BajaNomad

rain rain rain

BajaBlanca - 8-15-2012 at 07:36 AM

for the 2nd time in 6 years, it poured last night ... thunder and lightning .... so loud it woke us up !

Did it rain where you are ?

Bill Collector - 8-15-2012 at 07:47 AM

In Buena Vista we've had 2 days of rain. There was supposed to be a fishing tournament out of La Ribera today but the port captain from Cabo canceled it.
Beautiful Rain

DENNIS - 8-15-2012 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

No rain, but it blew like hell for a while early in the AM.

backninedan - 8-15-2012 at 08:06 AM

Raining hard in Loreto right now, started about ten minutes ago. We can sure use it.

thebajarunner - 8-15-2012 at 08:15 AM

Doppler shows rain all the way from San Francisquito to the top of the Sea of Cortez. Heavy rain in the LABay area.
Also, showing a big thunderstorm right over El Rosario at the moment.

shari - 8-15-2012 at 08:25 AM

wow....no rain here but there was a groovy lightning show last night. The rain must have swept across to the gulf I guess but it was kinda muggy last night and this morning but is sunny and in the 80's at the moment.

It may rain over the next couple days which will be unfortunate for all the Fiesta booths etc that are set up for the next 4 days.

Mula - 8-15-2012 at 08:35 AM

Rain Lopez Mateos last night for about an hour. With thunder and lightening.
Followed by the usual power outage, but just for a short while, this time.

Down to 79 this morning with 78% humidity.

Pescador - 8-15-2012 at 08:36 AM

Rained like a big dog in Santa Rosalia. We must have had 3 inches or so. Lots of thunder and lightning as well.

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2012 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

No rain, but it blew like hell for a while early in the AM.
maybe not like hell but definitely like the Sae of Cortez :lol:

Mulegena - 8-15-2012 at 08:41 AM

Yep, Mulege got hit, too, in the middle of the night; leveling off at daybreak.

9:45 a.m. no rain, no wind and still (luckily) no sun, but I'm drenched like I showered with clothes on.

Humidity must be 100gazillion% right now.

Katiejay99 - 8-15-2012 at 09:06 AM

It rained last night here in Todos Santos as well. We got a good rain yesterday afternoon as well. I woke up this morning to the foreign sound of frogs!! The arroyo that I am beside has standing water in it that must have woke up the frogs. Sounds pretty cool.
It is overcast here right now.

DavidE - 8-15-2012 at 09:13 AM

Skyrockets exploded here on the beach starting at 12:04AM, lasted for 15 minutes, then a few cars drove off. Guess I'll still have to keep using ice-age water on the garden (sigh)

bajalinda - 8-15-2012 at 09:46 AM

Rained for about an hour here this morning (Pacific coast pretty much due west of La Paz). Overcast and a slight breeze right now.

bajajudy - 8-15-2012 at 09:47 AM

Been raining since last night here. Straight down and slow just like we like it
Probably the most beautiful day of the year so far.

Cheep - 8-15-2012 at 09:55 AM

Here at Casa Cheep (Pescadero) we had a brief shower yesterday (Tuesday). Didn't amount to much, and was warm and dry again by sunset (a nice one). Woke at 0330 this morning to a fresh south wind and real rain. Still overcast when I got up this morning, and then about an hour ago it started coming down again. No wind, just a steady, strong rain. Nice. Starting to let up a bit, but still raining now(1100).

Appears to me that this is the remnants of Ernesto? Carribean ex-hurricane which moved clear across the mainland, and now what's left is hovering over us as rain.

What do I know?

David K - 8-15-2012 at 10:02 AM

Congratulations on the rain. Two/three weeks ago when were traveling down there it was pretty dry and long time since the desert had a good watering. The exception was between San Antonio and San Bartolo where we got rained on... it was fun and made our hike to the Real de Santa Ana more fun.

DENNIS - 8-15-2012 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheep
Casa Cheep

Cheep....Reminds me of something I saw on a bar shthouse wall way back in the 60's. Charley "Bird" Parker was popular at the time and a fan of his had scrawled on the wall, "Bird Sings......cheeply."

