNY..LOL...K&T:cool:

CP - 8-3-2012 at 06:10 PM

Hahaha that is terrific! I just knew that there had to be something better here than what the title stated. I was rewarded! Thanks!

Ateo - 8-3-2012 at 06:21 PM

Hilarious and true!

desertcpl - 8-3-2012 at 06:27 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 8-3-2012 at 06:31 PM

Don't you hate it when you are on a wet or dirt road and the damn car won't stop... Oh sure, the wheels didn't lock and I didn't go into a skid... but the person who's living room I just drove into wish I did! :lol::o:smug:

(on a real personal note, my '05 had this issue, but my '10 doesn't)

On dirt roads, you want the wheels to skid a bit in order that they dig in instead of gliding on top of the gravel. The Tacoma shuts off the ABS in low range 4WD... and there is a 'mod' to kill it in high range... sometimes it is as easy as pulling a fuse.

woody with a view - 8-3-2012 at 06:50 PM

that's abuse.

and FUNNY!:light:

DavidE - 8-3-2012 at 10:10 PM

heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee

gracias!

Bajatripper - 8-4-2012 at 07:19 AM

Thanks for the laugh, Santiago. That's funny!

durrelllrobert - 8-4-2012 at 07:51 AM

How did we drive before ABS? That's how I am driving now because the pressurizing pump wouldn't shut off, even with the key out, untill the battery was dead. I just removed the fuse rather than paying $500 for a new pump.

ABS

tehag - 8-4-2012 at 08:34 AM

Aren't those labels reversed? ABS keeps the wheel from "locking" into a skid. The dog on the right is clearly skidding, whereas the one on the left is leaving a stuttering track as though its brakes were not "locking" up.

I WASNT GOING TO MENTION IT !!

captkw - 8-4-2012 at 09:06 AM

Barry A. - 8-4-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Aren't those labels reversed? ABS keeps the wheel from "locking" into a skid. The dog on the right is clearly skidding, whereas the one on the left is leaving a stuttering track as though its brakes were not "locking" up.

Huh???? Labeled correctly, it seems to me. "without ABS" you lock up (as the pup on the right is doing), etc. etc.

David K--------a really good point which I had never thought of before. I have always disliked ABS, and now I know that I can "just remove a fuse". Thank you!!

(Now if I can just figure out how to have my "fog lamps" on when I am using high beams----the dealers and electricians say it can't be done without confusing the on-board computer)

Barry

David K - 8-4-2012 at 09:31 AM

Barry, in a Toyota there is a mod where the fog lights can be on anytime (not just with low beams)... You have a Nissan... may God help you! :lol:

David K - 8-4-2012 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag

and the dog on the right is skidding... and the label says 'without ABS'... at least that is what is says this morning...?

woody with a view - 8-4-2012 at 09:35 AM

"(Now if I can just figure out how to have my "fog lamps" on when I am using high beams----the dealers and electricians say it can't be done without confusing the on-board computer)"

you can't. the engineers know you want your eyes to focus far ahead when you use your brights even if you don't realize it, that's why your fogs shut off.....

Barry A. - 8-4-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
"(Now if I can just figure out how to have my "fog lamps" on when I am using high beams----the dealers and electricians say it can't be done without confusing the on-board computer)"

you can't. the engineers know you want your eyes to focus far ahead when you use your brights even if you don't realize it, that's why your fogs shut off.....

Yeah, that's sorta what they tell me, but your explanation is better------but, like JoJo, the Engineers do NOT know what I want, or need---------The fog lamps on my Nissan X are so good that they really give excellent wide visual sight at short range-------ideally, to me, I want to use the high beams to see far down the trail, and the fog lamps to show me the critters that may run out in front of me----(splat!!!) Simultaneously!!!!!!

