BajaNomad

TECATE CROSSING NORTH/FISHING IN SAN QUINTIN

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-27-2012 at 02:57 PM

Hola,

i left jardines ( great hotel ) after four days in san quintin at 9:30 A.M. on friday and got to the tecate crossing at 3:32 P.M., about 20 cars in line and i was in the U.S. at 3:48 and on my way home to L.A. in a small suv with a 60 quart ice chest full of fish fillets and a 48 quart ice chest full of oysters and a very, very happy RAT !

i guess due to the line being so short, i only saw 3 hawkers selling various things.

hola redhillltown: day 1..fished on kelly's parker with his son george..great skipper..we were lucky to get bait from the hana paa (sp ) so we were able to start fishing right away. we got bit pretty quick with a white seabass. throughout the day until about 2:00, we got a total of five white seabass to about 30 pounds, three big barracuda and three sand bass and called it a day. GREAT DAY !!!

pictures were posted on bloodydecks probably on wednesday, august 22 by kelly.

day 2..made bait with sabiki's in the bay, quite a mix of bait and went to the 240 where they have been getting yellowtail for a few weeks. we got two that went about 30 pounds and two that went 5 to 7 pounds. we got rocked by about 5 big tails or broken off due to bad line. didn't take any pictures of the tails. TOUGH FISH !

we went rock fishing at the end of the day and got lots of various rockfish and went to a 400 foot deep spot as i wanted to fish for cowcod. didn't get any cows but, on our last drop, i did get about a 15 pound lingcod. headed in for the day.

when we got to the 240, george showed me the high spot..YOU COULD REACH OVER AND TOUCH IT !!!! DAMN !!!!

i got my fishing license over the internet and received it back in about 10 days from sending the paperwork and money order in.

around 6:00A.M., i got my fmm at the tijuana border for free as i was only in mexico for about four days. i asked for 7 days. good thing the fmm was free as the banks were closed, nobody home.

QUESTION: is immigration now collecting the money ? no need for the bank ?

another wonderful trip into baja !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Ateo - 8-27-2012 at 05:01 PM

Sounds like you had a great time!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-27-2012 at 05:36 PM

yes, had a fantastic time on a great boat with a great skipper.

excellent fishing and great weather, overcast both days with a bit of light drizzle but still t-shirt weather. small swells outside on the second day.

after fishing the second day, george, my young skipper, was kind enough to go to the oyster farms and buy me seven dozen oysters, five for me and two dozen for him and his family. YUM !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

David K - 8-27-2012 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola,

around 6:00A.M., i got my fmm at the tijuana border for free as i was only in mexico for about four days. i asked for 7 days. good thing the fmm was free as the banks were closed, nobody home.

QUESTION: is immigration now collecting the money ? no need for the bank ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

YES. At least that was the case for us in July. All the details are at the start of my trip report posted on the Baja Trip Reports Forum.

redhilltown - 8-28-2012 at 12:05 AM

Great report and congratulations!!!! A cooler full of WSB fillets, ling cod, and yellowtail....hmmmmmmmm.....you cannot POSSIBLY eat all of that by yourself now, can you???? :tumble::tumble:

We are going to make a Gonzaga trek in a few weeks but now may cross over and hit SQ on the way home if it keeps up like this...though I bet Captain Kelly and his son are booked solid for quite a while.

weebray - 8-28-2012 at 07:43 AM

Several years ago we were living in so cal during a major power outage. Our neighbor, an avid Baja fisherman, graciously brought us several large bags of fillets because his freezer was defrosting. Imagin our surprise when we defrosted this ????????. It was VERY old, yellow and not even good for bait. Wouldn't it be nice if fishermen could resist to temptation to "harvest" way more than they could ever possibly eat.

BornFisher - 8-28-2012 at 07:58 AM

Great timing on the WSB, congrats!!