BajaNomad

BAJA NOMAD FORUMS online 10 YEARS!

David K - 9-1-2012 at 10:31 AM

One month and one year ago:

On August 1, 2002, BajaNomad (#1) aka Doug kicked off this new forum. Doug had an earlier forum on Escapists.com (I think it was)... but got the new style forum up and running 10 years ago. I registered on August 30, 2002 (#10). Random registered people that month (#2-#9) never posted or only a couple times and never came back.

A whole bunch who are still here registered that day or the next... Lizard Lips, Jack Swords, Mexray, Skeet, and Paulina were among them. BajaBus is #11, but I haven't seen Max around?

Baja Nomad Forums grew in membership slowly the first year, but in late 2003, when Amigos de Baja (bajanet.com, the busiest Baja message board) suddenly went off line, there was a need to find a new home for the gang of Baja lovers! Doug welcomed the Baja Amigos to make Baja Nomad their new home.

THANK YOU DOUG for keeping BajaNomad.com on line and a great place to read/ share/ view Baja California! Happy TEN YEARS!

Bob H - 9-1-2012 at 10:42 AM

Wow, 10 years! I registered 8-19-2003 shortly after Amigos de Baja went silent.

Thanks a bunch Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sancho - 9-1-2012 at 10:55 AM

When Amigos went away, Bajanomad was there
as a replacement, as it turns out bigger and
better. Gives us Baja myopics an avenue,
gracias Doug

DENNIS - 9-1-2012 at 10:56 AM

Happy Birthday BajaNomad.

Here's a little ditty I penned and recorded just for the occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PhtyaL4Ig

shari - 9-1-2012 at 11:05 AM

muchas felicidades BajaNomad....mil gracias Doug for letting us all play in your sandbox....we have forged lifelong friendships here...have had a ton of laughs...helped folks and received help...bravo! VIVA BAJANOMADS!

fdt - 9-1-2012 at 12:23 PM

Gracias Señor Doug for keeping this forum alive! Salud!

ELINVESTIG8R - 9-1-2012 at 12:31 PM

Congratulation Doug and thank you for allowing me to be a member of Baja Nomads Woo Hoo!

Skeet/Loreto - 9-1-2012 at 12:41 PM

To Doug: It is a pleasure to have been a meber of this Great Board longer that David K!!!!
I appreciate being back and will do my best to control the Name Calling and use of Bad Words.
Skeet/Loreto

shari - 9-1-2012 at 12:43 PM

hey Skeeters....good for you!!!!

DENNIS - 9-1-2012 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
To Doug: It is a pleasure to have been a meber of this Great Board longer that David K!!!!
Skeet/Loreto

9/2/2003........Skeet

8/30/2002.........DK

:lol::lol:....Welcome back, Skeeter.

acadist - 9-1-2012 at 01:30 PM

love it!

acadist - 9-1-2012 at 01:32 PM

btw, I am 4141, I love that number

Bob H - 9-1-2012 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
btw, I am 4141, I love that number

Wow, I went back and checked on myself. I am #221
Unreal !!

Edit: And, David K is #10

[Edited on 9-1-2012 by Bob H]

QUETZALCOATL - 9-1-2012 at 02:16 PM

I think im like #1million in pesos but this is the best site -thx

Iflyfish - 9-1-2012 at 02:25 PM

Nice little tune there Dennis, kind of catchy.

Iflyfish

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Happy Birthday BajaNomad.

Here's a little ditty I penned and recorded just for the occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PhtyaL4Ig

Iflyfish - 9-1-2012 at 02:31 PM

All this earnest reminiscing put me in mind of how over the years so many threads on Nomads have gone the way of this lovely little celebratory tribute. Saludos Amigos e Amigas! Muchas Gracias Doug. For those who are not literate in Spanish, I here pay homage to my friends, both male and female and give a send a heartfelt Thank You to Doug, who started this mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYHYxTYxS0&feature=relat...

Iflyfishmutteringbastardizedspanishallovertheplace

Bob H - 9-1-2012 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
All this earnest reminiscing put me in mind of how over the years so many threads on Nomads have gone the way of this lovely little celebratory tribute. Saludos Amigos e Amigas! Muchas Gracias Doug. For those who are not literate in Spanish, I here pay homage to my friends, both male and female and give a send a heartfelt Thank You to Doug, who started this mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYHYxTYxS0&feature=relat...

Iflyfishmutteringbastardizedspanishallovertheplace

CLASSIC 3-Stooges ! Loved it....

Paulina - 9-1-2012 at 02:54 PM

I had to look.

I'm number 21.

Ahhhh, to be 21 again!

Thanks Doug!

P>*)))>{

desertcpl - 9-1-2012 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
I appreciate being back and will do my best to control the Name Calling and use of Bad Words.
Skeet/Loreto

who is this again??? no name calling and use of bad words

Jack Swords - 9-1-2012 at 03:04 PM

Thanks Doug for running this site that provides such current information on Baja. With members in and about Baja there is little that happens in Baja that escapes our attention. And David, appreciate your bringing this to our attention.

DENNIS - 9-1-2012 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Nice little tune there Dennis, kind of catchy.

