BajaNomad

Gonzaga Grouper live vs jig?

dizzyspots - 9-2-2012 at 09:46 AM

So..on our next trip in Oct...would like to target grouper
Preferences?

Live: Dropper or carolina( sliding sinker)

Jig: Krocs vs Lead head scampi or feather

Any other tips??

Thanks in advance

Mike

willardguy - 9-2-2012 at 10:04 AM

hey mike, im a firm believer that the best jig in your box is the one you believe in. both my groupers this year fell for a kroc. JMHO

KROCKS ROCK !!

captkw - 9-2-2012 at 10:08 AM

HOW BIG WAS THAT ???

[Edited on 9-2-2012 by captkw]

willardguy - 9-2-2012 at 10:12 AM

115# got pretty crowded in the inflatable with two old fat guys and this fish!

desertcpl - 9-2-2012 at 10:46 AM

nice

dizzyspots - 9-2-2012 at 11:57 AM

WOW! Inside Outside any other pointers?

baitcast - 9-2-2012 at 12:32 PM

Damn a little krock strikes again:lol:I was always a fan of a half of a sierra except way back the northern gulf was full of shark,they were everywhere,today it might be even better,just a thought.
Rob

KROCKS=FISH CANDY

captkw - 9-2-2012 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
115# got pretty crowded in the inflatable with two old fat guys and this fish!
That would be a great photo tho !!

baitcast - 9-3-2012 at 07:04 AM

One things for sure Willardguy knows where a grouper hole or a rock pile is,did you hold him on your lap?

I know one thing his place is right next to the best Corvina spot around Gonzaga.Rob

Pescador - 9-3-2012 at 07:30 AM

The local fishermen always prefer live bait over artificials. The fish need to be in a pretty aggresive mode for jig strikes. I will change the distance of the leader to the hook depending on how aggressive the fish are. If they want a little chase, then a long leader allows the bait to swim more freely and if they are a little lethargic, then a short leader will do better.
When I am in an area that is holding larger fish, I do not use a swivel and numerous knots because everytime you tie another knot, you have a potential for breakage. So, I use an egg sinker in the appropriate size (2 oz up to 21 oz.) and then use a toothpick to fill the hole and keep the line from sliding up or down. I always use circle hooks and prefer a ringed hook with the bait hooked just inside the mouth.
With Leopard grouper as well as most smaller grouper, they generally will attack the bait at the tail end, so if you start bringing up scaped and beaten bait, then I go to a stinger hook. I put a hook on the line and then tie a second hook to the end of the line with my normal knot, (Double San Diego Jam Knot) and then the nose hook is rubber banded to the line so that it will slide up and down the line but keeps a bait swimming very normally. The sliding hook gets the nose of the bait and the end hook gets hooked lightly towards the tail. The tail hook gets most of the action.

watizname - 9-3-2012 at 09:53 AM

Nice tips Pescador. Thanks. I'll file those away for use later. ;D