BajaNomad

Old School Mexican Food

bajadock - 8-25-2012 at 05:04 PM

What is your favorite "old school" Mexican restaurant? Looking for your choice on authentic mex cuisine, regardless of the ambiance.

Dined at El Nido for second time ever this week. Enjoyed it very much, as my guest grew up with the music of Los Panchos and also enjoyed the simple flavors and fresh tortillas. El Nido isn't my favorite, but, it fits in once in a while for a fun change.

Disqualifications include the word "fusion", combining styles of cuisine with a hyphen("Baja-Thai-Cuban"), hip-hop background music or overwhelming presence of Gringo customers.

My foto was retouched by friend Tom Gatch to bring out the mood of the sad ballad performance.

[Edited on 8-26-2012 by bajadock]

DavidE - 8-25-2012 at 05:54 PM

El Taco de Huitzilopotchli, Ensenada

El Pulpo, outside of Rio Ixtapa, Guerrero

El Milenium 9 miles north of San Marcos Guerrero

Restaurant Tulúc, San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas

Restaurant Guadalajara, Ciudad Insurgentes, B.C.S.

Restaurant Xcerét, Valladolíd, Quintana Roo

Kalypso - 8-25-2012 at 06:20 PM

Old school?

San Angel Inn...Mexico City

La Capilla...Zaachila, Oaxaca

La Gran Parroquia...Veracruz City...breakfast and coffee service

El Chololo...Birra, just south of the Guadalajara airport

Restaurant LU...Morelia

Enchiladas Placeras Don Emiliano...evening street vendor, Patzcuaro

Casa Bonilla...Coatepec, Veracruz...Acamayas (huge river prawns) Enchipotlada

Tlamanalli...Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca...awesome mole negro

Azucena Zapoteca...San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca

Zitacuaro, Michoacan...Diana Kennedy's kitchen

I've had so many amazing food experiences in Mexico, it's hard to just pick a few.

If you friend really likes Los Panchos (I do too), ask her/him if they've heard the 60s classic...Edie Gorme & Los Panchos. Ranks in my top 10 favorite album of all time.

[Edited on 8-26-2012 by Kalypso]

[Edited on 8-26-2012 by Kalypso]

bajajudy - 8-25-2012 at 06:29 PM

No music BUT
the Mercado Municipal here in San Jose gets my vote!
Only open for breakfast and lunch......closes at 5
As authentic as you can get:biggrin:

DavidE - 8-25-2012 at 06:46 PM

Diana Kennedy, the Mexican food goddess:saint:

How are the prices? Her books almost start out with instructions how to plant granos de elote for a milpa. ¡Que autentico!

KurtG - 8-25-2012 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
No music BUT
the Mercado Municipal here in San Jose gets my vote!
Only open for breakfast and lunch......closes at 5
As authentic as you can get:biggrin:

Glad to hear that is still the case. I ate there regularly back in the 90's and thought it was the best inexpensive food anywhere in Baja.

jbcoug - 8-25-2012 at 08:00 PM

Judy,

where is Mercado Munincipal?

John

Kalypso - 8-25-2012 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Diana Kennedy, the Mexican food goddess:saint:

How are the prices? Her books almost start out with instructions how to plant granos de elote for a milpa. ¡Que autentico!

She is tiny, dynamic, charming, fiesty and minces no words!

She purchased her property in the 70s and had to negotiate the water rights with the mayor of the town above her house, as her property has no natural water sources. It also had large boulders which she was told she could not remove...so she built around them. Her house is and has been for 30+ years, ecologically sound, sustainable and green.

This is what you see walking up her driveway

It really is an ecological preserve. Then you get to the entrance to her kitchen

Since her property has no water on it, she has a water collection system, along with several outdoor ovens and a grill

She also grows a great deal of what she eats. The soil in Michoacan is pretty good, it rains alot and they have nice warm growing days. Below are beans, corn and there probably squash plants in there as well, all of which she grows and most of which are heirloom varieties

She does grow her own corn which she nixtamalizes. Sometimes she sends it up the hill to the village to be ground on their mill. More likely, she grinds it herself...

She is also devoted to lard, which, of course, she renders herself

I did 3 1/2 days of cooking classes with her. She is a traditionalist and a purist. You did it her way or no way at all. A few of the things we made...

Guacamole con Frutas (typical of the state of Guanajuato and usually made this time of year when the fruit is in season and super ripe

Sopes for which we ground the corn. I think these were with chorizo

There are many different types of pozole and this one is traditionally served on Thursdays - and ONLY Thursdays - in marekts all over Guerrero

I am not a huge fan of huitlacoche

But this is probably one of the best things I've ever eaten...ever...huitlacoche, rajas, blue corn tortilla

This chorizo was stellar and I've replicated it pretty easily at home in San Diego...including letting it "cure" for 3 days by hanging it in my bath tub. This, however, we made in DKs kitchen

And you can't leave without making mole

I've cooked from her cookbooks for more than 30 years. I've had people tell me her recipes are intimidating. While I understand their argument, I've made so many of them, I know that they work and are truly reflective of intense research, scrupulous testing and preserve a traditional cuisine that is astonishing in it's depth and breadth

[Edited on 8-26-2012 by BajaNomad]

CP - 8-26-2012 at 09:57 AM

Kalypso,
Thank you for sharing that. I am re-inspired to cook Mexican food more often.

bent-rim - 8-26-2012 at 03:52 PM

Alfonsina's in 1972. Endless rice, beans and tortillas plus what ever the catch of the day was. I was a bright eyed 16 year old riding in a dune buggy with a group of my old man's friends on Triumph's and Goldstar's. The old man stacked and I got to ride the Bonneville back to San Felipe from Gonzaga.

woody with a view - 8-26-2012 at 04:11 PM

beans, squash and corn have been planted together since before Cortez could walk. it promotes a healthy garden as each consumes a different mineral or something like that.

BajaBlanca - 8-26-2012 at 04:16 PM

what a wonderful story behind DK kitchen and cooking. I also thank you for sharing !

and as for the best authentic cuisine: Joaquin's CACTUS right here in la bocana. He is the real deal and it is delicious.

there is another woman in town, named Renata, who will come to your home and prepare meals that are out of this world delicious. Her dad taught her and is the supreme chef, but he is not well these days. they used to own a restaurant in puerto penasco - rocky point.

Ateo - 8-26-2012 at 04:18 PM

I had some kick burro tacos al vapor in Guadalajara at a 7-11. :barf::barf::barf:

BajaBlanca - 8-26-2012 at 04:32 PM

Ateo ! you shoulda known better :no: