BajaNomad

DAN travel assist

bajalorena - 9-10-2012 at 03:14 PM

How about the discussion in this topic continue here.
The medivac post is for suggestions to help someone that doesn't currently have medivac insurance.
Thanks.

Udo - 9-10-2012 at 04:21 PM

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that one had to be both a member of DAM, plus some sort of diving equipment had to be in one's possession when the medieval personnel come to pick you up.

However, DAN has the best evac plan available.

AndyP - 9-11-2012 at 08:50 AM

Udo yes that's wrong. They're very explicit that the medical emergency, be it injury or illness, doesn't have to be diving or water related. However, evacuation is to the nearest suitable hospital so it won't necessarily get you back to the States, meaning it might not be the best choice for everyone. For the price though it's amazing, and has a fantastic reputation.

From https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/individual/:

DAN is divers helping divers, and your DAN membership helps you, too. For only $35+ per year ($55+ per year for a family), you get a host of great benefits while supporting DAN's mission of providing emergency medical assistance and promoting dive safety.
+Residents of Canada add $5.

Join today!
Exclusive Benefits

DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyP
Udo yes that's wrong. They're very explicit that the medical emergency, be it injury or illness, doesn't have to be diving or water related. However, evacuation is to the nearest suitable hospital so it won't necessarily get you back to the States, meaning it might not be the best choice for everyone. For the price though it's amazing, and has a fantastic reputation.

From https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/individual/:

DAN is divers helping divers, and your DAN membership helps you, too. For only $35+ per year ($55+ per year for a family), you get a host of great benefits while supporting DAN's mission of providing emergency medical assistance and promoting dive safety.
+Residents of Canada add $5.

Join today!
Exclusive Benefits

DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

my 2 cents: read the policy! cheap insurance is often cheap for a reason! a good evac policy let's you fly home regardless of severity of injury or emergency. the DAN policy i just read on intertube seems to leave all choice to DAN!!!!

i suspect, but don't know, that good med evac insurance has premiums that increase with age,

Check the coverage

bajaguy - 9-11-2012 at 12:54 PM

Do your research and read the fine print.......

Sometimes cheaper is not better.........

DAN: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.as...

What is the medical evacuation service?

As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist® and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Your medical evacuation coverage begins when you travel at least 50 miles (80 km) from home. To use this member benefit you MUST first contact DAN TravelAssist through the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) BEFORE making any evacuation arrangements.............

Will DAN TravelAssist repatriate me home?

DAN TravelAssist will not pay to transport you or a covered family member to your place of residence if there are closer appropriate medical facilities that are capable of attending to your medical condition.

GEOS MEDIVAC Plus: http://www.geosalliance.com/medivac.html

Much more than just Medivac. Our service is one of the most comprehensive services available. We will look after you all the way from the place of the incident, which occurred at least 99 miles away from your home, to the nearest hospital required to stabilize your condition and finally throughout the medical evacuation to the final hospital of your choice........ We even cover the cost of any emergency treatment required to stabilize your condition so that you may then be safely medically evacuated to your final hospital of choice.....in a medically-equipped and staffed aircraft.

Frontier Med-Ex

Travel-Med Choice: http://www.medexassist.com/Individuals/Products/TravMedChoic...

■Emergency Medical Expenses benefit: $50,000, $100,000, $250,000 or $500,000*
;Deductibles: $100 or $250
■$100,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation benefit
■$20,000 Repatriation of Mortal Remains benefit
■$25,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit
■Physicians' fees and hospital expenses
■Special trip expenses for accompanying travelers, 18 years of age and younger, to home residence
■Special trip expenses for bringing a companion to your side
■FrontierMEDEX Worldwide Travel Assistance Services

redmesa - 9-11-2012 at 01:20 PM

I am thinking Medjetassist because it does not have pre-existing condition exclusion so it is the coverage we will now use. GEO does have an exclusion clause so we can't use them anymore.

