BajaNomad

New Weather Satellite In Polar Orbit

DavidE - 9-17-2012 at 07:23 PM

METOP 2,

Five tons worth, multi-sensors. Will compliment USA satellites. Supposed to improve accuracy of projected hurricane tracks. That'll be nice, the accuracy, not the huracánes.

Ateo - 9-17-2012 at 08:40 PM

Very cool. I'm always interested in hearing about these technological marvels that we launch into space to get a better understanding of the natural world. Hopefully it'll save some lives, or at least expand our data.

BajaSerg - 9-17-2012 at 10:06 PM

Yup me too........thanks :cool:

vgabndo - 9-18-2012 at 02:12 PM

Thanks for pointing out this amazing project. Tested in France with German and French parts it was launched from Russia's space port. This article describes testing on THIS vehicle 8 years ago!
http://www.esa.int/esaLP/SEM1YHZ990E_LPmetop_0.html

An aside but relating to seeing from above. Northern California was overflown by Google Earth on the seventh of July. I can count the tomato plants in my garden, and tell the potato rows from the raspberries!!! Creepy cool. Not so good for anyone who has something to hide!

THE 29TH LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE A LITTLE ROUGH

DavidE - 9-18-2012 at 02:19 PM

vgabndo - 9-18-2012 at 08:55 PM

"Slashing our throats on the cutting edge of technology"

A grease pencil never cheated me like a bar code.

Ya still with me DE?:lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 9-18-2012 at 09:26 PM

I still am worried about the high temperature crossing the low temperature twice. The first time there's going to be an argument for sure but the second time may mean the Mayans were off on their calendar a bit.

[Edited on 9-19-2012 by DavidE]