BajaNomad

GASOLINERA (1) Image Worth 10,000 Words

DavidE - 8-11-2012 at 11:03 PM

http://69.73.170.179/ph5/file.php/12/3943/328477_10151163380740320_1923598526_o_2_640x480_.jpg

[Edited on 8-12-2012 by BajaNomad]

DavidE - 8-12-2012 at 08:16 AM

Paid 10.05 for Magna on the 3rd of this month. Yeah, it's nuts.

vandy - 8-12-2012 at 08:45 AM

I was paying 10.05 all the way up Baja earlier this week.

That must be a private company "competing" with Pemex.

durrelllrobert - 8-12-2012 at 09:23 AM

10.45/litro is still omly $3/gal US compared to CA prices around $4

acadist - 8-12-2012 at 10:40 AM

even better than $3.39/gal in Denver

bajagrouper - 8-12-2012 at 05:07 PM

Baja has a 11% IVA and the mainland has 16% IVA, this may be the reason for the difference in pump price. Baja price is 10.05 Pesos.

DavidE - 8-12-2012 at 05:13 PM

bajagrouper

YOU GOT IT! Not only the how, but they why!

That's why I did not title the thread "Current Fuel Prices"

And the difference in IVA, is indeed nuts. Same for restrictions on Frontera license plates, and the need for Customs inspections boarding the ferries and travel along Mex 2.

Saludos!

roundtuit - 8-13-2012 at 11:35 AM

$ 4.25 in Northern Calif. for reg. Can't wait till Oct 1 will be in Mulege for 7 months

bajagrouper - 8-13-2012 at 04:37 PM

The state of Quintana Roo has the same 11% IVA as Baja...

DavidE - 8-13-2012 at 05:34 PM

When I was last in Xcalak, and Chetumal I do not remember seeing QR Front license plates. Nor do I remember seeing Chiapas Frontera plates. Now I am wondering if it is only a norteño phenomenon?

Bob H - 8-13-2012 at 07:32 PM

We are going to New Zealand in October. It looks like gas prices there equate to almost $7/gallon. I'm stiill looking forward to going though. All over Europe it's about the same story. We still have it pretty good here.

"all over Europe" is way past $7

thebajarunner - 8-13-2012 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
We are going to New Zealand in October. It looks like gas prices there equate to almost $7/gallon. I'm stiill looking forward to going though. All over Europe it's about the same story. We still have it pretty good here.

Couple years back in Germany we paid about $9.
In Israel this spring it was over $10.
Yes, we do have it easy, painful but easy by comparison

Bob H - 8-13-2012 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Couple years back in Germany we paid about $9.
In Israel this spring it was over $10.
Yes, we do have it easy, painful but easy by comparison

There ya go. The fluctuations in monthly prices also are a lot higher. We usually travel Europe during the fall months, prices vary greatly as you drive around Europe.

wouldn't want to live there but....

durrelllrobert - 8-14-2012 at 09:13 AM

Current price in Venezula is $0.18 in US gal and $

David K - 8-14-2012 at 09:43 AM

I bet prices in Bahrain, Qatar, and the Emirates is also that low... and just think we have so much oil in our territory, but our government won't allow it to be tapped so we too can have gasoline under $2/ gallon.

Bajajorge - 8-14-2012 at 09:44 AM

It's probably all Bush's fault.:P;)

vgabndo - 8-14-2012 at 03:46 PM

It isn't necessary to go around the world for cheap oil. Some countries have managed their resources in a way that allows for very inexpensive gasoline. I read of one country where the nation's oil wealth was metered-out to the citizens as 120 ltrs/mo. in gas.

"The top spot for cheapest fuel in the world isn’t a city in Saudi Arabia, the country with one of world’s largest known oil reserves and the world’s largest exporter of crude, but Caracas in Venezuela, where petrol can be bought for as low as £0.02 (less than 12 fils) per litre. "Is Hugo Chavez proving a point to the Western world?," the folks at Staveley Head ask in the report."
http://www.emirates247.com/news/nations-with-cheapest-petrol...

0.02 Pounds is three cents isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81Wx-Baz-0:?:

This will really shake up the Calfornia gas market!!!

thebajarunner - 8-14-2012 at 03:59 PM

Arco has been a leader in low prices,
Tesoro too, but not as aggressive
Leaves just Chevron and Tesoro to battle it out her in CA.

By Ronald D. White, Los Angeles Times

August 14, 2012

Texas oil giant Tesoro Corp. said it will spend $2.5 billion to buy a sprawling refinery in Carson and other assets — including the Arco brand — from rival BP.

The move would leave most of California's gasoline production in the hands of just two companies: Tesoro and Chevron Corp.

The deal would greatly boost Tesoro's presence in the region. The San Antonio company already has agreements with more than 1,200 stations nationwide that sell its gas under the Shell, USA Gasoline and Tesoro brands.

