BajaNomad

wheelchair and blood needed in LA PAZ - SALVATIERRA HOSPITAL

BajaBlanca - 8-8-2012 at 07:56 AM

I read this in the Baja Western Onion online newsletter and thought I would share in case anyone can help-

from Aug. 3:

Blood Needed Urgently 0- or O+ OK - Armando Molina, a builder hardware store owner of los barriles, received multiple fractures in a serious car racing collision - legs - arm - shoulder - he needs more blood asap to complete necessary surgeries - the only way to donate is to go to the salvatierre hospital in la paz where they have a blood bank - if you can donate or know anyone in la paz can donate please urge them to go - armando is in the fidepaz hospital - there are restrictions to giving blood - From the B.C.S. Blood Bank, Salvatierra Hospital From 8:00 to 17:00 Monday to Sunday (must bring ID). Requirements to donate blood:
Important: Weight at least 110 pounds. Measure at least 4'11". Ages 18 to 65. 45 days or more from last donation. No alcohol or medications in the last 48 hours. No cavities. Up to 3 months pregnant. Slept 6 consecutive hours. Arrive with an empty stomach (only liquids/juice).
People with the following history can't be donors:. Homosexuals. STD herpes. HIV+. Bisexuals. Cancer or diabetes. Promiscuous heterosexuals. Prostitute men or women. Paid donors. Intravenous drug use. Malaria in the last 5 years. Hepatitis at any stage in life. Heart problems (insufficiency, hypertension, attacks). Epilepsy or convulsive crisis.
You cannot donate if: Presently. Have infection symptoms (diarrhea, fever, cough, flu). Are taking medication. Women are in their period. Women more than 3 months pregnant, lactating or that just had a baby. Have active allergies.
In the last year: Had syphillys or gonorreah. Been in contact with a person with hepatitis. Had gammaglobulin applied. Had tattoos, acupuncture or diverse punctures/piercings. Blood transfusions or derivates. Organ transplant. Rabies or hepatitis B shots.
In the last 6 months: Major surgery (3 months for minor).
In the last 28 days: Smallpox, tetanus, measles shots.
In the last 72 hours: Dental extractions.
- Tessa Nisbet, tessabarriles [- at -] gmail.com, 6241410427

FROM TODAY:

Update On Armando Molina's Condition And Requirementss - As of Thursday afternoon, Armando has not had the surgery to correct fracture of right knee and leg. It has been postponed until Friday evening. He was rather heavily sedated when I spoke to him, but he said he was not in pain.

The ongoing saga of blood donations continues. There is a very persistent Off Road Racer in the US named Mike who is gallantly perusing the correct avenues of donating blood in the US and having it sent down to La Paz for Armando. He has been met by many obstacles and yet he refuses to throw in the towel. So far, he has found out that all blood donated in Mexico has to be tested for Malaria. The US does not have a Malaria problem so a test is not required. So, now he is seeking some Mexican medical authority to declare in writing that they will accept the US blood without testing it for Malaria and PRE-CLEAR it in customs. I think you can all see where this could end up, with the blood just sitting somewhere in obscurity, waiting, while it's viability slips away. But Mike is a persistent man, and I do not think he will give up. If the blood does not get here in time to be used for Armando, then it will at least credit his blood bank "account". So thank you, Mike and Tessa. This will be a valuable lesson that could save one of us in the future. When it gets figured out, I hope the information will be shared on the Pony. Maybe Char has some insight into this matter.

Now, I am sending out another request to the amazing East Cape community. Armando has a broken clavicle, arm and hand, and two broken legs. He will not be ambulatory for quite a while. And with a broken arm, crutches are out of the picture. He asked me today if I could bring him a wheelchair when I return next week to Los Barriles. Before I undertake that assignment, shopping around in Las Vegas in 110 degree heat, and dragging one down in my little car, I am asking if anyone in the community, please, could loan him one for 6-8 weeks. It would have to be adult size, and have foot/leg supports. Nothing fancy. Please ask around to your neighbors who may not read the BPE. Maybe one is sitting around in a bodega waiting for the user to return in the winter. If you have one available, please let me know as soon as possible.

Again, I thank you all for your encouraging words and prayers to Armando and his family. He has received all the messages you have sent me and he and Paulie are overwhelmed by your show of support and kind words. Juanita Mesa RN - Posted By: Tessa Nisbet, tessabarriles@gmail.com, 624-141-0427

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by BajaBlanca]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-8-2012 at 12:44 PM

Hola,

just putting this at the top of the forum, as it should be.

over the years, i have known armando as a businessman in los barriles and he has a great hardware/construction store and he and his employees are the nicest and most service oriented people.

if you have the ability to donate to this wonderful man, please help.

may armando's surgeries go well and he has a full and speedy recovery.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

DENNIS - 8-8-2012 at 01:55 PM

If anyone is heading south and can swing out to Punta Banda, I have a new wheelchair that can continue on down with them. I'm graduating to the Quad Cane exclusively.

Eli - 8-8-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If anyone is heading south and can swing out to Punta Banda, I have a new wheelchair that can continue on down with them. I'm graduating to the Quad Cane exclusively.

That's all around great news Dennis!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-8-2012 at 05:33 PM

Hola Dennis,

your graduation is really great news !!!! hopefully, you'll be able to shed the cane soon too.

i have posted your wonderful gift of the wheelchair on a couple of baja websites and i am sure i'll be able to get someone to get together with you to get the wheelchair to los barriles. as armondo is still in the hospital in la paz, there is the possibility of a la paz delivery.

thank you so very much,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

DENNIS - 8-8-2012 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
your graduation is really great news !!!! hopefully, you'll be able to shed the cane soon too.

:?::?:Not so sure about the cane, but thanks. I'm just glad to get out of that chair.

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2012 at 09:27 AM

bump