BajaNomad

A Baja Expat in Florida (license plate envy)

bryanmckenzie - 8-5-2012 at 10:40 AM

For the time being, I guess I'll have to participate vicariously. I just cannot get Baja out of my system. Probably never will, even though the Bahamas (Florida's version of Baja) is just 50 miles offshore. I love my new Florida license plate (simply "BAJA" was already taken, as were 1, 2, 4 --- so I took "9").

And, of course, my other favorite "BC," British Columbia. Since Florida is a back-plate only state, I'm going to rotate the front tag one out every so often for each "BC."

[Edited on 2012-8-5 by bryanmckenzie]

David K - 8-5-2012 at 10:42 AM

Awesome!

bajadock - 8-5-2012 at 10:46 AM

B, I like the surf plate. Florida has more custom plates than any other state.

I'm in Florida 2 x per year. What's your location in the humidity?

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by bajadock]

bryanmckenzie - 8-5-2012 at 11:06 AM

Thanks. I had forgotten to update my profile. I'm near Ocala, near Gainesville, in the north central part of the state. Rolling hills & (ironically) horse country with big ranches. Closer to the Gulf of Mexico (ow wow, there is a bit of "Mexico" nearby) than the Atlantic Ocean. Give me a shout before you come visit and perhaps we can get together.

Florida is nuts. More types of plates than any other state. And I've seen seen the one I selected. I might be the only one in the state with the "endless summer" tag.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
B, I like the surf plate. Florida has more customer plates than any other state.

I'm in Florida 2 x per year. What's your location in the humidity?

DavidE - 8-5-2012 at 11:11 AM

My job #1 in the states: Find the largest mexican tienda in the area. Thankfully for me expat Mexicanos demand totality in shopping. Products, meats, veggies. Even the store aromas are a "fix". Ask around and you may find a tamale connection. Arrachera, and more.

bajadock - 8-5-2012 at 11:11 AM

Ocala is close to my mom's place in Leesburg. Will shout when I'm headed there toward December/January. Stay cool.

bryanmckenzie - 8-5-2012 at 12:01 PM

Hey Dock,
It looks to be about 40 miles from where I am.
I wish we'd connected sooner near Ensenada.
I just checked your website and I prefer the same things in food and beverage ... simple, fresh, inexpensive and tasty.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Ocala is close to my mom's place in Leesburg. Will shout when I'm headed there toward December/January. Stay cool.

Cypress - 8-5-2012 at 12:08 PM

bryanmckenzie, The Gulf of Mexico? Great fishing, better than the Sea of Cortez. You don't have to dodge seiners or gill nets. There are limits, regulations, and seasons. And they enforce 'em. It's paying off! Tilted toward the sports/ family fisherman? The bottom fish(snapper&grouper) have rebounded. :D

bryanmckenzie - 8-5-2012 at 01:51 PM

Thanks Cypress. My dad has a small boat. He and I are supposed to go out soon to fish some. I'm looking forward to it. It'll be a whole new experience from the Pacific or Sea of Cortez. He's the fisherman (season, species, licenses), so I'm learning yet again. Here's my last catch (yuck, yuck), about 6 years ago. I don't even remember what it was or if it was big enough to hang onto.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
bryanmckenzie, The Gulf of Mexico? Great fishing, better than the Sea of Cortez. You don't have to dodge seiners or gill nets. There are limits, regulations, and seasons. And they enforce 'em. It's paying off! Tilted toward the sports/ family fisherman? The bottom fish(snapper&grouper) have rebounded. :D

vgabndo - 8-5-2012 at 02:57 PM

Bryan...I can't read the California "Bear Flag" style shirt. Details please.:lol:

bryanmckenzie - 8-5-2012 at 05:18 PM

Very cool T-shirt. I love it. From Mulege. Purchased from Iselle at her store on (I'm pretty sure) on the west side of Calle Zaragoza. Here's a pic.

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Bryan...I can't read the California "Bear Flag" style shirt. Details please.:lol:

EnsenadaDr - 8-5-2012 at 07:29 PM

Spent two years working in a hospital in Avon Park, near Sebring. Very pretty area. My dad worked many years in the Miami area. I spent numerous winters and years in Miami Beach. Alot of Mexicans working the orange groves in Central Florida. Came back to Baja to go to Med School. What are you doing down there?

Plate suggestions

bajaguy - 8-5-2012 at 07:48 PM

BAAJAA

BAAHAA

bryanmckenzie - 9-24-2012 at 07:22 PM

Sorry, so long in responding. A few hours of part time work and some volunteer work. But mainly, I had to relocate here to care for my elderly mother; events changed rather rapidly back in April. SW of Gainesville, in the boonies, near Crystal River on the Nature Coast. I'm learning how to be a caregiver. And slowly exploring these here parts. Wow, is Florida (and Florida people) different!

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Spent two years working in a hospital in Avon Park, near Sebring. Very pretty area. My dad worked many years in the Miami area. I spent numerous winters and years in Miami Beach. Alot of Mexicans working the orange groves in Central Florida. Came back to Baja to go to Med School. What are you doing down there?

David K - 9-24-2012 at 08:07 PM

MULEGE is misspelled on that shirt! WOW

Bob H - 9-24-2012 at 11:32 PM

Enjoyed your license plate photos. I grew up in Miami from the early 50's until I moved to San Diego in 1984. I miss the tropical plants and a lot of friends there. But, I do NOT miss that humidity.

Used to shore fish the Gulf of Mexico with my Grandfather back in the early 60's just off the coast of Sarasota. He was a great fisherman back in those days and we caught a lot of fish. Wonderful memories of those days.

bryanmckenzie - 9-25-2012 at 03:17 PM

Oh, that is funny. I did not even see that.
It must be made in Sri Lanka. You know, to save on labor costs.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

bryanmckenzie - 9-25-2012 at 03:19 PM

Thanks Bob. My dad and I are supposed to take his small boat out on the Gulf this month and see what we can reel in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Enjoyed your license plate photos. I grew up in Miami from the early 50's until I moved to San Diego in 1984. I miss the tropical plants and a lot of friends there. But, I do NOT miss that humidity.

Used to shore fish the Gulf of Mexico with my Grandfather back in the early 60's just off the coast of Sarasota. He was a great fisherman back in those days and we caught a lot of fish. Wonderful memories of those days.

David K - 9-25-2012 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Oh, that is funny. I did not even see that.
It must be made in Sri Lanka. You know, to save on labor costs.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Oh, I bet it was designed by a gringo who thinks being close as just as good to being right! I just hope it isn't cuss word spelled that way, LOL!

Bob H - 9-25-2012 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Thanks Bob. My dad and I are supposed to take his small boat out on the Gulf this month and see what we can reel in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Man, the fishing that coast in the 60's was just unbelievable. Don't know what it is like now.

bryanmckenzie - 9-26-2012 at 08:11 AM

I'll get you a private fishing update in a few weeks. He prefers close-in. I prefer farther out. Just now learning the species & nuances (tides, weather) of this Gulf in stead of 'that' other one that I much prefer.

Quote:
Man, the fishing that coast in the 60's was just unbelievable. Don't know what it is like now.

HOWS THE FISHING

captkw - 9-26-2012 at 08:21 AM

HOLA,THE BP SPILL AFFECTED THE GOLF RATHER BAD FROM MY UNDERSTANDING !! NO ?? K&T:cool:

[Edited on 9-26-2012 by captkw]

bryanmckenzie - 10-11-2012 at 08:03 AM

I still haven't gone out. Busy, busy. But from I hear from other people, fish is back to normal.