BajaNomad

Ketchup country

Osprey - 8-17-2012 at 08:12 AM

Before the storm moved off, my village got just over 2 inches of rain. Playa Tortuga, a little east of here, got 7 inches (Baja Sur's average annual rainfall).

Our fiesta usually starts August 15, the traditional and regular beginning of the monsoon season and the first rains of the summer. This year it fell hard on the 14th and killed our fishing tourney.

Now the celebration has been cancelled -- no horse races, no car races, no c-ck fights, no dance, no crowning of the queen. So the family of the prettiest girl in town has spent a fortune on the gown and crown and coif and stuff por nada.

Here in Ketchup country we go for years without a drop, then splash, way too much all at once. Way back when farmers around here coulda said "Hey, let's make the celebration part a week before or a week after" that smart guy was obviously shouted down by crusty and intractable traditionalists.

I've got booze and food. The big arroyo is runnin' like the Brazos in May, the gasolinera has gas, luz but the pumps are wet and won't give us gas.

The animals, the plants would call this a grand renewal but those are not the words I use at my house while I'm swamping out the bedroom and the bodega.

bajacalifornian - 8-17-2012 at 01:24 PM

Parta de chow!

Iflyfish - 8-17-2012 at 06:56 PM

One damp thing after another eh?!

Iflyfishwithbajaonmymind