BajaNomad

exotic flowers in Baja Sur

BajaBlanca - 10-1-2012 at 08:57 AM

My neighbor's plant flowered:

and mine did too:

bajajudy - 10-1-2012 at 11:28 AM

Check out the first one. It is a fly catcher.

Feathers - 10-1-2012 at 12:10 PM

Gorgeous!!!!!

cessna821 - 10-1-2012 at 12:15 PM

Hi Blanca

Lovely pictures.  We have this interesting succulent like yours. It's name is Huernia Macrocarpa or Dragon  flower.

You can break lengths off it for other places and it doesn't mind. I have spread it around and given lots away. It is very drought tolerant but will flower if you start watering it after a dry spell.

Marinero - 10-1-2012 at 02:35 PM

Carrion Plant. Smells like dead something.....

BajaBlanca - 10-1-2012 at 03:57 PM

the first one is the carrion plant, right ? I had heard of it before. what a huge flower for a relatively thin branch. I will let my own thirst for a while and then will give it some water to see if it too will flower.

BajaBlanca - 10-1-2012 at 03:59 PM

bajaJudy - I was thinking back to when we saw the biggish flower and you are so right ! It was full of flies inside and I shooed them away to take the shot. fly catcher ....

Stinky flower

tehag - 10-1-2012 at 04:19 PM

I think it's Amorphophallus titanum - carrion flower

Smells like rotting flesh and attracts carrion-eating insects who pollinate it and then leave hungry.

bacquito - 10-1-2012 at 05:54 PM

What ever it is, it is a great photo, thanks

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by bacquito]

ecomujeres - 10-1-2012 at 10:04 PM

The first plant is akin to Stapelia gigantea (not sure how many species in this genus, so it may be another species). For a wonderful visual show, on Yahoo, search for images of "Stapelia" and you'll see the incredible variety.

It is called carrion plant by some. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stapelia_gigantea

It attracts flies, it's principle pollinators. I found that one or two flowers didn't smell too bad, but if you put a whole bunch of plants together and they are all in bloom, then WATCH OUT. Whooeee!

Tehag: Amorphophallus titanum is a rather large plant and can stand taller than a man, It's also called the Titan Arum. It's really cool. There are a few of them at the botanical garden in Berkeley where I volunteer. Here's a link to that bizarre plant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphophallus_titanum

The second plant, not sure. Could be another Stapelia. Can't see the flowers very well, but they look different from what I can see. Close up available?

vacaenbaja - 10-2-2012 at 12:28 AM

The catus flowers with the back drop of the wooden beams and dove tailed
palapa roof makes it look like something John Ramos would paint

BajaBlanca - 10-2-2012 at 08:40 AM

vacaenbaja - that is probably my very favorite spot in all our B&B... it is under a palapa in the back of the hotel and all the plants intertwine with each other... it is party central area in the summers due to the huge picnic table.

Sallysouth - 10-2-2012 at 09:17 PM

Wow.The first time I read your post the big blossom did not show.What a beauty!