Ohhh well....ya had to be there, I guess.

Welcome to BajaNomad, Cheep.

Cheep - 8-15-2012 at 10:16 AM

Thanks, Dennis. FYI, Bird's alto is still singin' on the iPod at Casa Cheep.

Cheeply!

Bob and Susan - 8-15-2012 at 11:43 AM

no rain on the bay in mulege...just clouds and lightning

look like it may clear by this afternoon

i went to town this morning
looks like it got wet
lots of prople cleaning up the streets

it'l be dry this afternoon

Cypress - 8-15-2012 at 11:52 AM

Cheep, Welcome aboard!!!!:yes:

bajajudy - 8-15-2012 at 01:00 PM

Still raining here!
Thank dog!

vgabndo - 8-15-2012 at 01:39 PM

Hey, Cheep, thanks for posting. You say "What do I know?" and I'm reminded of how things have changed in just the last 20 years. At San Nicolas' in the early 90's there was no outside communications except for an emergency radio to the Loreto police.

The pangueros had a remarkable sense of what weather was coming, but I missed even a radio report. Some times I talked to the yachties, but I talked like a ground pounder, and they gave me scant shrift. There is satellite internet (or was) last time I was there. Progress.

No rain in extreme Alta California. The smoke is so think today that the mountain is blue at times.

Big blob of moisture !

tortuga - 8-15-2012 at 01:45 PM

Just checked out http://www.eebmike.com/ lots of radar.
Saludos, tortuga

Paulclark - 8-15-2012 at 01:54 PM

Castillo de Arena --14 km. south of Cabo Pulmo--- started at 2:00 AM with a blast and 12 hours later it is still raining and we are up to 2 inches. Next week will be green and blooming!!~~!

[Edited on 8-16-2012 by Paulclark]

BajaBlanca - 8-15-2012 at 02:32 PM

12 hours of rain ??? where the heck is castillo de arena ?

it is quite humid today - so unusual for la bocana that methinks it might rain again tonight, but the sky is a baby blue over the ocean and very white thick n heavy clouds over the mountains to the east of us.

welcome cheep !

I will post some photos in 2 or 3 weeks when the sand will turn green with plants. Of course I forgot to mention that I watered all the garden plants yesterday. Anyone who has been here knows that Murphy definitely played a joke on me !

dtbushpilot - 8-15-2012 at 02:45 PM

It's been raining here in Buena Vista all day, hard at times, wind blowing pretty hard now and the waves are big....glad I didn't go fishing today.....

Mexitron - 8-15-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quite a pool of moisture down there...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/loop-avn.html

Barry A. - 8-15-2012 at 05:02 PM

Whoa, Mexitron------that is really cool!!!! Lets hope it all keeps coming, gradually and with no floods.

Barry

LaTijereta - 8-15-2012 at 05:50 PM

Here is another one..

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/loop-rb.html

bajajudy - 8-15-2012 at 06:00 PM

This is my fav

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html

[Edited on 8-16-2012 by bajajudy]

David K - 8-15-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
This is my fav

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html

[Edited on 8-16-2012 by bajajudy]

Great link and moving image of the storm!

bajajudy - 8-16-2012 at 07:50 AM

Still raining here this morning.
:yes::yes::yes:

dtbushpilot - 8-16-2012 at 08:26 AM

Still raining here too:spingrin::spingrin:

Hot for you?

oladulce - 8-16-2012 at 09:02 AM

It was still 86° at 10 pm last night and the past couple of days have been in the mid 90's here with fairly low humidity. (I know, all of you from Mulege to La Paz are rolling your eyes thinking "ahhh, you wimp"). That's really hot for here at Latitude 26 on the Pacific side. Been a long time since it's been this hot here.

We had about 3 minutes of rain last night at about 9pm and today is 86% humidity.

Lots of rain in Centenario (west side of BAy of La Paz)

capitolkat - 8-16-2012 at 09:36 AM

I had to go out and drain 3" from my pool about an hour ago as it rained off and on yesterday and most of this morning, many times really hard.

