BajaNomad

Border Week: Ambulante Border Series in San Diego and Tijuana

Cisco - 9-2-2012 at 07:04 PM

The Ambulante Border Series brings thought-provoking documentaries together with prominent speakers to the San Diego-Tijuana border this week with the aim of generating discussion on sensitive bilateral topics: child migration, gun smuggling and freedom of expression. Among the expected participants is the Mexican actor Diego Luna, co-founder of Ambulante, A.C, a non-profit Mexican group that promotes documentary films.

The films include “Tiroteo/Gun Fight” directed by two-time Oscar winner Barbara Kopple, which looks at the impact of guns in America, and is being shown at 4 p.m. Thursday at the Tijuana Cultural Center (Cecut) and at 4 p.m. Friday in San Diego at the Institute of the Americas. Following both screenings, Luna will participate in a panel discussion moderated by Joy Olson of the Washington Office on Latin America.

Other documentaries include: Natalia Almada’s “Al Otro Lado” (The Other Side); Rebecca Cammisa’s “¿Cual es el Camino a Casa?” (Which Way Home); Bernardo Ruiz’s “Reportero”; Article 19’s “Silencio Forzado” (Forced Silence); David Pablo’s “Una Frontera, Todas las fronteras,” (One Border, All Borders); Fernando Melgar’s “Vol Spécial” (Special Flight).

Thursday through Sunday at various locations. For a full schedule of documentaries and panels, click here. Free.

Other notable events from Sept. 3 to Sept. 9 on the San Diego-Baja California border include:

Tuesday: The Committee on Binational Regional Opportunities of the San Diego Association of Governments meets at 3 p.m. in SANDAG’s 7th floor conference room in downtown San Diego at 401 B Street, Suite 800. Includes a presentation of 2011 border crossing and trade statistics. For a full schedule, click here.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: Festiarte, the art festival held each year in Playas de Tijuana’s Parque Mexico. The three-day event includes art and crafts exhibits, performances on six stages, a children’s area, and local food and wine.

Saturday: Fiesta Mexicana, Mexican songs performed by tenor Marco Antonio Labastida with Jorge Villalobos on the piano. At 5 p.m. at the Centro Historico y Cultural Calafia, south of downtown Rosarito Beach on km 35.5 of the free road to Ensenada. Cost is 200 pesos (about $15).

Saturday: Madame Ur y Sus Hombres perform at the Centra Estatal de las Artes (CEART) in Mexicali. At 8 p.m. Tickets are 100 pesos (about $7.50) Led by Tijuana chanteuse Azzul Monraz, the group blends a variety of styles, including jazz, blues and tango.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/02/border-week-ambul...

I wish I could attend this event

Ken Cooke - 9-3-2012 at 03:28 PM

The closest Netflix comes to 'Tiroteo/Gun Fight' is this 1961 Western film.:rolleyes:

Like I said, I wish I could attend this amazing event.