BajaNomad

A fish story

woody with a view - 8-9-2012 at 02:09 PM

We left late morning Tues and headed for Pta Banda. We got to Campo La Joya and met up with Ivan at Vonny's Fleet. Made arrangements to fish in the morning and spent the afternoon spanking ballenas and caguamas on the beach.

We were looking for White Sea Bass and Yellowtail but with the bait boats in feeding the Bluefin Tuna in the pens for the past couple of days the constant drone of the engines, pumps and generators spooked the fish. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Long story short we had a beautiful morning on the water in a new location, close to home, that we look forward to returning. We were out of the water by noon and pulling in the driveway at 3:30 yesterday.

A better whirlwind 24 hour trip there never was. Oh yeah, the waves looked good at 38's, Rocketman's, and even La Fonda both times we passed by. I really should have brought a board but it was a quick trip with my wife to work out the fishing kinks before the big Todos Santos trip in Oct.

Rockcod, Lingcod and various Bass. They look small but the table is made of 2x12 planks.

[Edited on 8-9-2012 by BajaNomad]

Skipjack Joe - 8-9-2012 at 02:46 PM

Those are all fine eating fish. Fresh fish like those are about as good as it gets, nutrition wise.

Loretana - 8-9-2012 at 04:08 PM

That Ling Cod is some of the best eating ever!

LING COD VERA CRUZ

2 TB olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic (razor sliced super thin the way they did it in "Goodfellas")
1 jalapeno, diced fine
1 serrano pepper diced fine
2 cups diced tomato
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
2 TB tequila (or more, depending on your mood)
1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, peppers, and saute till tender and aromatic, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chopped tomato and cook another minute. Stir in the orange and lime juices, the tequila, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Nestle the ling cod fillets into the sauce and spoon sauce to cover. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer, decrease heat and cook till fillets are just opaque thru, 8 to 10 more minutes.

Lift fish from sauce to plate, and arrange over steamed rice. Reduce the sauce somewhat and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro.

Add a splash of your favorite flame-throwing pepper sauce, if you need to kick it up a notch!

You lucky fisherman!

[Edited on 8-9-2012 by Loretana]

Cypress - 8-9-2012 at 04:13 PM

Dip those fillets in egg, roll 'em in corn meal and fry 'em!!! to a golden, crispy brown! You can do whatever you want with 'em afterwards.:yes:

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2012 at 04:25 PM

good story ! great pics ! those great escapes keep one feeling alive !

Fresh fish don't need no stinkin sauces

thebajarunner - 8-9-2012 at 04:58 PM

If they come from the market, then pull out the recipes

If they come straight from your boat just fry em and eat em.

Hate to sully up the taste of "the real thing"

DENNIS - 8-9-2012 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

We were looking for White Sea Bass

They were killing them earlier in the week and last week, Woody..on one day, Jay got a mess of them...the largest being 60 lbs. The other day, George Conlon got a 70 pounder right out front of my house.
Jeeeezo...it doesn't get any better than that.

woody with a view - 8-9-2012 at 05:10 PM

agreed! but if it was called "catching" we would have, a lot!

Cypress - 8-9-2012 at 05:11 PM

Time to get the oil hot and fry some fish!!!:biggrin:

dtbushpilot - 8-9-2012 at 05:18 PM

Good job woody, thanks for sharing...

woody with a view - 8-9-2012 at 05:19 PM

equal parts flour, panko and creole seasoning. bake it for 25 minutes at 410 degrees and put it on a plate with some garden salad with all of the fresh basil, tomatoes, cucumber and red onion that is ready to harvest. drizzle with fresh bought Baja olive oil and tell yourself, "over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes!"

that's what i'm doing right now.....