Bob and Susan - 8-16-2012 at 09:40 AM

rain in mulege again...the town

rain on the bay too...but not too bad

i did mark the calendar:light:

Pescadero / Todos Santos Rain again

elskel - 8-16-2012 at 09:54 AM

raining again today in Pescadero. So needed.

durrelllrobert - 8-16-2012 at 10:01 AM

less than 10 minutes rain around 4 am at Punta Banda

Mula - 8-16-2012 at 10:05 AM

Raining in Loreto, not raining in Lopez Mateos yet and NO rain in San Javier yesterday!

monoloco - 8-16-2012 at 10:08 AM

Here's a few images from last evening:

David K - 8-16-2012 at 10:12 AM

Beautiful photos!!:D

bajajudy - 8-16-2012 at 11:00 AM

We are going on approx 36 hours of rain.
:o

cabobaja - 8-16-2012 at 12:36 PM

Rancho Nuevo/Elias Calles

Two days of rain. It's 1:30pm and it's pouring. Looking at noaa site,
more to come!!

Bajaboy - 8-16-2012 at 01:39 PM

2:38 here in Bahia Asuncion and have been watching a storm in the distance from the front porch...it looked promising but I think it might be a tease...was looking forward to sitting in the hammock and enjoying some rain

DavidE - 8-16-2012 at 01:53 PM

Corn, cantaloupe, and tomatoes are loving it. Don't believe the northwesterners here appreciate a bit of warm humidity though, couldn't say. Temp is 96F, humidity is 66%.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it raised its leg and.....................

BajaBlanca - 8-16-2012 at 01:55 PM

same here as in bahia asuncion/basjaboy- lots an lots of clouds to the east - clear skies over the ocean, a little rain to watch would have been fun.

I am not used to this humidity. and I hear oladulce when she says you all are probably rolling your eyes at us wimps but IT IS HUMID. I don't remember the last time I sweated in la bocana. even when I go out cleaning....dry heat with no sweat.

I am meltinggggggggggggggggggggggggg

cabobaja - 8-16-2012 at 02:25 PM

Still raining. Just looked out the window at the ocean and the current is
very swift to the north. So, warmer waters coming north. You can see it
on the noaa site.

Bajaboy - 8-16-2012 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
Still raining. Just looked out the window at the ocean and the current is
very swift to the north. So, warmer waters coming north. You can see it
on the noaa site.

I told you to come up to the fiestas.....bring the boys

cabobaja - 8-16-2012 at 02:39 PM

Zac, would of loved to come with the boys. But, school starts Monday.
Glad you're having a blast. About time you went back to work:bounce:

shari - 8-16-2012 at 06:30 PM

It was a super hot, muggy day so Juan, Sirena, Sandcastle Mike and I went to haul on some yellowtail, followed by a nice swim...it was awesome!! Sirena made seared YT, the smoker is fired up and cooking YT and I made sashimi for the masses here....when...we felt some drops and then it actually, truly started to RAIN!!!!
...finally...most wonderful but not for the midway that opens tonight for the kiddies..sheesh!

[Edited on 8-17-2012 by shari]

woody with a view - 8-16-2012 at 06:59 PM

don't let it rain on the parade! :lol:

Ateo - 8-16-2012 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
It was a super hot, muggy day so Juan, Sirena, Sandcastle Mike and I went to haul on some yellowtail, followed by a nice swim...it was awesome!! Sirena made seared YT, the smoker is fired up and cooking YT and I made sashimi for the masses here....when...we felt some drops and then it actually, truly started to RAIN!!!!
...finally...most wonderful but not for the midway that opens tonight for the kiddies..sheesh!

Sounds nice. Wish I was there.

shari - 8-16-2012 at 08:02 PM

we had a mini deluge for awhile...enough to make a mudpit out of the midway so we decided to go the fair manana!
we were pretty bushed after doing this today.....

