BajaNomad

baja rig

Bajamatic - 8-29-2012 at 09:27 AM

I've been passing by an awesome baja truck every morning on my ride to work and parked next to it is a 4x4 Westy. Every moring I spend a little more time looking over the Westy and have become very interested in its offroad abilities. Is this a viable baja adventure vehicle? Anyone have one of these? I'm interested in the pros/cons of this little machine.....

Bajamatic - 8-29-2012 at 09:39 AM

here's the truck that lured me in...

willardguy - 8-29-2012 at 11:00 AM

I remember a few years ago there was a caravan of em at the rancho grande store, I seem to think maybe there are only 1500 of em ever made?? anyway a cool piece of history, how much are they asking for the syncro?

oops sorry I just noticed you never said it was for sale.

[Edited on 8-29-2012 by willardguy]

[Edited on 8-29-2012 by willardguy]

Bajamatic - 8-29-2012 at 01:12 PM

It's not for sale and they seem to be using it a lot on the weekends. I think my two biggest questions are can it handle the sand and silt and does it hold much stuff? It doesn't seem to have a lot of storage versus an alaskan or other camper set up. And it also kinda looks unsafe. I dunno. I'm just mind surfing the roads in Baja I guess..... Time to get back.

Skipjack Joe - 8-29-2012 at 01:34 PM

The best thing about a westphalia is how space is organized and utilized within. However, you will be more restricted in your offroad adventures than say a tacoma. I got my 2-wheel drive westy stuck all over baja (calamajue, abreojos salt flats, etc.).

Ken Cooke - 8-29-2012 at 02:35 PM

If your vehicle has the capability to reach Mision Santa Maria, and you can stay there comfortably, you have (in my opinion), a capable Baja 4x4.

woody with a view - 8-29-2012 at 02:54 PM

i prefer to go more than 60 mph downhill sometimes. i had a 68 bus that got into san carlos back in 89 no problem, but i'm glad to have a real truck now (think TUNDRA).....

Ken Cooke - 8-29-2012 at 03:01 PM

But, will a Tundra make the trip into Mision Santa Maria? I know that a stock Tacoma TRD can make it...

willardguy - 8-29-2012 at 04:15 PM

how much are vw syncros going for?

Udo - 8-29-2012 at 04:28 PM

Between $30K & 70K depending on shape.

Look at the website: http:gowesty.com

You WILL be shocked.

I had one that burned up in a house fire in 2010 and every year I owned it, the value grew by $3000.00.

willardguy - 8-29-2012 at 04:32 PM

well bajamatic, now you know the cons!:O

mtgoat666 - 8-29-2012 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
I've been passing by an awesome baja truck every morning on my ride to work and parked next to it is a 4x4 Westy. Every moring I spend a little more time looking over the Westy and have become very interested in its offroad abilities. Is this a viable baja adventure vehicle? Anyone have one of these? I'm interested in the pros/cons of this little machine.....

nice rigs, great for light duty traveling offroad but not meant for rock crawling. they have not been produced for a while, and are sort of cult car, so used sale cost is high, and age means they are a bit long in tooth (read: need periodic maintenance). buying a westy is to join a superior culture. go for it, it's all fun.

if you want reliable, buy a mass-produced soulless toyota. if you want to add some class and funk to your toyota (and stand out from the teaming masses), then tow a tear drop trailer behind your toyota
:lol::lol::lol:

monoloco - 8-29-2012 at 05:00 PM

There's a reason they called them "West Fail Ya's"

Curt63 - 8-29-2012 at 06:36 PM

@Ken I love that first pic in the post!

Drive Nacho Drive in Colombia

Ken Cooke - 8-29-2012 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

if you want reliable, buy a mass-produced soulless toyota. if you want to add some class and funk to your toyota (and stand out from the teaming masses), then tow a tear drop trailer behind your toyota
:lol::lol::lol:

Drive Nacho Drive getting pulled by our Baja Nomad friend Defrag4 through the Andes mountains of Northern Colombia.

That isn't very deep mud that the VW Syncro is stuck in. Its always better to travel in twos.

Ken Cooke - 8-29-2012 at 08:32 PM

From Drive Nacho Drive

For the record, a Volkswagen Vanagon transmission fits inside an Osprey Ceres 60 backpack.

David K - 8-30-2012 at 09:42 AM

One word: TOYOTA :light:

Last Month, 2,600 miles in Baja California and Baja California Sur, 0 mechanical problems, 0 stucks... 'Oh, what a feeling!'

Toyota

Russ - 10-25-2012 at 06:28 PM

wessongroup - 10-25-2012 at 06:55 PM

Thanks to all .. great pic's ... :):)

Now, that's funny!!

Ken Cooke - 10-25-2012 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

MMc - 10-25-2012 at 07:49 PM

Whatever floats your boat. In the 70's it was always take a 4X4 and never take a woman. I usually did the inverse. Got to most of the spots I wanted to, and had a better time them the guys with 4x4 did. I now drive a full size truck (4X4)cause I like to camp in comfort. The more space, the more stuff.

All this, which is better cracks me up. Been stuck and watched a local roll by in a B 210. Get what you can afford and what fills your needs. As long as your out there having fun, who cares.

I have yet to here anybody on this board not make it home because of a auto failure. Some were fixed and might have taken longer then planed, they all get home eventually.

It's getting harder to spell adventure with a capitol "A", something I miss.

Neal Johns - 10-28-2012 at 08:49 PM

Russ, I like it! :-) :-) :-)

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
In the 70's it was always take a 4X4 and never take a woman.

I always take the Mrs. AND The Jeep:yes:

desertcpl - 10-29-2012 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

funny :lol::lol::lol:

desertcpl - 10-29-2012 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
In the 70's it was always take a 4X4 and never take a woman.

I always take the Mrs. AND The Jeep:yes:

no kidding,