BajaNomad

Must have items!

striperphil - 9-27-2012 at 05:51 PM

Hello all, I'm coming to Baja for the first time on the third week of October. Can't wait. We're staying at Rancho Leonero and will be fishing out of their cruisers for a few days. We will also be using kayaks a couple of days and they told us to bring our own tackle for this as there is none to be had in the area.
Space is a factor, so what do I HAVE to have? I've packed a couple of 20 lb spinning reels and a couple of 20 lb conventional reels. (will rent rods at the ranch) I've packed several plastic jerk baits (rapala x raps, etc), crocodile spoons, a couple of topwater baits, plastic swimbaits and twister tails, various hoochies, a couple of lead baits, and a couple of sibikis. What else would you vets add to the "must have" list.
Thanks for the help, Phil

PS should I bring anything extra to use on the charters????

woody with a view - 9-27-2012 at 06:29 PM

until you have +/- $300 worth of lures, weights, jigs and spoons, etc.... that sit unused in a box you don't have enough gear. and i'm being conservative!

just go! it's just fishing. you will catch fish. let the guides do their job and report back here with all the details and fotos!

wessongroup - 9-27-2012 at 06:36 PM

Ditto's ... :):)

bigmike58 - 9-27-2012 at 07:10 PM

we catch everything jigging with this...walmart has em cheap..the chrome comes off super fast..high quality chinese chrome..
10 oz shiney or hammered finish

IRON !!!

captkw - 9-27-2012 at 07:14 PM

striperphil - 9-27-2012 at 07:24 PM

Maybe you're Walmart has em! hahaha I'm in southern KY. But......that's what the internet is for. I will latch onto some iron. Sizes???? 10 ozs???? That's probably heavier than my tackle will handle. May have to throw in a 40 lb outfit. Keep em coming, and thanks. Phil

bigmike58 - 9-27-2012 at 07:28 PM

youre dropping to 300 ft this time of year..water temp is high 80's.. you can go 6-7 oz..just takes forever to drop.... big bait=big fish, sometimes :)

willardguy - 9-27-2012 at 07:42 PM

if space is a factor i would leave the coffee grinders at home, and go with big mike's stingers for sure!:yes:

Skipjack Joe - 9-27-2012 at 08:09 PM

As I read it you will be provided with tackle for the cruiser but need advice on tackle for the kayak?

One thing I would suggest is to switch from 20lb on spinning reel to 12lb Pline on spinning reel. You will get a lot more distance and the 12lb Pline is incredible strong and abrasion resistant. The "coffe grinder's" are good when casting from shore or kayak fishing.

Howard - 9-27-2012 at 08:41 PM

Cedar Plug, natural color and a bottle opener.

BajaBruno - 9-29-2012 at 12:19 PM

Some fluorocarbon leader. Maybe 20# or 30#. Easy to pack and hard to find down south. If you use circle hooks, it's best to bring some of those, too, particularly in the sailfish/marlin sizes.

woody with a view - 9-29-2012 at 12:52 PM

be careful with these!

643940_507785689249173_2018907578_n.jpg - 17kB

watizname - 9-29-2012 at 02:45 PM

OOWWWW----Woody. Didja hafta put that in there????OOOWWWW!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o:o:o

bacquito - 9-29-2012 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
OOWWWW----Woody. Didja hafta put that in there????OOOWWWW!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o:o:o

OUCH!! What damage was done??

bajaguy - 9-29-2012 at 03:11 PM

An FMM, Case or two of Pacifico and a waterproof camera......as "they" say, "no photos, it didn't happen"!!!!!!! :lol:

acadist - 9-29-2012 at 04:18 PM

just don't take pictures of your marlin catch:light:
sorry, couldn't resist

David K - 9-29-2012 at 04:21 PM

Wow

BajaBlanca - 9-29-2012 at 08:50 PM

no pics of marlin marlin marlin?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

so funny !!!!

BajaBlanca - 9-29-2012 at 08:55 PM

welcome to bajanomad striperphil !! I see you are a new to the site, so ... if you want to understand the inside joke about marlin - look up the thread I started a couple days ago called MARLIN MARLIN MARLIN

and all kidding aside - post a pic at your own risk !

