BajaNomad

Epic vid of fly rodding in the salt for Australian Queenfish

baitcast - 9-1-2012 at 09:48 AM

These guys have to be in the same family as the Cortez Bigjaw Leatherjack only a hold lot bigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefXU4rr72o&feature=g-vre...

Don't be misslead by the browns in the beginning.

How about that Igor!!!!

[Edited on 9-1-2012 by baitcast]

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2012 at 12:33 PM

Good to see you still posting on this board.

I first caught a queenfish like the one in the video at Christmas Island. Subsequently I caught what I thought was the same fish in baja, San Lucas Cove and Gonzaga Bay. But, as you remember, you correctly said it was a leatherjack. They look so much alike. The only difference is that I've never seen a Leatherjack go airborne like the one in the video.

I'll do some further research on their possible relationship.

baitcast - 9-1-2012 at 12:43 PM

They have to be related,the baja brand is just a whole lot smaller,Ive seen other film on those big dudes,they do look fun.
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2012 at 01:37 PM

Whistler,

I was gonna go back to the island this summer but the valley fever put a nix to that. I found some low budget do it yourself setups where you live with the villagers in their dwellings and eat communally. Then you rent your own truck each day and hit the flats on your own.

I don't know your finances but it seemed like a fun way to experience that place.

baitcast - 9-1-2012 at 06:33 PM

Not ready to hang it up yet my friend,not without a fight when the Grim Reaper comes for me I,ll be kicking and screaming all the way out the door:lol:
Rob

AMEN TO THAT WHISTER!!

captkw - 9-1-2012 at 08:12 PM

Cortez Bigjaw Leatherjack

Skipjack Joe - 9-2-2012 at 06:43 PM

Lots of fun on light tackle. Makes good ceviche tambien.

baja_leatherjack.jpg - 49kB

baitcast - 9-3-2012 at 07:11 AM

Igor did you or the boy ever get stuck by one of those dorsal spines? now add 10# to that fish and you have a Queenfish.
Rob
Eight years!! I don't believe that.

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by baitcast]

Skipjack Joe - 9-3-2012 at 10:26 AM

That's an interesting question.

I did get stuck once by a leatherjack but it couldn't be avoided. I knew where the spines were but it still managed to stick me by flopping. It wasn't deep.

However, about 15 years ago I was catching fish off abreojos that were about the size of a perch. Treating it like a perch I grabbed it fully with an open hand and it jabbed me right in the palm. I had never seen this type of fish before. It had small sharp spines right in front of the vent (anus). It went in deep and hurt for days. It looked like a pompano but may have been a leatherjack. There were many that day but I've never seen another one since.

Why have you been jabbed as well?

baitcast - 9-3-2012 at 12:02 PM

More than once:rolleyes:like I didn't know better,hurt like hell every time,we used to fry up those suckers but then we fryed up everything.They had something in the spines that stuck with you for a period of time,but I liked them but then I like most fish:lol:
Rob