BajaNomad

4th Gen 4Runner Driveshaft Clunk

Wally - 9-16-2012 at 09:31 AM

If you've got a 4Gen 4Runner you probably have this issue. Toyota issued a TSB for replacement a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23297

David K - 9-16-2012 at 10:35 AM

Very nice of you to think of others...

For non-Toyota folks: A TSB is a Toyota (or Technical) Service Bulletin. It means that enough Toyotas have experienced an issue for Toyota to let their service technicians know about it and provide a fix for it. TSBs are posted online by Toyota forums so you can print it out and take with you to avoid any argument.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2005 Tacoma had one for the 'Harsh Ride' as they called it, I called it 'too soft springs' so my truck would bottom out with any extra load in back. Sadly, I did know about TSBs then nor did my service dept. offer to fix the issue when I complained... so I paid Off Road Warehouse to add Ride Rite Air Bags and Bilstein 5100 shocks, problem solved! Toyota's free fix is to replace the three leaf springs with 4 leaf. From what I hear, my solution works better.
(My 2010 Tacoma has never had that problem, even though it is still a 3 leaf spring... so better springs, I guess?)

jbcoug - 9-16-2012 at 11:21 AM

David, Why would Toyota need such a thing? ;D
John

Wally - 9-16-2012 at 11:25 AM

Not just Toyota. Every manufacturer issues them.