Can I ask how you heard about Baja ? We are kinda far fromKentucjy !

sd - 9-30-2012 at 12:16 AM

Hi Phil,

Rancho Leonero is a great place, you will catch fish and have fun.
Bring;
Roberts original Ranger for casting for rooster fish from shore or kayak. Available by mail order at www.charkbait.com. Bring several as you will loose some on the rocks.
Small good quality hooks
Power bait plastics
Small slip sinkers
Boat towel for kayak
Bring many more lures than you think you will need. Many rocks and you will loose some when kayak or shore fishing.
One gallon freezer bags if keeping fish and a permanent marker
Ice chest and tape to secure it for flight
Full brim hat
Long sleeve T shirts
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
MUST BRING a mask, snorkle and also fins if you have room. Great reefs right in front of the hotel provide nice area to snorkle.

Weather should be fantastic during your visit. Resort is casual, shorts and casual shirt. Bring a light sweatshirt and/or windbreaker.

As soon as you arrive go to the bar area and introduce yourself to Paco. He oversees the boat rentals. Tell him you have no tackle so he can make sure the cruiser has everything needed. Ask him what is biting that day and discuss with him what you might want to fish for. Currently Dorado (a blast) and billfish are the strong bite. Rancho Leonero is a strong supporter of catch and release of all billfish. A small tip is appreciated at this point. He will take your lunch (Mexican or American) and drink order for the boat. It will be loaded on the boat on ice for you in the morning. You will have a captain and deckhand. Maybe pack a couple extra cold drinks for them to drink at day end. Tip them at end of day also. They will ask what you want to fish for, and your boat after leaving the dock will go to a "bait boat" so you can purchase bait. Plan on $20-40 per day for bait.
Your catch can be cleaned by the hotel staff. Another option is to request to have the smoke house pick up your fish for vacuum packing. They will package the fresh fish or smoke it. Then they will freeze it for your return trip. Extra money for this of course. Hotel staff can clean for you and you just tip them and maybe buy them a cold drink.
Take one of your fish to the kitchen if you desire and they will prepare it for your dinner. They can do sashimi (depending on type of catch), grilled or fried.

Have a fantastic trip!

Scot

Skipjack Joe - 9-30-2012 at 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd

Another option is to request to have the smoke house pick up your fish for vacuum packing.

Make sure that the smoked fish they give you is the same as the ones you gave them. Sometimes guys don't find out until they get home.

Not saying Leonoro does that or that it isn't an honest mistake.

striperphil - 9-30-2012 at 02:33 PM

Man, I'm getting fired up about this trip. If I catch a marlin (marlin virgin here), you can bet there will be pictures. But....they will be pictures of a boatside release. We're not keeping any fish except what I can coax the resort into fixing for dinner. I have packed fluero, will double up on lures, and inquire about snorkel gear. I think the ranch rents it, but if not, I will drag it through the airports. Roosterfish is really on my bucket list. Coolest looking fish ever. I do have a few Robert's Rangers, and gear for fishing live bait, what else should I take for them? Thanks for helping a lost country boy out, it's much appreciated.

striperphil - 9-30-2012 at 02:35 PM

PS About the guy with the mirro lure attached to his face. Is that what what happens to gringos that show up with cast nets????

Martyman - 10-1-2012 at 09:22 AM

Bring a lot of money. Leonero charged me $10usd/hr 10 years ago for leaky kayak rental. I'll never go back there. Oh yeah...the food is average at best.

bigmike58 - 10-1-2012 at 05:35 PM

Here is some of the weird chit we catch on the walmart jigs,,, or yigs, ju know, for yigging..

We also caught octopuss and a b-tchin softball size rock!!

striperphil - 10-1-2012 at 09:41 PM

That is weird!

mcfez - 10-3-2012 at 10:56 PM

Fishing license is required ......if you are using anything that floats.

The Baja Catch is useful for kayak fishing.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Baja-Catch-Fishing-California/dp/0...

Make sure you carry a gallon of water in that Kayak BTW.......

docvandijk - 10-5-2012 at 08:43 AM

Sunscreen

[Edited on 10-5-2012 by docvandijk]

wsdunc - 10-5-2012 at 10:37 AM

Sounds like the right stuff, I like Kastmasters, relatively small, retrieved so fast they almost skip on the water, using an 8lb spinning rod from the beach.

striperphil - 10-5-2012 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Fishing license is required ......if you are using anything that floats.

The Baja Catch is useful for kayak fishing.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Baja-Catch-Fishing-California/dp/0...

Make sure you carry a gallon of water in that Kayak BTW.......

Got it! Thanks for all the info guys.