Short term coveage

John M - 9-11-2012 at 02:13 PM

GEOS also has short term coverage at what initially looks to be quite affordable

GEOS MEDIVAC+ SHORT-TERM DAILY MEMBER RATES

TYPE OF MEMBERSHIP
US & CANADA MEMBERSHIP
INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP

INDIVIDUAL
US$ 3.75 per day

COUPLE
US$ 7.10 per day

FAMILY
US$11.00 per day

John M

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2012 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
I am thinking Medjetassist because it does not have pre-existing condition exclusion so it is the coverage we will now use. GEO does have an exclusion clause so we can't use them anymore.

read fine print. i think they all have pre-existing condition exclusions, or at least that's what i remember.

many of the policies say they will fly you by jet, and MAY fly you by prop plane IF they have pre-existing local air provider arrangement. of course, none of the sellers will tell you if they have any any local arrangements with baja air charter firms,... so hard to tell which to buy from,...
make sure to have you med emergency near one of the 3 fields that can take jets :lol::lol::lol::lol:

or self-insure -- i have always figured that my emergency savings could fly me home in turbo-prop comfort if in a pinch

[Edited on 9-11-2012 by mtgoat666]

Check......

bajaguy - 9-11-2012 at 02:35 PM

Your insurance policies carefully. We are covered by Med-Ex through our life insurance policy.

redmesa - 9-11-2012 at 07:10 PM

Yes, I did print and read their policy very carefully. I called them twice with questions about terminology in the policy and about the pre-existing condition issue. It seems to be as credible as they ever are and the price for 180 days is affordable. Something is never what it seems until you really need it and then you have to hope for the best. I think Medjetassists is the best we can find for what we need. I thought about just relying on my savings and paying our way for an evac plane but if you are in a serious hospital condition it would be hard to arrange all the necessary people and equipment.

shari - 9-11-2012 at 08:20 PM

when I arranged a medi vac from Guerrero Negro, the patient had Kaiser insurance and they covered the plane costs from GN-TJ when the receipts were given...so good to know some will cover a prop plane too...the GN aeroservicios can land most anywhere and pick you up and is waaaaaay faster than waiting for a medivac to come down from the states.

redmesa - 9-11-2012 at 08:39 PM

If the medivac isn't fast enough then I will be calling in a private plane. Shari, you know we have to get to Canada so I will be wanting a leer jet.

shari - 9-12-2012 at 07:58 AM

the GN plane can only get you to TJ where an ambulance picks you up and whisks you into secondary where the idea is that an ambulance is waiting for you there and take you either to a hospital or another plane.

But I learned that arranging a medivac to come from the states is very time consuming and unless it is arranged early in the morning, it wont get there in time to land in GN the same day...so next time, I wont waste time trying to get a plane from the states...I would immediately call the GN plane and get the show on the road....er in the air.

the insurance company was fine with it and probably happier because it was half of what the USA medivac would have cost the company.

[Edited on 9-12-2012 by shari]

redmesa - 9-12-2012 at 08:22 AM

Yes, whatever works at any given time is my philosophy. A charter to a Tijuana hospital and then a evac from there to Canada might even work....all depending on the situation. All the medivacs I've read about will only work for hospital to hospital if you want to get to a place near your Northern (Canada) home. We won't be stopping into the U.S. for any treatment. God willing for 99% of us this will not be an issue.

Pescador - 9-12-2012 at 08:27 AM

I started using the evac insurance listed on the bottom of the page because when we signed up, my wife had lung cancer and they did not, in fact, have a pre-existing exclusion. And, very important in our case, they always fly you to your home hospital.

BajaBlanca - 9-12-2012 at 03:40 PM

Shari - what is a good number for the GN plane ?

How does one call for an ambulance in TJ?

gracias de antemano.

msteve1014 - 9-13-2012 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Shari - what is a good number for the GN plane ?

How does one call for an ambulance in TJ?

gracias de antemano.

This would be great info. to have filed away somewhere, before we need it.