BajaNomad

Need Medevac Help

Bill Collector - 9-8-2012 at 06:22 PM

We have a friend in a hospital in San Jose del Cabo . She's been there since August 14th, we need to get her Medevac out if here. They have NO medevac insurance, nor much money.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Ensenada- this is the female you helped me with. We need her out of here, do you have any suggestions.

The hospital bill is up to $150,000 and rising.

bajacalifornian - 9-8-2012 at 06:31 PM

Go to Fidi La PAZ

Bill Collector - 9-8-2012 at 06:43 PM

They can't take her, thats a private hospital. She needs long term care, she had a stroke fell down and cracked her skull. She's paralyzed on the left side and they aren't sure of the brain damage. There isn't any long term care in Mexico. She need out of here ASAP.

bajaguy - 9-8-2012 at 06:46 PM

Contact the US Consulate

Bill Collector - 9-8-2012 at 06:59 PM

US Consulte was contacted here in San Jose. They went over to Amerimed saw her and said she's getting care they can't do anything about medevac. US Consulte takes care of drunks in jail we have found out.

AndyP - 9-8-2012 at 08:20 PM

This won't help the OP's friend, but many people who read this should look into joining DAN- Divers Alert Network. It's a nonprofit with a great reputation among divers for a lot of reasons, but non-divers can join too. The main benefit to membership is $100,000 of evacuation insurance, available any time you're 50 miles from home, worldwide. The incident/illness does not have to be water related. Membership is $35 a year, $55 for families. For travelers and adventurers I really think this might be the best few dollars you could spend each year.

Evacuation is to the nearest suitable hospital, so this won't necessarily get you back to the States from Baja. But there are a lot of remote areas out there that would cost a hell of a lot to be helicoptered out of if things go wrong. Worth thinking about.

Keri - 9-8-2012 at 08:40 PM

I'd call Celia Diaz at Binational Emmergency (BEMCC)
http://www.binationalemergency.org/
Celia Diaz She can lead you in the right direction. search Celia Diaz here on the board. I'm sure she couldd help in some way,k

CortezBlue - 9-8-2012 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyP
This won't help the OP's friend, but many people who read this should look into joining DAN- Divers Alert Network. It's a nonprofit with a great reputation among divers for a lot of reasons, but non-divers can join too. The main benefit to membership is $100,000 of evacuation insurance, available any time you're 50 miles from home, worldwide. The incident/illness does not have to be water related. Membership is $35 a year, $55 for families. For travelers and adventurers I really think this might be the best few dollars you could spend each year.

Thanks for the info on DAN, but after looking at the web page, the 34 or 55 dollar program does not include the travel medical evacuation insurance. I received a quote and it is about 240 per year for family, which isn't bad.

Evacuation is to the nearest suitable hospital, so this won't necessarily get you back to the States from Baja. But there are a lot of remote areas out there that would cost a hell of a lot to be helicoptered out of if things go wrong. Worth thinking about.

AndyP - 9-9-2012 at 08:20 AM

cortezblue-

You misread something, the Evac insurance most definitely comes with the regular membership:

DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/individual/

I read someone's review about a spine injury while trekking in rural Nepal. DAN helicoptered him out to Kathmandu, and then on to Delhi, for no out of pocket cost. Good stuff.

Natalie Ann - 9-9-2012 at 08:39 AM

I agree with Keri - Celia Diaz is the one to call for help with this.

You might also try contacting bajabushpilots.com.
They may have a member who could offer assistance.

nena

SPOT

bajaguy - 9-9-2012 at 08:46 AM

I always travel with SPOT and have their SAR and Evac (to the US) insurance

Mula - 9-9-2012 at 09:11 AM

If you get her medivaced out of Baja and Mexico,
where is she going?
to Family?

Not much money?
Have a plan for where to and what?

Be horrible to get somewhere and still have no place to go.

Bill Collector - 9-9-2012 at 09:32 AM

They have a hospital set up in Tuscan AZ. Her husband will fly out with her, he's got Alzeimer and doesn't need to be here alone. She's still in a coma, needs good medical

DENNIS - 9-9-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Be horrible to get somewhere and still have no place to go.

It's a dire emergency. No hospital in the US can refuse her. I like to think they wouldn't anyway.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2012 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
They have a hospital set up in Tuscan AZ. Her husband will fly out with her, he's got Alzeimer and doesn't need to be here alone. She's still in a coma, needs good medical

several mex air charter outfits (in cabo or GN) you can contact -- i am sure they can ship her out on one of their cessna caravans. ain't free, so yous gots to pay. you may have to hire nurse to go with patient on trip. or call the contact mentioned above ir you want someone to handle start to finish.

none of this is free, so be prepared to spend patient's or your own money to provide transport.

good reminder that if you live (or travel) abroad you should have transport insurance capable of getting you to the med care you desire. also, good to have will, living will, trust, etc., specifying who gets med and financial power of atty.

