BajaNomad

Sights and smells

mooose29 - 8-29-2012 at 11:28 PM

So I was driving today in Encinitas, and a beat up old pickup truck pulled out in front of me. This initially really peeed me off as I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid hitting him. But as he accelerated and my car was hit by the exhaust of his car I smelled the unmistakable smell of Baja gas being burned in an old car and it instantly brought to mind traveling in Baja. I had a smile on my face for quite a while so thanks tom the guy that cut me off today.

Baja has thousands of great and some not so great smells but this was an unexpected surprise at an unexpected time.

paranewbi - 8-30-2012 at 04:33 AM

Get it every morning when In the predawn darkness I open my back door to let the cat out and see the lights of Playa TJ over the last few rooftops of the US side...carne asada on the grill of a taco stand mixed in with anything else...Baja!

Ken Bondy - 8-30-2012 at 07:05 AM

I used to love those sights and smells, particularly when they first hit me crossing the border at Tijuana southbound. I wrote this a few years ago in my "Watercolors" book :

"I do remember loving the cultural shock of crossing the border, the mostly friendly chaos of the Tijuana streets, the drive out Calle Segunda to Playas de Tijuana, the colors, the smells of the mesquite fires. It was amazing that everything could be that different by just passing a few feet over some imaginary line. It was an attraction for me that would last a lifetime."

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by Ken Bondy]

DENNIS - 8-30-2012 at 09:33 AM

I can remember like I'm now standing in the middle of it, the smell of diesel busses in the streets of downtown Mazatlán in the 60's. That has been a strong reminder of Mexico ever since.

durrelllrobert - 8-30-2012 at 11:01 AM

The fish packing plants at El Sauzal :o

sancho - 8-30-2012 at 11:16 AM

It is said the Olfactory, the sense of smell is
embedded in one's memory. Burning wood in Mex,
chirping birds, the sound of that trumpet music
I believe grade school kids march to, when I get
back from a time in Mex, always notice how quiet
US cars are

willardguy - 8-30-2012 at 11:37 AM

the scent of a mexican woman. sometimes it will be an older woman sometimes it will be a school age girl. a wonderful fresh soapy scent, I used to think it was rosa venus but sometimes too strong to be soap residue. whatever it is it always stops me in my tracks, any of you lady nomads know what this elixir might be?:?:

DENNIS - 8-30-2012 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
the scent of a mexican woman. sometimes it will be an older woman sometimes it will be a school age girl. a wonderful fresh soapy scent,

That's Fabuloso:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIrWGP8mewo

willardguy - 8-30-2012 at 01:37 PM

it smells good,it taste good......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 8-30-2012 at 01:44 PM

Then there was the "novaplume". A spiral of blue ozone assassins winding it's way out of the tailpipe and a dozen other unintended exhaust system outlets. Silver pump "Extra" outside of La Paz, usually meant 98% Nova, laced with 2% Extra. That's why the government went GREEN with Magna Sin, with logos, paint and dye in the fuel. A bottle of Chevron Techron added to the tank, kills off the Pemex odor like a wooden stake through the heart.

DENNIS

The comedores are still going strong on the 2nd floor of the gigantic mercado central in downtown Mazatlan. In 2003 I ate there for six months for three dollars a meal including drink.

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by DavidE]

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2012 at 03:13 PM

wish we had known that David when we were in Mazatlan - we did eat on the malecon, and it was good, it was no $3 meal and $3 sounds really great !

DENNIS - 8-30-2012 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
DENNIS

The comedores are still going strong on the 2nd floor of the gigantic mercado central in downtown Mazatlan. In 2003 I ate there for six months for three dollars a meal including drink.

Thanks, David. I've asked here before and could never get an answer, but what about the humonguous beer garden at the Pacifico brewery? Is it still there?