BajaNomad

NOISY SURF AT ASUNCIÓN

DavidE - 8-31-2012 at 09:29 AM

The surf from the hurricane has arrived. Posted for the benefit of those whom surf.

BajaGeoff - 8-31-2012 at 10:24 AM

Excellent. It's going to be a great weekend of surfing!

shari - 8-31-2012 at 10:46 AM

the well is building quickly...the cooperativas are pulling their pangas up on the beaches...Juan managed to get out fishing but getting back to shore may require a surfboard!!!:rolleyes:

Bob H - 8-31-2012 at 10:55 AM

Any photos? Love surf photos!!

shari - 8-31-2012 at 11:05 AM

it's too friggin hot to go outside....but I'll try bob!

Last night we filled our not yet tiled hot tub so we can dip in it and cool off from this heat...it did the trick last night as I slipped into the soft water in my birthday suit before going mimilolo in the tent...slept like a baby!

shari - 8-31-2012 at 12:24 PM

I took a little dip and snapped this at the blowhole...the surf is just starting to get big and it's low tide...nobody bathing at the blowhole right now! I'll take more later when it really cranks up.

David K - 8-31-2012 at 12:26 PM

That's beautiful Shari!

landyacht318 - 8-31-2012 at 02:05 PM

It should be noted that a good portion of the energy in the water is from a southern Hemisphere originating groundswell. The wave periods on this swell are likely about 18 seconds from 200 degrees down there, while Ileana's energy is probably arriving in the 12 second period range from a similar angle.

The S hemi swell will have long wide even lines that can 'wall up' for a great distance arrive in sets of 3 or so. The hurricane's swell will be a little more wobbly, with waves closer together, and more waves in the sets. Waves from both swells can occasionally combine in the surf zone and make for very splendid, powerful conditions.

If a buoy were at sea and measured an 18 second swell at 2 feet, the waves from that swell might break with a face height upto 5 feet, depending on local bathymetry. A 2 foot swell measured at 12 seconds would likely break with a face height at 2 feet.

Distinguishing between the 2 swells is not always easy, even for those who regularly play in the bounty.

BajaBlanca - 8-31-2012 at 05:04 PM

the waves here in la bocana are huge - easily 10 - 12 feet.

they are not good for surfing, but incredible to watch and hear

there are more than 3 waves to a set so I am guessing that these are the hurricane swells, not only more to a set but really close - one right after the other and really L O N G.