BajaBlanca - 9-9-2012 at 10:03 AM

what a dire situation indeed. I sure hope a good solution comes about. And the husband with Alzheimers ?? Holy moly.

Mula - 9-9-2012 at 11:12 AM

Did BC not say in the first post that money is very short and no insurance?

Hello. . . .

Bill Collector - 9-9-2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks Mula,

. If they had medical insurance, transport insurance then they wouldn't be in this fix. She's 71 he's 82. It sure makes us all think about about when it's time to leave Baja.
Barb

DENNIS - 9-9-2012 at 11:41 AM

Quote:

It sure makes us all think about about when it's time to leave Baja.
Barb

Especially when you live in the south.

toneart - 9-9-2012 at 11:56 AM

Celia Diaz does have connections and possibly suggestions, but ultimately none of it is free without insurance.

BillCollector: Is there a possibility that maybe someone (Nomad?) with an RV or trailer could drive the two of them to Arizona? Perhaps you could hire a nurse (or maybe a nurse/volunteer) to ride along.

Bill Collector - 9-9-2012 at 12:02 PM

She's on oxygen, in a coma, paralyzed on one side..we have thought of an ambulance but was told we'd need 2 drivers, 2 paramedics. Cost around $10,000 us dollars.

Not sure where to contact ambulance services.

Dennis, your right living this far down Baja. It's been 16 years for us and now we are rethinking about how much longer.

DENNIS - 9-9-2012 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Dennis, your right living this far down Baja. It's been 16 years for us and now we are rethinking about how much longer.

If that's going through your mind now, it's probably time to begin the adjustment. Dealing with property is the biggest problem. It doesn't move like it did in the old days.
I'm in this boat as well and I've already come to terms with the fact that I may be giving my house to a friend.

DENNIS - 9-9-2012 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
She's on oxygen, in a coma, paralyzed on one side..we have thought of an ambulance but was told we'd need 2 drivers, 2 paramedics. Cost around $10,000 us dollars.

This company in Ensenada, took me from Ensenada to right across the border where they handed me off to Paramedics for the 20 mile remainder of the trip to Kaizer.

Cost on Mexico side... $160 DLLS

US SIDE $ 1800 Dlls

You may want to give them a call:

Their card says "Air and Land"

DIANAMED

[646] 1760663

[646] 1760664

wwwdianamed.com.mx

email.......cdianamed78@hotmail.com

Bill Collector - 9-9-2012 at 01:28 PM

Thanks Dennis, I sent them a email asking for a quote. Not sure if they fly out of Cabo. Just got one bid $20,000.
Barb

DENNIS - 9-9-2012 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dennis, I sent them a email asking for a quote. Not sure if they fly out of Cabo. Just got one bid $20,000.
Barb

Maybe Capt.Mike has some ideas on this.

Considerations

Mulegena - 9-9-2012 at 01:49 PM

Why not get this lady transferred to a regional Seguro Popular/ISSTE hospital such as the new facility in La Paz?

If she is stable and long-term care is needed could she and spouse return to their home in Baja and in-home care be arranged for them?

Have her next of kin been contacted?

Who is acting as her medical and financial power of attorney? Are they doing this legally based on her written advanced directives?

Edit: Not suggesting you answer these questions publically, however I feel they're pertinent to her situation.

[Edited on 9-9-2012 by Mulegena]

prorader - 9-9-2012 at 05:53 PM

This lady as bad as it is, is at the end of her life, I am not a doctor but all that has been said, suggest as hard and honerable your quest is, maybe you need to step back and let her go. The guy is right take her to the new public hospital in La Paz, if she isn't in SP the social workers will evaulate her condition and her finances, probably for free. This is the National Health Care System, I would be surprised if thay didn't take care of her

comitan - 9-9-2012 at 07:01 PM

I have a van with bed, would bring her here to La Paz if that would help. That hospital she's at now will have to be paid before they will let her leave.u2u

Bill Collector - 9-9-2012 at 07:15 PM

Comitan check your U2U
Thanks for the offer, that means a lot
Barb

toneart - 9-9-2012 at 07:32 PM

This is the kind of volunteer I was suggesting. Thank you Comitan for stepping up. I sincerely hope that this works out to be a solution.
Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
I have a van with bed, would bring her here to La Paz if that would help. That hospital she's at now will have to be paid before they will let her leave.u2u

Mulegena - 9-10-2012 at 08:50 AM

The hospital may present the family with a bill but if they cannot pay, it is just that.

