BajaNomad

never a dull moment!!

astrobaja - 8-14-2012 at 10:25 PM

So yesterday there was a fire down SW of us towards rancho Santa Cruz/Potrero it was seemingly under control today with no smoke visible until about 3 when I saw another strong plume but slightly more westerly with more detail visible! As I was on the radio with the park, a chopper apppeared overhead coming from the park when it arrived at the plume it did a circle. Trouble was the chopper arrived in about 30 seconds after passing us. CRAP I thought this is new! So we took a drive out and sure enough a new fire was just starting about 4km out our road towards the park paved road! In 3 hours with a strong breeze the fire burned well over 300 acres. Forestales were helping out as best they could and the chopper headed back to Ensenada to re-fuel. Fire has ebbed with the low nighttime winds but for sure this will flare-up tomorrow, it has already jumped the observatory road and the other fire line is SE towards the park and a heavily wooded area. Hope those choppers show up in the morning! We have a big tank of agua ready for any eventuality.

[Edited on 8-15-2012 by astrobaja]

fire4.jpg - 31kB

astrobaja - 8-14-2012 at 10:30 PM

the smoke plume in the background is past the observatory road

David K - 8-14-2012 at 10:33 PM

So how does a fire start in an un-populated area? Lightning, as in the case of the fires no in east San Diego County? Hope it stays away from you guys!

astrobaja - 8-14-2012 at 10:49 PM

David there was no storm activity here today! for sure caused by a careless person. Or even a piece of glass acting as a magnifying glass.

David K - 8-14-2012 at 10:58 PM

Bummer... stay well Mike!

TMW - 8-15-2012 at 08:29 AM

Take care Mike. Does the helicopter drop anything on the fire or is it used to monitor it?

astrobaja - 8-16-2012 at 04:29 PM

TW chopper had to fly to TJ to re-fuel. Luckily it burned out as the next day it was overcast and almost windstill. Over 500 acres burned!