BajaNomad

Underwater art project at the edge of Espirtu Santos Island

Tommy A - 8-10-2012 at 10:09 AM

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-m...

You need to cut and paste this link.

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by Tommy A]

DENNIS - 8-10-2012 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy A
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-m...

You need to cut and paste this link.

I was jes gonna mention that. Thanks.

shari - 8-10-2012 at 10:19 AM

sounds lovely...can we watch it online?

David K - 8-10-2012 at 10:24 AM

Garden in the Sea (link)

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 8-10-2012 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
These islands, Cerralvo, Espirtu Santo and Partida have a long history of divers using diving helmets and hoses to dive in relatively shallow areas. In fact Life magazine did a story on the area way back in the 50's or 60's.

A friend there has recreated diving helmets with fibreglass and weights and we use hand pumps, the kind we use for kitesurfing kites and a pair can paddle out with a stand up paddle board while one dives to about 20-30 feet the other pumps air into the helmet allowing the diver to walk the bottom.

We have begun to make gardens using objects that are made on land and then dropped to the sea floor, now years later these objects are home to many happy fish.

It's really fun and simple and no machines or tanks required, very much in the tradition of the region.

My friend does take people out from la ventana to do this if you are interested but it's not for the faint of heart since it's all work done by yourself and your team. If you are interested let me know via PM and I'll connect you to the guide.

If you want to visit the art event described in this story you can contact dive services in La Paz such as Carey, Cantamar, BajaExpeditions and FunBaja.

sounds very sponge-bob-square-pants-esque. the hand-pump huka rig is a nice retro-touch, very green. what happens if the guy manning the pump gets distracted by a pretty girl paddling by and stops pumping? :lol:

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by mtgoat666]

Something like this?

Tommy A - 8-12-2012 at 01:22 PM

SEA STROLL.jpg - 35kB