Transport anywhere should be done by professionals, imo, who are equipped, trained and legally responsible.

Bottom line, the hospital probably wants her out and will make efforts to this effect. She's stable and safe. Wait and see.

wish i could

capt. mike - 9-10-2012 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Barb

Maybe Capt.Mike has some ideas on this.

but it just is the system, you need to plan and insurance is what works. i know of no other solutions but paying out of pocket. the DAN think might be an option.

CortezBlue - 9-10-2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
cortezblue-

You misread something, the Evac insurance most definitely comes with the regular membership:

DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

I read someone's review about a spine injury while trekking in rural Nepal. DAN helicoptered him out to Kathmandu, and then on to Delhi, for no out of pocket cost. Good stuff.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/

AndyP - 9-10-2012 at 02:35 PM

Wow, okay. You're looking at a SEPARATE product: traditional travel insurance for trip cancellation, theft, things like that. Evac insurance, and only evac insurance, is included in the regular membership. Would you please read the link I posted? I really wouldn't care about this, but I find it incredibly irresponsible of you to post misleading information on something potentially so important, with this thread as a particularly good example of why.

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
cortezblue-

DAN TravelAssist®

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/

vivaloha - 9-10-2012 at 06:08 PM

Blessings and peace to the family.
Seems like a very challenging situation for all involved.

Heartfelt sympathies to your family

Medical Emergency

EnsenadaDr - 9-10-2012 at 06:29 PM

You told me they wanted to let nature take its course. What has changed?
Quote:
We have a friend in a hospital in San Jose del Cabo . She's been there since August 14th, we need to get her Medevac out if here. They have NO medevac insurance, nor much money.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Ensenada- this is the female you helped me with. We need her out of here, do you have any suggestions.

The hospital bill is up to $150,000 and rising.

EnsenadaDr - 9-10-2012 at 07:03 PM

There is no long term care in Mexico, without a private pay situation. Seguro Social or Popular does not pay for long term care. Best bet, bite the bullet and pay for transportation to the border, or pretty soon your bill will be $200,000. Not very easy to leave with a hospital bill pending in Mexico.

EnsenadaDr - 9-10-2012 at 07:13 PM

Dennis,

I believe it was the cost on the Mexico side that was $1800 American Dollars and the trip to Kaiser was a $600 deductible. The $180 was the ride to the rehab.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

This company in Ensenada, took me from Ensenada to right across the border where they handed me off to Paramedics for the 20 mile remainder of the trip to Kaizer.

Cost on Mexico side... $160 DLLS

US SIDE $ 1800 Dlls

You may want to give them a call:

Their card says "Air and Land"

DIANAMED

[646] 1760663

[646] 1760664

wwwdianamed.com.mx

email.......cdianamed78@hotmail.com

slimshady - 9-10-2012 at 09:27 PM

No medical insurance and no evac insurance. The Mexican hospital will not let her leave without payment. We treat their citizens here in the states alot better than they treat ours. Here in California no insurance, no social security, no income, no problem. Best of luck, hopefully things work out.

Marc - 9-10-2012 at 09:36 PM

Quote:

I am a member. It's great!

[Edited on 9-11-2012 by Marc]

DENNIS - 9-11-2012 at 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Dennis,

I believe it was the cost on the Mexico side that was $1800 American Dollars and the trip to Kaiser was a $600 deductible. The $180 was the ride to the rehab.

Thanks. It looked wrong when I wrote it.

Mula - 9-21-2012 at 07:09 AM

So what ever happened in this scenario?

Bill Collector - 9-21-2012 at 07:14 AM

She was flown out to San Diego on Sunday. Now being moved to a facility in Ontario

Mula - 9-21-2012 at 07:26 AM

Just wonderful.

Thanks for the update.

Bill Collector - 9-21-2012 at 07:55 AM

Ontario, California

DENNIS - 9-21-2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
She was flown out to San Diego on Sunday. Now being moved to a facility in Ontario

There is a God. :saint:

DavidE - 9-21-2012 at 09:30 AM

Hopefully she can recover enough to have a little joy the remainder of her life.

DENNIS - 9-21-2012 at 09:40 AM

Quote:

Did you have to perform any magic or create miracles that may be of help to others in the future?

Bill Collector - 9-21-2012 at 11:06 AM

Found flying to San Diego from Cabo is the cheapest. Just needed a hospital to accept her.
Just like anything keep asking for a discount. It finally paid off, from $25,000 to $16,000.