BajaNomad

El Grito de La Independencia!

Mulegena - 9-14-2012 at 05:48 AM

http://www.inside-mexico.com/featureindep.htm

Saturday night, September 15, about 10 pm, a gathering of celebration
on the plazas of towns and cities throughout the country.
If you've in Baja this weekend, be sure to attend.
You'll find all of Baja in a celebratory mood!

Let's post our pictures here on Nomad. Viva Mexico!

[Edited on 9-14-2012 by Mulegena]

shari - 9-14-2012 at 07:20 AM

Guerrero Negro puts on a spectacular pageant on Independance Day...by far the best one in central baja if anyone is passing through there...dont miss it. They have their traditional fiestas this weekend so there will be lots of events.

Also there is a big fiesta in Pta.Abreojos with a fishing tournament, surf competition, horse races and other events...party time!

DavidE - 9-14-2012 at 07:34 AM

One little padre had a lot of guts to shout out the call for independence from Espaņa. He and many others paid for it dearly. Many Mexicans harbor feelings of pride about this celebration, it hasn't gotten lost or submerged like America's 4th of July holiday. Every aficionado owes it to themselves to attend a grito and experience it.

Thanks for the warning....

EnsenadaDr - 9-14-2012 at 08:36 AM

I was going to head down to Mexico this weekend to escape the insufferable heat of East County, San Diego and not waste my sister's A/C (my apartment in Ensenada is on the first floor and very cool during the day with a fan) after just arriving back from a trip. The Grito is a loud conglomeration of Banda Music and screaming that I never much cared for especially since my neighbors play Banda in my backyard all night so I won't get any sleep..so I will stay holed up in the A/C all weekend I guess...a much quieter and comfortable option thank you. By the way, what's all the screaming about?

DavidE - 9-14-2012 at 08:57 AM

Well, I've heard the Grateful Dead at 100 db on Easter Sunday in the USA, and Mexico does have a hundred twenty million people, so youngsters will party. Especially those in the border semi-gringo areas. But go to a smaller town and attend a Grito and I guarantee you will not hear Banda, or Corridos during the observance, maybe later, even fireworks. But this is Mexico. If you are quiet you are either sick or dead. The 4th of July means barbecues, baseball games turned way up, and pretty skyrockets after sunset. God forbid if someone should stumble across a copy of The Declaration of Independence, printed or posted somewhere.

[Edited on 9-14-2012 by DavidE]

EnsenadaDr - 9-14-2012 at 09:13 AM

Better Jerry Garcia than Banda...better my neighbors inviting me over for a barbeque instead of banda all night long.

shari - 9-14-2012 at 01:12 PM

most towns & villages present a cultural program with fokloric dancing, musical numbers, poetry & plays as part of the evening's program and then around 10-11, the mayor, president, dignitary types, ring a bell and shout various VIVA things and then the big VIVA MEXICO...VIVA MEXICO...VIVA MEXICO....

there are usually traditional food stands with mexican favorite antojitos like tamales, sopes, burritos, tostadas, champurada etc. Most of the town attends and it is a nice ceremony....no banda here...maybe some mariachi though.

In Guerrero Negro they close off the street and bring in a big band from the Mainland for the dances...usually an excellent show band and great to dance to. So if you are in Mexico, have a nap, get gussied up and go downtown to enjoy the celebration.

DavidE - 9-14-2012 at 01:39 PM

Well as my parents used to warn me: "If ya don't like Lawrence Welk, stay out of a retirement home".

Banda, is OK, Banda coupled to bass drum size car speakers and an amplifier that costs more than my car, is a little hard to bear. Glasses rattling, mice scurrying across the floor as they abandon their outdoor home, and an accordion that sounds like it's in bed next to you, can lead to a long night.

I can guarantee "The Carpenters" singing "We've Only Just Begun" or "Barry Manilow" or even "Bob Dylan" at 100 db can drive a Mexican to consider suicide after a few hours.

It's a cultural thing. Gotta roll with the punches.