BajaNomad

Rain, rain, and more rain

Pescador - 9-5-2012 at 02:47 PM

Some years the desert around Santa Rosalia may get little or no rain, but this year has been one of the wettest years I can remember. No hurricanes yet, but the rain has been constant and coming almost every afternoon. The desert is a green as I have ever seen it, butterflies are so thick that you have to stop sometimes and clean your windshield, dragon flies are eating most of the mosquitos, and the grass is so high along the road that they have started cutting it. The Cardon Cactus are a swollen and fat as I have ever seen them and there are blooms and flowers on plants that I have never seen bloom before.

Fat Cardon Cactus

South of Santa Rosalia

Desert Bloom

Mountains between Mulege and Santa Rosalia

[Edited on 9-5-2012 by Pescador]

jbcoug - 9-5-2012 at 02:58 PM

Better watch it, if that cactus explodes, sombody is going to get hurt!

John

David K - 9-5-2012 at 03:44 PM

... and just a couple weeks ago (when we were in Sur), it was so dry!

willyAirstream - 9-5-2012 at 03:54 PM

Yeah, it is raining thousands of yellow butterflies in town. They are everywhere!
There was 6 inches of mud in town on most roads, cleaned up by now as there was a large clean up crew. And of course the culvert bridge was washed again. Green green green here.

Osprey - 9-6-2012 at 07:18 AM

Don Jorge, we here at the cape missed out on that Sonoran stuff. My books show the southern verge of the Sonoran is right at La Paz and my Audubon book on deserts calls us a transitional zone.

MICK - 9-6-2012 at 07:54 AM

It's also been raining here in norte every afternoon yesterday we had a big cell go thru and drop what must have been an inch of rain. At least it cools it down
Mick

DavidE - 9-6-2012 at 08:03 AM

What a sucker I am...

There's been a scraggly, emaciated looking chipmunk scrambling around my garden eating cantaloupe flowers, and biting into (even green) tomatoes, scrounging for food. So I bought one of those tiny repackaged dog food bags at the supermercado in the hopes that this will be better for her (or him) as all of the chipmunk websites seem to say they love dog food, especially the high protein, high fat variety that I got. I've been tossing a bit under the car every evening and in the morning it's gone. Hope they don't celebrate by making more chipmunks. I just can't stand to see animals (or humans) go hungry.

Osprey - 9-6-2012 at 04:29 PM

No, your map says it all. We are squashed between the SOC and the sometimes forest. Sometimes when I'm out on run, over imbibing at some local bar I call myself "Thornscrub" just to honor my whereabouts. Visitors from Iowa and such think that's rustic.

Photos Verdes

tortuga - 9-7-2012 at 09:34 AM

Senoir Pescador,
Thanks for the photos. Always good to SEE what is going on
Saludos, Tortuga

Bajatripper - 9-7-2012 at 11:25 AM

My wife and I just got in yesterday from a trip down the peninsula, and boy, have things turned beautiful.

While we were eating dinner at one of the truck stops at Rosarito (below Punta Prieta), we heard the arroyo rumble to life as a flash flood made its way down it, blocking the highway a quarter of a mile down the road. A lady living next to the arroyo said three cars were lucky to get through just ahead of the wall of water.

As we'd intended on camping a few miles ahead anyway, the inconvenience of the blocked highway didn't really matter at the moment, we headed into the nearby hills and camped for the evening. The next morning, at around 7am we arrived back at the arroyo just as pickups and SUVs began to cross, we got right through. The process was repeated a few minutes later at another arroyo.

Other than that, it was smooth sailing all the way (other than the mess all those butterflies made on the windshield and the front of the truck. I'll be scrapping them off the radiator today).

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by Bajatripper]