This "car thinking for me" just drives me nuts!!! I WANT A TOYOTA!!!!!! :lol:

Barry

Santiago - 8-4-2012 at 10:01 AM

Pssst..I changed it but don't tell tehag, he'll think he's going nuts.

woody with a view - 8-4-2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Yeah, that's sorta what they tell me, but your explanation is better------but, like JoJo, the Engineers do NOT know what I want, or need---------The fog lamps on my Nissan X are so good that they really give excellent wide visual sight at short range-------ideally, to me, I want to use the high beams to see far down the trail, and the fog lamps to show me the critters that may run out in front of me----(splat!!!) Simultaneously!!!!!!

This "car thinking for me" just drives me nuts!!! I WANT A TOYOTA!!!!!! :lol:

Barry

try it next time you are driving at night, preferably behind a cop!:lol::lol: notice how your eyes focus far ahead when the brights go on and when the brights are off your eyes focus close up. if they worked together there would be too much like diffusing up close to let your eyes focus far ahead.

desertcpl - 8-4-2012 at 10:08 AM

okay
now I am going to really test some of us old timers

my first Car ( truck ) was a 1935 ford PU with Mechanicial
brakes,,, I remember the first time driving thru water then trying to stop WTF

David K - 8-4-2012 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Pssst..I changed it but don't tell tehag, he'll think he's going nuts.

Jim, I wasn't going to rat on you, but good of you to 'fess up'!:light:

vgabndo - 8-4-2012 at 10:31 AM

Dodge, in an apparent effort to out-idiot all the other US manufacturers, built a non-resettable (junk) circuit breaker into the ABS control module. $400.00 from the stealership, $160.00 used (UP?), and about $30. to ship it to the east coast to be rebuilt. Then take it back to the stealership to be "re-programmed".

When unplugged the Dodge will have no ABS, no speedo, no cruise control, and no trip computer.

For guys like DK who denigrate ABS, I assume you don't drive on slippery surfaces very much. The sudden reduction in control when driving without ABS on slippery roads is VERY obvious; especially in a pickup truck.

Most of the wrecks around here, when it is slippery, are caused by people driving fancy all wheel drive cars who think that because they can GO so good, that they can STOP just as good. Not true; even WITH ABS. There is also the element that because the cars make it so easy, a lot of people just don't learn how to drive in slippery conditions without a computer to help them.

Edit to correct the price of a "fix" if like me you are running around "un-plugged". $50.00
http://www.myairbags.com/abs.php

The photo is cute. I'm curious...which dog was hardest to pull?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by vgabndo]

ABS

tehag - 8-4-2012 at 10:57 AM

OMG!! I'm going nuts!!

Cypress - 8-4-2012 at 11:15 AM

Something about that ABS braking system video makes me want to......:biggrin:

David K - 8-4-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Dodge, in an apparent effort to out-idiot all the other US manufacturers, built a non-resettable (junk) circuit breaker into the ABS control module. $400.00 from the stealership, $160.00 used (UP?), and about $30. to ship it to the east coast to be rebuilt. Then take it back to the stealership to be "re-programmed".

When unplugged the Dodge will have no ABS, no speedo, no cruise control, and no trip computer.

For guys like DK who denigrate ABS, I assume you don't drive on slippery surfaces very much. The sudden reduction in control when driving without ABS on slippery roads is VERY obvious; especially in a pickup truck.

Most of the wrecks around here, when it is slippery, are caused by people driving fancy all wheel drive cars who think that because they can GO so good, that they can STOP just as good. Not true; even WITH ABS. There is also the element that because the cars make it so easy, a lot of people just don't learn how to drive in slippery conditions without a computer to help them.

