BajaNomad

Name that fish?

bajajurel - 8-18-2012 at 12:31 PM

I bet you can't name this fish! I was fishing with my cousin Francisco Davis in Loreto last week and he showed me the pics and the fish was in his freezer. I think it looks like a cross between a dolphin, a yellowtail, and a flying fish. Whadda ya think?

woody with a view - 8-18-2012 at 12:32 PM

looks like a mermaid!

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/30/11955...

[Edited on 8-18-2012 by woody with a view]

dtbushpilot - 8-18-2012 at 12:56 PM

That's just plain weird lookin

Curt63 - 8-18-2012 at 01:04 PM

Just looks like a mutant Jurel

monoloco - 8-18-2012 at 01:20 PM

***ushima fish?

Cypress - 8-18-2012 at 01:56 PM

A Jack of some description. Horse -eye?:biggrin:

BornFisher - 8-18-2012 at 02:45 PM

Tell your cousin to taste it. Looks like an ugly YT!!
Is he keeping it frozen until he finds out what it is, or what?

BUTT UGLY TORO!!

captkw - 8-18-2012 at 03:19 PM

Paulina - 8-18-2012 at 08:40 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52527&pag...

Reminded me of the thread about the cyclops shark. I'd be worried if they both came out of the same waters, but it doesn't seem so.

P>*)))>{

Frank - 8-18-2012 at 09:36 PM

Looks like a Louvar crossed up with a yellowtail

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/louvar/louvar.htm

David K - 8-18-2012 at 09:51 PM

Looks like the Japanese nuclear waste has arrived!!!

Name that fish?

durrelllrobert - 8-19-2012 at 08:27 AM

come on. Bajajurel has asked us to give that fish a name. If it's a female I would suggest Sadie because the lips are the same as that girl at Anthony's in Ensenada :lol:

Osprey - 8-19-2012 at 08:48 AM

Wanda?

Skipjack Joe - 8-19-2012 at 09:01 AM

It's a deformed yellowtail. Either due to a mutation or some occurence in 'babyhood' that deformed the head area and later grew as best as it could.

Although a cross between yellowtail and a toro seems intriguing.....nah ..... couldn't happen.

mulegemichael - 8-19-2012 at 09:40 AM

definitely a mutated jurel...i've seen other species with the same disfigurement.

capt. mike - 8-19-2012 at 09:52 AM

send it to scripps.

baitcast - 8-19-2012 at 10:30 AM

I think it was probally a breach delivery:lol:
Rob

Bob and Susan - 8-19-2012 at 12:49 PM

bajajural...nice job!!!

can you teach me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Funny fish

tehag - 8-19-2012 at 01:04 PM

That fish was caught a while ago, and the pictures and descriptions are circulating in the ichthyology community. I'll see if I can find out what they have decided it is.

Pescador - 8-19-2012 at 03:04 PM

Man, Bajajurel, you need to keep this stuff a little quieter. That is a rare Kowabunga Queen Fish that was transplanted, along with a lot of his fellow mates from New Zealand. They take these fish, which are native to New Zealand, and grow them in a pen. Because the competition is so great for the food (they are trying to make them great fighters) they often tear the nose off of competing fish when they are actively feeding. I have four of these, as you can see from the pictures, but have been doing my very best to keep this undercover. Imagine that the Mexico department of fisheries gets wind of this and they might close down Yellowtail fishing all together. Or even worse, what might happen if it proves out that these fish are superior fighters and they wipe out the Native Yellowtail Population.

durrelllrobert - 8-19-2012 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
That is a rare Kowabunga Queen Fish that was transplanted, along with a lot of his fellow mates from New Zealand.

Sorry, my response din't post again:
My reply was:
Definetly in the Kowagunga family but this one is from the even rarer subspieces Kowabunga labio de pelo

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Bob and Susan - 8-19-2012 at 03:48 PM

thats NOT the same fish...thats a yellowtail with a dis-located jaw

Pescador - 8-19-2012 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

If you look at the fin structure of the first fish, it is definately a Yellowtail, there is no mistake of that. Mine was a little different deformity, but not that uncommon. I have caught a half dozen or so of these deformed fish, one without a tail. They get hammered in the gillnets and some survive to go another day.

BajaBlanca - 8-19-2012 at 07:25 PM

weird fish.

bajajurel - 8-19-2012 at 08:42 PM

You have some really weird fish too. I guess we just don't know everything that's out there yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

If you look at the fin structure of the first fish, it is definately a Yellowtail, there is no mistake of that. Mine was a little different deformity, but not that uncommon. I have caught a half dozen or so of these deformed fish, one without a tail. They get hammered in the gillnets and some survive to go another day.

Pescador - 8-20-2012 at 08:08 AM

I was having a little fun with the idea of a mutated fish, but both fish are examples of fish that were probably hurt during their very young years. We find a lot of Yellowtail that have missing fins, broken or almost non-existant tails, quite a few with mouth deformations like the pictures on this thread. I think it comes from the excessive gillnetting that is being done in the whole Sea of Cortez.

Again, when a fisherman uses a hook and a line, he is careful and attentive to each fish he catches as it represents money in the bank. The net guys are a whole different story, and they see so much money in the haul of the net, that a few fish thrown on the beach or a few falling back in to the water, do not seriously hamper the overall catch. You can see this at the dock everday. The hook and line fishermen come in and they treat their catch with a deference and respect and except for some odd catch fish, they do not give away many fish to the beggars who work the docks, but when the Netters come in, they can be seen giving a few yellowtail away to anyone that asks. The Hook and Line guys take their money from their catch and take it home for groceries and electricity, the Netters go buy cases of beer and Tequila and usually get drunk by the ramp.

I have a lot of respect for the Hook and Line guys and consider a lot of them good friends in the small village where I live. But I also have a friend who spent his life as a commercial fisherman and it is his opinion that the guys who use Hook and Line are a dying breed and that it is the Netters who are more effecient farmers of the ocean. While that gives me cause to think, I also know that the fishery is in trouble and the Hook and Line guys do not do as much to destroy a troubled fishery.

PECSADOR/NOMADS

captkw - 8-20-2012 at 08:12 AM

HOLA,,I SECOND YOUR OPINION !!! K&T