Bajaboy - 8-16-2012 at 09:41 PM

We had a blast with new and old friends alike frolicking in the waves as the rain came down....bbq'd up some yellowtail and washed it down with some tasty suds...another great day in paradise....

dtbushpilot - 8-16-2012 at 09:48 PM

It finally stopped raining here. We had a wonderful all day soaking here in Buena Vista, sometimes light, sometimes hard but it was all good. The roads are washed out and there are leaks where we didn't know we had them but tomorrow it will be back to normal.

My boat is on a buoy in front of the house and I have been fortunate that the pelicans had not chose to roost on my boat....so far. I understand that once they "zone in" on your boat they are hard to get rid of. Now, I think pelicans are fine birds but being a new boat owner I see them in a different light than I did before. I looked out and saw 6 pelicans sitting...and chitting on my boat so in a driving rain I launched the dingy and went out there to shoo them off. While I was there I went ahead and washed the boat and the bimini of the pelican poop, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get a fresh water rinse while it was raining. Hopefully they will find another place to roost.....

DT

captkw - 8-17-2012 at 07:05 AM

HOLA,I could write a book about pelicans !!! you said " new boat" what did you get and how many in's of rain ??

shari - 8-17-2012 at 07:57 AM

it rained off and on all night and is raining again right now...oh boy, the pitayas will be great this fall! and I can imagine all the animals grinning in La Sierra now.

and I get a break from watering, sweeping patios and laundry!!!

dtbushpilot - 8-17-2012 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,I could write a book about pelicans !!! you said " new boat" what did you get and how many in's of rain ??

Not sure how much rain but I would think a few inches, it always seems like more than it actually was. What I actually said was "new boat owner" as in being new to boat ownership. I've had small boats but not one that is left out for the birds to roost on. Tha boat is a 26' Blackman Billfisher.

bajajudy - 8-17-2012 at 08:57 AM

Off and on rain here this morning
Still cool but steamy...75 on the porch

Bajajorge - 8-17-2012 at 09:09 AM

My daughter and son in law were staying at a campo on the east cape about 40 or so miles north of San Jose Del Cabo. Couldn't get out after heavy rains flooded:O their road. Needed to get a flat bed tow truck to get their rental car back to the main highway so they could catch their flight home.

mulegemichael - 8-17-2012 at 09:12 AM

dt....have you tried a plastic great horned owl on your boat yet?....that works great for keeping seagulls off our boat up north...m.

durrelllrobert - 8-17-2012 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
I looked out and saw 6 pelicans sitting...and chitting on my boat so in a driving rain I launched the dingy and went out there to shoo them off. While I was there I went ahead and washed the boat and the bimini of the pelican poop, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get a fresh water rinse while it was raining. Hopefully they will find another place to roost.....

Here's one simple solution I read about :
PINWHEELS. You know - those little spinning things on the end of a stick you had as a child, that would spin in the breeze. They cost all of a dollar (or less) each, and I use 2-3 on each side, plus one on the bow pulpit. Figure out a way to attach them to the rails (I use Velcro cable ties), and just stick them on before you leave the boat -takes about 2 minutes total. The lightest breeze will make the little buggers spin like crazy - and the birds hate them. It works so well that the marina owner uses some around the marina himself, and the idea has caught on with other boaters in the area.
But this is probable the ultimate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfgxqHl1p0
http://gullsweep.com/More.html

bajajudy - 8-17-2012 at 10:40 AM

Uh Oh
The sun came out..............ouch

BajaBlanca - 8-17-2012 at 11:30 AM

poured again in la bocana last night - nada during the daytime except humidity and clouds. teeny tiny patches of sky thru the clouds but not much.

those pinwheels for pelicans sound like a great idea - when we had a boat, we got something in England that was based on the same idea - a bunch of wires that sway back and forth in the wind and are attached to a base.

funny story about that: when we first got back to la bocana and had our boat anchored in the water where all the fishermen launch their pangas in the morning, the popular belief was that our boat somehow had an electrical current that slightly shocked birds since no birds landed on it LOL

DavidE - 8-17-2012 at 12:58 PM

1400 Hours,

Here comes another impulse, about 120 KM in diameter. Higher cloud tops (Lightning?). Batten the hatches.