Edit to correct the price of a "fix" if like me you are running around "un-plugged". $50.00
http://www.myairbags.com/abs.php

The photo is cute. I'm curious...which dog was hardest to pull?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by vgabndo]

Hey, don't put me down as a 'denigrator' , :lol: Santiago posted a photo that was humorous and somewhat true. My 2010 Tacoma ABS works fine, and I have never tried to kill it. My 2005 was a different story and many times my truck 'almost' crashed because its ABS system wouldn't stop it as quickly as 'normal' brakes would. I still did not mod it or disable it, however. Perhaps if I did crash, then yes.

woody with a view - 8-4-2012 at 01:59 PM

my tundra stops like a fat chick running down a steep hill.....

glad i don't drive a ford pinto

mtgoat666 - 8-4-2012 at 02:23 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: something unsettling about a bunch of middle+ aged and elderly with diminished speed of braking reflex bombing down the highway in large trucks after having purposely disabled their ABS :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:o:o:o:o

:!::!::!::!::!:

:?::?::?::?::?:

p.s. I love ABS! I have several cars with ABS and one car w/o ABS -- the non-ABS car is scary on highway, takes twice as long to stop in a fast-brake situation. i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS. why not just drive w/o seat belts and take up smoking?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by mtgoat666]

David K - 8-4-2012 at 02:24 PM

What year is it Woody? Maybe it has the same system as my 2005 did?

Barry A. - 8-4-2012 at 03:41 PM

My ABS in my fantastic Nissan X-terra makes such wierd noises when going around a curve a little fast, or when I drop a wheel into some gravel, that I think the truck is coming unglued!!! At least the dealer TELLS ME it is the ABS. Very annoying and distracting, and lots of mild vibration and pulsating brake pedal when this happens.

Unlike the Goat, I pine for the simple vehicles of yesteryear with which I NEVER had any problems to speak of.

The beauty of the human-eye is that it is almost instantly able to focus at distance or at close up, negating the "engineers" belief that I can't.

Barry

Maderita - 8-4-2012 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS.

Have you tried stopping on dirt, muddy, or gravel roads? Some vehicles with ABS seem to stop okay. Others, like my E350 van, take more than twice the distance to stop. ABS creates a dangerous situation when offroad for many vehicles.

woody with a view - 8-4-2012 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

2003 w/ 125k. it's had the TSB for the caliper upgrade, slotted rotors and Hawk pads, flushed the fluid. next up is the rear pads.....:fire:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by woody with a view]

David K - 8-4-2012 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

2003 w/ 125k. it's had the TSB for the caliper upgrade, slotted rotors and Hawk pads, flushed the fluid. next up is the rear pads.....:fire:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by woody with a view]

Your '03 has 125,000 miles on it, and you only need to do a brake job? I say, you are way ahead... Of course the second gen. (full size) Tundras, or the similar size newer Tacomas are just made for taking you to Baja!

J.P. - 8-4-2012 at 07:22 PM

I have owned several class A trucks some older ones w/o abs and newer ones with. The abs takes some getting used too. The abs saved my bacon more than once most truck trailer combinaton wrecks were caused buy the trailer wheels locking up and the trailer trying to pass the tractor with abs this doesnt happen. I admit the pucker factor is there but i have never seen them fail.:lol::lol:

HOLA...IMOP--abs works over all !!

captkw - 8-4-2012 at 08:01 PM

BUT,,IF YOUR A OLD SCHOOL OFF ROADER!! NOT A DAY IN HELL!! GIVE ME BREAKS/FRENOS..KT

vgabndo - 8-4-2012 at 11:00 PM

For the record, my ABS isn't fixed 'cause of the $$$ no other reason. On snow and ice, it is a big help. I usually hitch hike to the ski area. When I have to drive, and that 8000 lbs is up to speed in the snow every little bit of control helps!!!

abs & trucks

captkw - 8-5-2012 at 07:46 AM

HOLA,IVE BEEN OUT OF THE BIZ FOR A FEW YEARS..BUT THEN AND I DO NOT KNOW IF ITS CHANGED.. TRUCK ABS SYSTEMS ONLY CONTROL THE REAR AXLE!!!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by captkw]

durrelllrobert - 8-5-2012 at 08:23 AM

Quote:

i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS. why not just drive w/o seat belts and take up smoking?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by mtgoat666]

Yep, I do those too :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by durrelllrobert]