Iflyfish

Thanks, Rick. Did I mention I wrote it?

Osprey - 9-1-2012 at 03:46 PM

Thanks Doug for not giving up on me while I tried out all my story ideas on the members until after a lot of years of sloppy trial and error I'm getting closer to making acceptable little tales.

Sometimes we felt like red headed step children way out here in the hinterlands of Baja Sur, outnumbered might be the word but we're gaining new neighbors down south here every day. You didn't quit and neither will we.

bajadock - 9-1-2012 at 06:06 PM

Cheers and thanks to Nomads for being the concierges of Baja. Keep the info flowing.

desertcpl - 9-1-2012 at 06:11 PM

Thanks Doug

I have had a great time here, you have done a great job

Ken/Jane

Marc - 9-1-2012 at 06:40 PM

Time flies when you're having fun!

fdt - 9-1-2012 at 06:52 PM

I had to look also :saint:

desertcpl - 9-1-2012 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

so where and how do you look ??

Looking like 5 up on me

thebajarunner - 9-1-2012 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

357 and also thanking Doug for a great ride

Tons of great info
New friends
Entertainment

And the price is right

jeans - 9-1-2012 at 07:34 PM

I signed on 9-16-2002. My first post about Tajo Canyon got 1 response.....from Neal Johns!!

No doubt trolling the Baja Boards looking to add to his harem of WIW (Wives in Waiting) :lol:

Iflyfish - 9-1-2012 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Skeet/Loreto

Good on you amigo!! Good on you!

The first one's on me!

Iflyfish

fdt - 9-1-2012 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

You go to your control panel and look at your UID

Happy 'B' Day or there abouts

Baja Bernie - 9-2-2012 at 07:00 AM

I don't know what number I am but I do know that for years I have called so many of you friends...And this applies most happily to Doug who made me the one and only "Normal Nomad" way back when.

I don't get on much since I re-married...but I do know that all of you folks are the ones who made me coin this saying...

"Baja is about People helping People."

Thank you all for so many great memories.

Bob H - 9-2-2012 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
I don't know what number I am but I do know that for years I have called so many of you friends...And this applies most happily to Doug who made me the one and only "Normal Nomad" way back when.

I don't get on much since I re-married...but I do know that all of you folks are the ones who made me coin this saying...

"Baja is about People helping People."

Thank you all for so many great memories.

Bernie, you are #299

Bob H - 9-2-2012 at 07:21 AM

desertcpl you are #8327

The Sculpin - 9-2-2012 at 07:26 AM

Thanks Doug for everything you have done, everything you do, and everything you will do!!

(did I miss anything?)

The Sculpin (#24)

desertcpl - 9-2-2012 at 07:30 AM

# 8327

boy I have along way to go,,,

wilderone - 9-2-2012 at 08:36 AM

We shoulda had a big party for this! Thanks Doug - I can't tell you the number of hours I spent on this site at work, which kept me from being bored to death. Loads of information I've printed and tucked into my Baja Almanacs for future use. You could write a book - similar to Baja Outpost! Some of the photos alone would be worthy of a book.
Abrazos!

willardguy - 9-2-2012 at 09:01 AM

okay, how does this work? of the 10 first founding members, 7 of the 10 show zero posts, and two of them started out banned! :light:

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2012 at 09:17 AM

10 years is a great achievement ! Congrats !

I am number 8350, boy do I feel old now LOL

DENNIS - 9-2-2012 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
okay, how does this work? of the 10 first founding members, 7 of the 10 show zero posts, and two of them started out banned! :light:

You are 13129. I can't access your "CONTROL PANEL"......but I looked it up on the alphabetical list of members. It went fast in reverse....Z to A....so to speak.

Bob H - 9-2-2012 at 09:44 AM

The newest member, Jina1 is #54,650

Wow

David K - 9-2-2012 at 09:52 AM

Quote:

I asked Doug about this years ago... and I believe he told me whenever new message boards (forums) pop up, some people (or PCs) just automatically hitch up... perhaps for spamming purposes? Ones that were obvious spammers got banned. others just never posted. One Nomad ahead of me (from Austria) posted two questions and never came back.

So, of the Nomads joining after Doug started this forum, I am the oldest at #10... but many joined the next couple of days. Skeet joined just after me, but that is not the same user name Skeet uses now... If you look it is is full name. I think Skeet lost his password, so he re-registered as Skeet/Loreto much later.

Many Nomads have dropped off and don't post here anymore and some have passed away, and we miss both a lot!

Anyway, a great forum for Baja lovers and the only distasteful thing (IMO) is that people become offensive to others to bully folks away or people let themselves get bullied away. I also don't care for Nomad being used by certain business people who try and strong arm others away to get their property by posting lies and insults about them here. That is just an ugly use of this forum...

But, one must take some of the bad to have the good...

So, on Baja Nomad we have the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-2-2012 by David K]

Loretana - 9-2-2012 at 10:15 AM

Mil gracias, Doug!! Your graciousness and hard work are very much appreciated. :yes:

Loretana #2382 :dudette:

jeans - 9-2-2012 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So, on Baja Nomad we have the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY!

