BajaNomad

Any WSB or halibut at Gonzaga?

dizzyspots - 9-14-2012 at 01:01 PM

Headed to GB in 3 weeks...have gotten bass, triggers and sierra...and a single small rooster (yeah, I know..there arent any roosters in GB). Anyway...Baja Catch indicates Cortez halibut in the small cove N of the spit...and WSB in the channel between WIllard and Papa's...any evidence??

baitcast - 9-14-2012 at 03:25 PM

You are correct there are and have been roosters in gonzaga since day one,at one time there were a good number of roosters and larger models at that,they spawned the the same area as will,seen some in Puertecitos bay chasing mullet on two occasions and caught two little fellows 12" 15" just south of town.

Your timning should be pretty good for WSB but a little early for the few Butts are are normally around,to target Butts will be slow fishing,small wsb will chum around with corvina,the bigger models will be at the islands,late in the year is corvina time,break out the topwater and have a good time.

while your fishing the corvina you may run into a small Totuava who also thinks they are corvina,they are making a small come-back!!
Rob

[Edited on 9-14-2012 by baitcast]

David K - 9-14-2012 at 03:38 PM

I once saw a Rooster caught at Nuevo Mazatlan (25 miles south of San Felipe).

[Edited on 10-9-2012 by David K]

willardguy - 9-14-2012 at 03:40 PM

any halibut will be an incidental catch, you have a great chance of catching three different fish that all look like WSB. check the mouths and the tails! and they all taste goood.:bounce:

baitcast - 9-14-2012 at 03:47 PM

Just don't get caught with one of them:lol
Rob

David K - 9-14-2012 at 03:51 PM

They are very tasty... Irma served some a few years ago... and had to whisper in my ear what kind of fish it was, when I asked! Do any of you remember when totuava was a menu item at Anthony's in San Diego?

willardguy - 9-14-2012 at 04:03 PM

you wanna leave the carcass at sea anyway, right?:saint:

pascuale - 10-8-2012 at 01:47 PM

There are more halibut around snoopy rock than you could imagine, spring time best into summer. I must have caught or speared 50-60 over the years.

mcfez - 10-8-2012 at 02:52 PM

Absolutely!
Go up that hill...and over. Nice primitive camping area. If there is a chain across...the caretaker will undo it.

Quote:
Originally posted by pascuale
There are more halibut around snoopy rock than you could imagine, spring time best into summer. I must have caught or speared 50-60 over the years.