BajaNomad

Ileana mission

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:30 PM

She started so full of promise, but being so close to the coast she proved to be an amazingly tough girl. Adding to her allure was a solid swell right behind her, potentially the summers' best.
She shredded up our usual haunts and sent many a warrior grumbling and packing for home.
The labor day weekend only made things worse as that "one place" was going to look like a walmart parking lot on black friday (whatever that is).
But we were in the mood for a fight and were not going to give up that easily. With enough deposits at Pemex, we were going after this biatch...

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:32 PM

she started with a major tease at our local standby, but within 60 minutes this place looked like victory at sea...

[Edited on 9-4-2012 by BFS]

[Edited on 9-4-2012 by BFS]

DSC_3431.JPG - 48kB

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:37 PM

Heading further out it seemed like she really had it out for us. Throwing hurdles around every bend we almost caved in...

DSC_3434.JPG - 47kB

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:40 PM

Almost there, and yet again thwarted. This time even the trailers were packing it in for the night as the skies were opening up all around us and water was flowing in every direction.

DSC_3438.JPG - 48kB

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:45 PM

But our trusty steed the "Toondra" was the hero and she got us through, over, and in this last case, around every bump in the road. We actually headed up stream and and pushed our way through while the masses bedded down in the cars for the night. You Toyota lovers may rejoice.

DSC_3507.JPG - 47kB

BFS - 9-4-2012 at 12:48 PM

After a mighty battle, Ileana giving up the goods...A+ day in Baja...

DSC_3483.JPG - 47kB

TMW - 9-4-2012 at 01:17 PM

Be careful out there. Thanks for the report, wish I was there.

Curt63 - 9-4-2012 at 04:18 PM

Great report. Glad you scored. My Toondra has been bulletproof too.

Toondra's Olas

El Vergel - 9-4-2012 at 05:17 PM

Great Report! Thanks for the share.

woody with a view - 9-4-2012 at 05:37 PM

My Toondra is badass as well! in fact, that one looks just like mine! BTW, ours wasn't as fun as your trip but i did get the full-on-high-speed-rail-digging-turn-of-the-summer Saturday when i surfed til dark. I'll post up some pics over the weekend as my connection at SCI is worse than dial up.

oladulce - 9-4-2012 at 05:52 PM

You persevered - and were rewarded!
I love happy endings.

scouse - 9-4-2012 at 06:53 PM

Excellent report of an excellent trip. Well worth the work I'd say...:)

Ateo - 9-4-2012 at 07:02 PM

Way to stay tough in yer Toondra.

That right looks perfect. Thanks for posting.

Curt63 - 9-4-2012 at 07:40 PM

That left looks as fast as a rabbit...

Sunman - 9-4-2012 at 08:33 PM

Perseverance indeed...nice Toondra/Kestrel combo.

BornFisher - 9-4-2012 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
That left looks as fast as a rabbit...

wink, wink, ;) .. Nice score, guess you got out OK!!

oladulce - 9-5-2012 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I don't get it.... rabbit.....
Man that looks fun.... I can't wait to be surfing up and down the Nayarit coast day after day soon!
Inspiring report.

Retirement is a lovely thing soulpatch. You can take extra little chances like BFS' trip and not have to worry what your alibi will be (this time) when you have to call in to work (again) because you got stuck between flooded arroyos. Any stress just melts away...

BFS - 9-5-2012 at 10:43 AM

I won't even get into the return journey; it was a doozy (did you know that there is a river in La Paz that runs parallel to the highway near El Centenario? Neither did I!), and yeah, I still work and had to call in "sick" on monday (thank dios for cel phones) as the trip took us waayyyy further than expected. And in case you are wondering, Sharis' neighborhood is HOLDING!!!!!

pappy - 9-5-2012 at 01:02 PM

had a similar experience years ago. stopped for fuel in GN, started getting some rain. talk of a chubasco getting near.it was around 10pm. we decided to go forth-a little rain can't hurt anything. ha!by 1:30am we were stuck, dead center as the hurricane hit kand in the zone we were at. total mess. after camping outa couple days on what piece of unflooded road we could find, things began to calm and clear up, water/flood levels dropping just enough that we were able to slowly cross to other side. made it to the beach. nobody around except locals. surf was amzing!

Petey - 9-16-2012 at 09:34 AM

Thought you were going to get on a plane to get where you were going.

Marc - 9-16-2012 at 12:00 PM

Can't beat 'em! (Mainland Mexico somewhere north of Los Moches)

[Edited on 9-16-2012 by Marc]

[Edited on 9-16-2012 by Marc]