BajaNomad

Side trip Loreto to San Javier (Xavier)

scouse - 8-26-2012 at 11:56 AM

We stayed in the Oasis in Loreto and had time to take a look around. A great side trip out of Loreto is up the mountain to the West and to the Mission San Xavier (Javier). They were working on the road when we drove up it’s “Possibly” done by now. A really pleasant drive with a nice Chapel to take a look at on the way and some rock paintings at a roadside stop. Nice waterholes, or river depending on the time of year.

Turn west @ K.117. 7K south of Loreto, go 37K. To the mission.

New road, don’t know how far they’ve gone with it.

Roadside Chapel

Spotlight in the mountains

Rock paintings in a pretty roadside/riverside park in the palms.

The Mission San Javier (Xavier)

Pilgrims walk, supposed to be done on your knees, mine wouldn’t take it these days. “Some” people do it from the bottom of the mountain. Not recommended..J

[Edited on 8-26-2012 by scouse]

[Edited on 8-27-2012 by scouse]

TMW - 8-26-2012 at 03:17 PM

I haven't been to San Javier in several years, certainly not sence the new hwy, so I need to do it soon. It is a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures.

scouse - 8-26-2012 at 03:26 PM

Some great side trips along the Baja isn't there TW.

David K - 8-26-2012 at 03:26 PM

Excellent report! The jewel of the California missions should be seen, indeed.

BajaBlanca - 8-26-2012 at 04:23 PM

If I remember correctly, we ate a restaurant just to the right of the church....I was amazed at the flowers everywhere ! gorgeous gardens .... does anyone know if there is any place to sleep there ?

scouse - 8-26-2012 at 04:35 PM

Dunno! I'd be interested to find out, looks like some interesting trails to explore, if you had the time.

TMW - 8-27-2012 at 10:48 AM

I did a Google search and found this.

Hotels and Restaurants

Most visitors spend only a day in San Javier, but if you want to stay overnight, there are a couple of options. The family that lives in the farmhouse behind the church rents a very rustic cabin for US$40. Casa de Ana (tel. 613/135-0112, fax 613/135-0795, US$35), at the east end of the cobblestone road that leads to the church entrance, rents several palapa-roofed cabanas with private baths. For more information, contact Ana Gloria at Hotel Oasis (tel. 613/135-0112,

The Oasis hotel is in Loreto.

[Edited on 8-27-2012 by TW]

Loretana - 8-27-2012 at 11:51 AM

Blanca,

My friend and architect Chucho Cortes has a very cool cabin up in San Javier that is available for rent, you can view it here on the website for his "Posada del Cortes"

<<http://www.posadadelcortes.com/accommodations.html>>

That little restaurant you mentioned is still going strong, and she has wonderful goat cheese for you to try.

Marc - 8-31-2012 at 07:02 AM

New road is great. But it does take the "adventure" out of the trip.
I loved driving up and down the riverbed in my Tundra.

shari - 8-31-2012 at 08:00 AM

thanks again Scouse for a sweet report...my favorite this time is the spotlight photo...and great to have a list of accommodations up there because once you are there you want to stay the night to explore.

scouse - 8-31-2012 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
thanks again Scouse for a sweet report...my favorite this time is the spotlight photo...and great to have a list of accommodations up there because once you are there you want to stay the night to explore.
I'll drink to that!

Thing change don't they but it's nice to have those memories.

Marc - 8-31-2012 at 07:00 PM

My next trip i am going to overnight it. Thanks for the info.

David K - 8-31-2012 at 10:24 PM

Here is my Jan. '12 article on San Javier with the road mileage up, in BajaBound.com web page: http://www.bajabound.com/bajatravel/mission_san_francisco_ja...

scouse - 9-1-2012 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here is my Jan. '12 article on San Javier with the road mileage up, in BajaBound.com web page: http://www.bajabound.com/bajatravel/mission_san_francisco_ja...
Good article Dave, good info on the church.

bacquito - 9-2-2012 at 06:12 AM

Good report and thanks for the information.