BajaNomad

Calafia - Rosarito

briantroy - 9-20-2012 at 01:05 AM

Hey Guys,

It's been a little while, but it's good to see the same old arguments, discussions, shared memories and general Nomad stuff going on.

I know many of you are not familiar, nor wish to be familiar with the happenings of Rosarito, I would like to ask a question.

My folks and I want to buy a condo north of Ensenada as a vacation house. They want to be near the grandchildren and I would like an easy commute on woking days.

We are looking at Calafia and I was just wondering if anybody has info that might be pertinent. Dad was born in Mexico, so we don't need a fidecomiso, but we have been advised by an attorney and real estate people that he should purchase as a US citizen anyway because the trust will already be set up when we (eventually?) sell.

Any info is appreciated, you guys are always great.

Thanks!

QUETZALCOATL - 9-20-2012 at 05:28 AM

Calafia area is beautiful, however on the buying of a house as a US citizen heres my input-when we bought our home in Rosarito we bought from an American, my wife is Mexican,anyway he had a rough time with the things he had to do to sell it plus it cost him a bit. There is also the issue of the trust-I think my non Mexican neighbors were paying 1700.00 yearly for a single lot,where as we were paying about 90.00 on a double lot in taxes. When we sold it we had no problems what so ever but...we sold to a dual citizen.On a side note-if an easy commute is needed have they checked out Del Mar or Baja Malibu just north of Rosarito-located on the toll road 14 mls from border and an easy commute especially with a pre pagar for the toll.Good luck,hope this helps some.

Club Marena

bajaguy - 9-20-2012 at 08:10 AM

Before you get serious about anything, i suggest you look at Club Marena. established property, well maintained, great location just south of Califa.

I know several people who own there and they speak highly of it.

SDRonni - 9-20-2012 at 02:47 PM

Check out Las Olas Grand, directly south of Calafia towers. We've been here 2 1/2 years and love it....

DENNIS - 9-20-2012 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
but we have been advised by an attorney and real estate people that he should purchase as a US citizen anyway because the trust will already be set up when we (eventually?) sell.

I would get second opinions on that. Something about it just doesn't sound right. It may be true as I believe the Fideicomiso is set up for the entire complex to begin with, but look into it anyway.

briantroy - 9-20-2012 at 06:46 PM

This isn't my first rodeo. We have a pending lawsuit with the the developers at Playa Blanca, just north of Malibu. I understand the risks and dangers. I am looking for hard factual info and I appreciate everyone's help. Club Marena is a bit out of our price range. We are looking 200 cash. I am just looking to see what people hear about Calaia?

Terry28 - 9-20-2012 at 06:49 PM

On the trust thing, it sounds like they, Calafia, has a master trust, one each owner is a part of..as opposed to having a individual trust. Then that would make sense as most likely the new owner would be a u.s. citizen. Other wise why have a trust if you could get the "pink slip" as a mexican national?? And those are Condos, so all are on the same land parcel.....

briantroy - 9-20-2012 at 07:10 PM

Interesting. Never heard of that. This is why you guys are such a valuable resource.

El Comadante Loco - 9-21-2012 at 08:11 AM

My buddies an I bought 100 meters of beach front on K 62 south of San Felipe. Since I have dual citizen ship I held title to the property until we formed a Mexican Corp to take the land.. What an experience!!!! not to do again.
Taxes for the land this year were a whopping 425 pesos
Take title as Mexican much easier. Make sure your wife has all her papers to document her Mex citizenship and since you are married to Mexican you are eligible to get your Mexican papers as a resident.

Enjoy

briantroy - 9-21-2012 at 09:17 AM

Comandante, I am not married. I could gain dual citizenship because my father was born/raised in Ciudad Juarez, but I have not done such yet. I am curious if anyone has dirt on Calafia or suggestions about fidecomisos or buying as a citizen. Thanks!

Si se Puede

El Comadante Loco - 9-21-2012 at 10:34 AM

Braintroy

you can claim your Mexcian papers, you will need your fathers Mexcian birth certificate. There is a bunch of paper work to do.
Contact your nearest Mexican Consulate ask them Nacionalidad and start the paper work there.. If you need help let me know...
Better to buy as a citizen... Less hassle and more savings..

woody with a view - 9-21-2012 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
Comandante, I am not married. I could gain dual citizenship because my father was born/raised in Ciudad Juarez, but I have not done such yet. I am curious if anyone has dirt on Calafia or suggestions about fidecomisos or buying as a citizen. Thanks!

i have a friend whose dad-in-law bought 2 condos in the first tower when they hit the market. if you want to talk to him give me your contact info thru u2u and i'll put you in touch with him.