The planned acquisition, announced Monday, requires regulatory approval from both the Federal Trade Commission and the California attorney general.

It's already raising the ire of consumer advocates, who said the move could cut back on competition, which could lead to higher prices.

"This is not good for consumers," said Charles Langley of the Utility Consumers' Action Network in San Diego. "It's a purchase that should not be allowed."

Judy Dugan, research director for Santa Monica-based Consumer Watchdog, bemoaned the action regarding Arco stations. Arco is known for offering lower prices than many other brands. "Where is the working man and woman going to go now for a good price for gasoline?" Dugan said.

Tesoro agreed to pay $1.18 billion for the refinery and gas station agreements. In addition, Tesoro plans to spend about $1.3 billion for crude and other inventories at the Carson plant, according to a statement from the company.

The purchase would be the company's third plant in California, whose emissions regulations are more complex than other states'.

The Carson plant is next to Tesoro's Wilmington refinery, and the company projects it could save

DavidE - 8-15-2012 at 09:48 AM

Last I saw, the Shell Oil Co. Martinez. CA. LOP (Light Oil Processing) facility was going full steam. Let's see, Tesoro, Chevron, Shell, and the Benecia refinery that adds up to two companies.

thebajarunner - 8-15-2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Last I saw, the Shell Oil Co. Martinez. CA. LOP (Light Oil Processing) facility was going full steam. Let's see, Tesoro, Chevron, Shell, and the Benecia refinery that adds up to two companies.

David,
Go back and re-read the article
Shell is sold under the Tesoro umbrella.
and a refinery does not count as a brand...

I know there are some Texaco, Mobil, etc in Calif
but not many
This deal really ties up the market for those two brands.

J.P. - 8-15-2012 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
I know there are some Texaco, Mobil, etc in Calif
but not many
This deal really ties up the market for those two brands.

TEXACO is history and now its EXON / MOBIL.

David K - 8-15-2012 at 02:35 PM

Texaco has disappeared from Southern California (at least all the Texacos around here have changed) and Exxon is rare. Arco, 76, Chevron, Shell, Mobil seem to be the main ones down here. The cheapest gas other than independents are Arco and Costco, but both have so much ethylene that mileage suffers, making buying other brands cheaper in the long run.

J.P. - 8-16-2012 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Texaco has disappeared from Southern California (at least all the Texacos around here have changed) and Exxon is rare. Arco, 76, Chevron, Shell, Mobil seem to be the main ones down here. The cheapest gas other than independents are Arco and Costco, but both have so much ethylene that mileage suffers, making buying other brands cheaper in the long run.

Texaco was absorbed buy Shell. about 10 years and ceased to exist as a brand name in the U.S.

[Edited on 8-16-2012 by J.P.]

Tesoro buys BP-ARCO gasoline operations

bajaguy - 8-16-2012 at 07:57 AM

BP is selling its Carson refinery, inventory and its marketing agreements with 800 dealer-operated Arco gas stations in California, Arizona and Nevada to Texas-based Tesoro Corp. for $2.5 billion, the two companies announced Monday.

http://tinyurl.com/9878jg6

Ateo - 8-16-2012 at 07:58 AM

J.P.: That would be ChevronTexaco. Chevron has branded a few stations in SoCal Texaco recently, but they're few and far between.

J.P. - 8-16-2012 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
J.P.: That would be ChevronTexaco. Chevron has branded a few stations in SoCal Texaco recently, but they're few and far between.

I have family that were Employed by Texaco in Sour Lake Tex. where Texaco well #1 was drilled They were laid off in 2001 and retieememt benifits were cashed out In Sour lake there was a big Texaco complex where only weeds grow now.

DavidE - 8-16-2012 at 06:28 PM

"David go back and re-read the thread..."

OK, I admit it, I'm confused. The link below when I read it was updated 25 minutes before. But there are no Shell stations right?

http://www.californiagasprices.com/Shell_Gas_Stations/index....

Ateo - 8-16-2012 at 06:34 PM

I think there was another thread yesterday regarding gasoline pumps under dispensing. I took some photos of some Orange County Weights and Measures reports yesterday to post but got home too late to do so.......every inspection found no discrepancy, although one report was in the favor of the customer!!!! Find that station and fill up!! Not always like that, and who knows about Mexico, but I thought it was funny. I'll find that thread and post when I get time.

DavidE - 8-16-2012 at 06:45 PM

NERD FOOD :)

http://www.grupoenergeticos.com/index-2.html

durrelllrobert - 8-16-2012 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
"David go back and re-read the thread..."

OK, I admit it, I'm confused. The link below when I read it was updated 25 minutes before. But there are no Shell stations right?

http://www.californiagasprices.com/Shell_Gas_Stations/index....

J.P. is correct. Most Texaco staions in (southern?) California became Sheel statins There are now 2 Sheel stations within a block of each other in Escondido and one of those used to be a Texaco.