BajaNomad

Got Banamex? You need a new debit card

oladulce - 9-12-2012 at 07:51 AM

Banamex has changed their debit cards from the magnetic strip type to one with a chip. After Sept 10 (last Monday) they say the old cards will not work at ATM's and some merchants.

I'd been ignoring the emails from the bank about their new chip cards and happened to finally read one and discovered that they aren't giving you an option, you have to get one of the new chip cards!

When you go in to your branch they'll give you your new card(s) that that time but you must wait 24 hrs before activating the new one. They'll cut up your old card so you'll be without a card until you activate the new one so get your pesos before your start the process.

To activate the new card:

Plan to spend a bit of time at your bank - they have a mound of paperwork to fill out by hand to issue you a new card. The PIN-changing process was a bit confusing because the machine doesn't tell you to insert your card twice- we finally had to consult an employee. Hope this info helps.

BajaBlanca - 9-12-2012 at 07:52 AM

thanks for the heads up !

comitan - 9-12-2012 at 09:50 AM

Used my Banamex card today no problem. Used 2 cards one was only a month old.

[Edited on 9-12-2012 by comitan]

oladulce - 9-12-2012 at 12:52 PM

You got me comitan? Here's what the Banamex email said:

Por tu seguridad, debes sustituir tu actual Tarjeta de Débito por la nueva Tarjeta con Chip en cualquier Sucursal Banamex antes del 10 de septiembre de 2102. Si aún no la has cambiado, hazlo ahora sin costo alguno.

La Tarjeta de Débito Banamex con Chip te brinda protección contra fraude y clonación, reforzando la seguridad de tus operaciones:

A partir del 10 de septiembre de 2012, las tarjetas con banda magnética podrán ser desactivadas para su uso en comercios y cajeros automáticos.

Acude a cualquier Sucursal Banamex y solicita tu Tarjeta de Débito con Chip hoy mismo.

akshadow - 9-12-2012 at 01:59 PM

My stateside debit card is also a credit card. My bank has different rules for each type of transaction. Maybe the date only applies to debit transactions? did Comitan use it as credit or debit?

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
You got me comitan? Here's what the Banamex email said:

Por tu seguridad, debes sustituir tu actual Tarjeta de Débito por la nueva Tarjeta con Chip en cualquier Sucursal Banamex antes del 10 de septiembre de 2102. Si aún no la has cambiado, hazlo ahora sin costo alguno.

La Tarjeta de Débito Banamex con Chip te brinda protección contra fraude y clonación, reforzando la seguridad de tus operaciones:

A partir del 10 de septiembre de 2012, las tarjetas con banda magnética podrán ser desactivadas para su uso en comercios y cajeros automáticos.

Acude a cualquier Sucursal Banamex y solicita tu Tarjeta de Débito con Chip hoy mismo.

comitan - 9-12-2012 at 02:20 PM

Debit.

jbcoug - 9-12-2012 at 02:41 PM

Does anyone know if this new technology would effect us visitors attempting to use just the ATM with the old type magnetic card?

John

Jim/Liisa - 9-12-2012 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Banamex has changed their debit cards from the magnetic strip type to one with a chip. After Sept 10 (last Monday) they say the old cards will not work at ATM's and some merchants.

I'd been ignoring the emails from the bank about their new chip cards and happened to finally read one and discovered that they aren't giving you an option, you have to get one of the new chip cards!

When you go in to your branch they'll give you your new card(s) that that time but you must wait 24 hrs before activating the new one. They'll cut up your old card so you'll be without a card until you activate the new one so get your pesos before your start the process.

To activate the new card:

• Remove the card from the paper and you'll see the PIN number underneath
  • Insert card in to ATM and the machine will scan the card (don't insert and remove immediately like the old cards)
  • Type in the PIN that came with the card
  • At this point you have to change the PIN number to proceed further so select "Cambio NIP"
  • You must insert your card again and proceed to change the PIN to your personal number as directed.
  • After changing your PIN, check your account balance
  • Your new card is activated

Plan to spend a bit of time at your bank - they have a mound of paperwork to fill out by hand to issue you a new card. The PIN-changing process was a bit confusing because the machine doesn't tell you to insert your card twice- we finally had to consult an employee. Hope this info helps.

I have also heard Bancomer has started this too. We have tried to contact both Citibank and Citibank/ BanamexUSA to find out if we can get the card with the chip the answer was no. We are heading down next week and we always pull money out of the ATM at Banamex, the whole time we stay wich could be up to 6 months at a time.

This system is now used all over Europe. Not sure what the tourest are doing? I guess this is another issue that will hurt all of Baha. What the hell are the banks hear in the US doing about this since they are aware or this being done all over the country except here in the USA.
We depend on using the ATM card.

comitan - 9-12-2012 at 04:11 PM

I would think that it would take a totally new type ATM and they haven't changed to my knowledge.

oladulce - 9-12-2012 at 06:19 PM

At a Banamex ATM we used both types of cards without a problem- the chip card to activate it and a magnetic strip/conventional card to withdraw cash from a US account.

The chip cards don't look any different except for the lack of the strip on back.

[Edited on 9-13-2012 by oladulce]

windgrrl - 9-12-2012 at 07:59 PM

Some machines will work for both chip and magnetic swipe, but the trend (north of the 49th anyway) is towards chip function only being available.

Jim/Liisa - 9-19-2012 at 01:41 PM

Watch those cards with chips!!!

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em