Seriously?????? Ukeleles?

David K - 9-2-2012 at 10:48 AM

Did you listen to the whole song...? It is fantastic.

willardguy - 9-2-2012 at 11:00 AM

it could always be worse!

jeans - 9-2-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did you listen to the whole song...? It is fantastic.
Yes, I listened to the whole thing and they are obviously excellent musicians....but such a serious piece is diminished by the use of unconventional instruments as ukeleles, as witnessed by the musician who couldn't keep a straight face. It must have been a concert of odd musical/instrument pairings. :lol:

jeans - 9-2-2012 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
it could always be worse!

Dios mio.

Sallysouth - 9-2-2012 at 11:18 AM

Wow! Ten years! Thanks Doug for all you do.This board has been a Godsend for me over this past year especially.There are some truely wonderful, caring people on this board.I was # 32 when I first registered as Msal.Make that #52.I am now #451.

[Edited on 9-2-2012 by Sallysouth]

David K - 9-2-2012 at 11:19 AM

Nothing wrong with having fun... I saw it more as serious musicians doing a comical song, and keeping a straight face through the entire piece is pretty much impossible... thus great fun!

nbacc - 9-2-2012 at 12:50 PM

Thank you Doug. Happy birthday Baja Nomad!!! nancy

BajaGringo - 9-2-2012 at 06:51 PM

Wow - 10 years! Congratulations Doug and thanks so much for the forum. Cristina and I are forever indebted to the wonderful people here for all the support given to us...

Ken Cooke - 9-3-2012 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

I registered in September 2003 under 'Baja Ken'. After forgetting my log-on, password, etc. Doug helped me by re-registering me. This is a great forum. I literally check it daily - next to Facebook. I love this site!:bounce:

Ken- you told me last month you kicked the "Facebook" habit

thebajarunner - 9-3-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

I registered in September 2003 under 'Baja Ken'. After forgetting my log-on, password, etc. Doug helped me by re-registering me. This is a great forum. I literally check it daily - next to Facebook. I love this site!:bounce:

Don't tell me you went back!!
That site is worse than heroin for some folks,
glad I never injected (or inhaled)

BajaNomad - 9-5-2012 at 10:29 PM

Thank you all for such kind words. It is the participants here however that create the community that it is. I just try to keep it all functioning, neutralize the spambots, and act as referee sometimes as best I can. Oh yeah, and post some trip reports now and then.

;D

Glad so many others find information about the peninsula as interesting as I do.

Thank you to all of you who have shared information and pics over the years - and all else that so many of you do to assist others here as much as you're able. I applaud all of you for what you give to share and support others, and am grateful for the opportunity to help facilitate a place where we can connect with one-another.

It'll be interesting to see what's ahead of us over the next 10 years in how we connect over the Internet, as this medium evolves.

To all Nomad members, as well as those extended Nomads... you know, our friends and family... wishing you all safe and joyfully memorable travels.

Just remember to post a trip report! :lol:

Regards,
-
Doug Means

Bajalover - 9-6-2012 at 08:30 AM

Thanks Doug for the best Baja forum. It's a pleasure being a part of the group. OH - I'm number 3182. Wow.

pappy - 9-6-2012 at 11:40 AM

i was one who came over after amigos shut down. made some good friends here for sure. thank you doug for creaating this site!

DanO - 9-6-2012 at 01:29 PM

#250, Amigos refugee. Thanks, Doug.

BajaGeoff - 9-11-2012 at 11:35 AM

Muchisimas Gracias Doug!

I became member #1021 back in January of 2006...

¡Viva Baja and Viva Baja Nomad!

Mexitron - 9-11-2012 at 12:34 PM

Congrats and thanks for the 10 years Doug! #392----wasn't too long after I joined that David K set me up with Jack Swords for the Mission San Pedro Martir hike---thanks again David!

mcfez - 9-11-2012 at 01:26 PM

Congrats 2 u Doug for being here for so long........and for supplying us Baja diehards with a wonderful Baja forum!

After being here for 8 years......I am still waiting for our membership cards and Nomad uniforms. What gives?

David K - 9-11-2012 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Congrats 2 u Doug for being here for so long........and for supplying us Baja diehards with a wonderful Baja forum!

After being here for 8 years......I am still waiting for our membership cards and Nomad uniforms. What gives?

Here you go Deno: http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

No uniform, but the cards you print on your machine.

David K - 9-11-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Congrats and thanks for the 10 years Doug! #392----wasn't too long after I joined that David K set me up with Jack Swords for the Mission San Pedro Martir hike---thanks again David!

My only regret is I didn't join you guys... but at least I met you the day after you came off the mountain! We all met BajaLou that day, too... at the entrance to Parral Canyon, April of 2004.

Neal Johns - 9-11-2012 at 07:00 PM

Thanks, Doug!
Neal Johns #65

I have two Amigos de Baja tee shirts and two Baja Nomad tees!

mulegemichael - 9-11-2012 at 07:09 PM

my bride tells me we started in 2007....wasn't that last week????... i mean really?...thanks, doug, for putting up with all this crap, and thanks amigos for creating it all...where would we be if we didn't have nomads????...really?..