BajaNomad

Mission to Mars Live TV

Bajaboy - 8-5-2012 at 09:03 PM

supposed to land at 10:32 PST...are you watching: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Bajaboy - 8-5-2012 at 09:41 PM

This is really cool stuff....makes me want to wake up my kids...if they were just a few years older.

EnsenadaDr - 8-5-2012 at 09:44 PM

yes, its amazing I love space exploration..thanks for the link!!!

David K - 8-5-2012 at 10:17 PM

Great!

DOWN

bajaguy - 8-5-2012 at 10:36 PM

LANDED................and photos coming in!!!!

BajaDanD - 8-5-2012 at 10:41 PM

Wow just watched the whole thing AMAZING
Thanks for posting the link
DanD

redhilltown - 8-5-2012 at 11:06 PM

Very cool!!! This is better than being on a secluded beach in Baja and catching fresh Sierra for ceviche!

Ok...I lie...but it's still VERY cool! :tumble:

Mexitron - 8-6-2012 at 05:33 AM

Congrats NASA! That was quite a sequence of events to get Curiosity down on the planet.....sheesh, a sky crane!

Barry A. - 8-6-2012 at 07:48 AM

Many thanks, BajaBoy, to the great "link" to the happenings. My Cable (Charter) does not have the NASA channels, so your link was a live saver for me.

Whew, what an exciting thing to watch. They "did it" flawlessly, apparently. Great photos too.

Barry

desertcpl - 8-6-2012 at 08:08 AM

makes you proud

capt. mike - 8-7-2012 at 10:20 AM

$2B is too much to spend when we are $14 T in debt.
get the debt down then go explore planets for little bugs.

The fed borrows a buck now for every 3 it spends. Stop the spending, stop the madness.

DavidT - 8-7-2012 at 11:52 AM

Dear Religion, While you were debating what chicken sandwiches were okay to eat, I just landed on Mars. Sincerely, Your Pal Science

Cisco - 8-7-2012 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
$2B is too much to spend when we are $14 T in debt.
get the debt down then go explore planets for little bugs.

The fed borrows a buck now for every 3 it spends. Stop the spending, stop the madness.

Didn't most of the stuff in your airplane come from Government exploration and R & D???

I assume you have an airplane.

Cisco wants to know....

capt. mike - 8-7-2012 at 02:58 PM

"Didn't most of the stuff in your airplane come from Government exploration and R & D???

I assume you have an airplane. "

well no, actually it came from PRIVATE industry and Piper and evolved from the work of the Wright Bros, Glenn Curtis then Pug Piper.
Not to mention the work of Clyde Cessna and Walter Beech.....
but i'll admit that the guvmint had it all to do with GPS.

Excepting the guvmint's involvement in the war efforts and military aviation [using private American contractors/industry] most everything in today's GA aircraft are a function of private free enterprize and capitalism!

I have no problem with R&;D NASA etc but only when we can afford it. Right now we can't. The deficit spending is unsustainable and is becoming a ponzi scheme.

I like flying the baja.....;^))

Cisco - 8-7-2012 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
"Didn't most of the stuff in your airplane come from Government exploration and R & D???

I assume you have an airplane. "

well no, actually it came from PRIVATE industry and Piper and evolved from the work of the Wright Bros, Glenn Curtis then Pug Piper.
Not to mention the work of Clyde Cessna and Walter Beech.....
but i'll admit that the guvmint had it all to do with GPS.

Excepting the guvmint's involvement in the war efforts and military aviation [using private American contractors/industry] most everything in today's GA aircraft are a function of private free enterprize and capitalism!

I have no problem with R&;D NASA etc but only when we can afford it. Right now we can't. The deficit spending is unsustainable and is becoming a ponzi scheme.

I like flying the baja.....;^))

Yeah, I liked flying Baja also.

Check this out, just in:

The federal government spends $2.1 trillion (57% of the budget) on entitlements, $881 billion (24%) for defense plus homeland security, $200 billion (7%) for interest on the debt, and $462 billion (12.5%) for the entire rest of the government. NASA's share of that ($18.7 billion) is 0.5% of the budget, and the $4.2 billion Space Operations portion is just 0.1% of what the federal government sucks out of our lives. That 0.1% is being better spent than anything else the government does.

capt. mike - 8-7-2012 at 03:17 PM

good stats. and i would agree to a point that the NASA budget is a small % and possibly has payback for the masses. But i'd also want private industry to have a chance to compete for services against any guvmint agency project. Like the POST OFFICE!

however with many boondoggle projects and agencies here and there, i submit that each penny needs to be critiqued before it gets funded - 14 trillion is out of control. Were printing too much money and devaluating our base. When the dollar gets close to worthless we will be in serious deep doo. The best thing to do is an amendment that the budget must be a balanced one each year no matter the cut to services. Then we will begin the long climb out of this hole. It will take a generation.

durrelllrobert - 8-7-2012 at 04:00 PM

Quote:

But don't forget that government $ funded Raytheon that in turn lead to major improvements in CA:

In 1980, Raytheon acquired Beech Aircraft Corporation, a leading manufacturer of general aviation aircraft founded in 1932 by Walter H. Beech. In 1993 the company expanded its aircraft activities by adding the Hawker line of business jets by acquiring Corporate Jets Inc., the business jet product line of British Aerospace (now BAE Systems). These two entities were merged in 1994 to become the Raytheon Aircraft Company. In the first quarter of 2007 Raytheon sold its aircraft operations, which is now operating as Hawker Beechcraft. The product line of Raytheon's aircraft subsidiary included business jets such as the Hawker 800XP and Hawker 4000, the Beechjet 400A, and the Premier I; the popular King Air series of twin turboprops; and piston-engine aircraft such as the Bonanza. Its special-mission aircraft included the single-turboprop T-6A Texan II, which had been chosen to be the primary training aircraft for the United States Air Force and United States Navy.

Raytheon Company is a major American defense contractor and industrial corporation with core manufacturing concentrations in weapons and military and commercial electronics. It was previously involved in corporate and special-mission aircraft until early 2007. Raytheon is the world's largest producer of guided missiles.

J.P. - 8-7-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

Isn't

But don't forget that government $ funded Raytheon that in turn lead to major improvements in CA:

In 1980, Raytheon acquired Beech Aircraft Corporation, a leading manufacturer of general aviation aircraft founded in 1932 by Walter H. Beech. In 1993 the company expanded its aircraft activities by adding the Hawker line of business jets by acquiring Corporate Jets Inc., the business jet product line of British Aerospace (now BAE Systems). These two entities were merged in 1994 to become the Raytheon Aircraft Company. In the first quarter of 2007 Raytheon sold its aircraft operations, which is now operating as Hawker Beechcraft. The product line of Raytheon's aircraft subsidiary included business jets such as the Hawker 800XP and Hawker 4000, the Beechjet 400A, and the Premier I; the popular King Air series of twin turboprops; and piston-engine aircraft such as the Bonanza. Its special-mission aircraft included the single-turboprop T-6A Texan II, which had been chosen to be the primary training aircraft for the United States Air Force and United States Navy.

Raytheon Company is a major American defense contractor and industrial corporation with core manufacturing concentrations in weapons and military and commercial electronics. It was previously involved in corporate and special-mission aircraft until early 2007. Raytheon is the world's largest producer of guided missiles.

Isn't Raytheon owned buy the Howard Hughes Foundation.:?::?::?: