BajaNomad

Thank You, US Customs, Immigration and Border Patrol

GC - 9-15-2012 at 08:40 AM

I just had a very positive experience with US Customs and Border Patrol personnel. We were headed North from our home in Punta Banda to join some friends for a camping/fishing trip in Washington and Oregon in our motor home and decided to cross at Tecate. As we were pulling up to the inspection booth, our transmission failed. Fluid was pouring out and there was so much smoke that we appeared to be on fire. The motor home ended up between the booth and Secondary where it would not move any further. Luckily, cars could pass behind us and get around us, so we were not blocking the border, but we were affecting their operation. It was several hours before the tow truck could get there and pull the motor home away from the border and then on to the Ford dealer in El Cajon.

During this ordeal, all of the Customs, Immigration, and Border Patrol people could not have been more understanding or helpful. Finally away from the border, we were on our way to meet the tow truck when we stopped at the Border Patrol check point on Hwy 94. We were surprized when they asked us if we were with a motor home and did we have our check book? We thought we did, but when we looked around our car we realized that we were missing a bag that had check books, a wallet with money, and several other things in it. We had left it in the waiting area of Secondary, and when they found it they called ahead to the check point. We turned around, and drove back to the border. After checking my ID, they gave me the bag and everything was still there.

Needless to say, that was a day that we never want to repeat, but it could have been a lot worse. A big Thank You to our US Customs, Immigration and Border Patrol personnel at Tecate, they went beyond the call of duty to help us.

Mexitron - 9-15-2012 at 08:47 AM

Nice to hear!

We were sent to secondary inspection after our last trip a few weeks ago and the immigration guy gave us a pretty thorough going over but he was very courteous at all times.

DENNIS - 9-15-2012 at 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, George. Glad you got some respect out of those guys.
If there's anything I can do for you here in PB, lemme know.

David K - 9-15-2012 at 10:43 AM

Viva Tecate!

BajaGringo - 9-15-2012 at 10:53 AM

I have noticed a steady improvement with our interactions with the guys in blue at the border. There is the occasional jacka$$$ but most have been professional and courteous lately. I figured they were weeding out / transferring the problem agents as it's been a long time since I have seen many of the old (and all too familiar) "friendly, smiling" faces that CBP promises us as you drive up to the booth. The majority of them lately have been exactly that and actually say "thank you" when you wish them a nice day before pulling away.

DENNIS - 9-15-2012 at 11:25 AM

Got a real card-carrying jerk in the Otay Ready Lane a few days back. He was being trained by another agent. Talk about stoopid questions along with the deep eye to eye stare like he's trying to read your mind. They do that on those Poker shows.